Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Mobi Style: When NOT to Mobi
11-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Mobi Style: When NOT to Mobi
Mobi, the Adorables Special unit, is a peculiar one, to say the least. He's the only non-combative Special unit, so he can't come out at early or as easily as Bombshell or Scrambler, since he doesn't aid in his own defense (besides teleporting over some bodyguards).

The point being, I think Mobi is at his best in larger maps, where I have an opportunity to set up a defense before summoning the pink, fluffy, giant whale, and can sneak around defensive forts.

On the other hand, in certain maps, spawning a Mobi oftentimes is synonymous with committing sparkly pixie dust suicide!

Here's what I think:

Sharkfood Island: Since the spawn geometry is so strange in SFI, I'll often spawn a Mobi early (around Turn 9, in time with most Bombshell spawns) for the sake of 'porting Snipers up to my base. He also is my only defense against the incredibly dominating presence of a Shelled Bombshell, and is useful against Feedback when I suspect a Scrambler waiting behind a single layer of Soldiers.

Long Nine: Long Nine is difficult to defend in, since there are so many potential entry-points, so I always spawn Mobi here to set up a strike team. Long Nine games usually have an early offensive followed by a brief ceasefire as both sides build an army, so it's easy to find the time for Mobi, here.

Glitch: Glitch is so compact of a map, that I only spawn Mobi in friendlies when I'm feeling silly. In Ranked, I feel like a sufficiently aggressive opponent can prevent Specials from spawning in this map at all, so Mobi rarely enters the equation on Glitch.

Foundry: I've seen Mobi on the Foundry once, and only once. My opponent, as Player 2, successfully fended off my FTA opening rush (the one where I ignore their Sniper and push units straight into the backdoor), and then my opponent spawned a Mobi to strike my base while my guard was down. Point being, though, that Mobi can help seal your opponent's coffin, but I don't think he can with actually winning, the pace of Foundry matches is too quick for any special besides a shelled Bombshell at the base.

Peekaboo: Being that Peekaboo is the Turtling Capital of Outwitters, Adorable's only defense in Peekaboo against Scallywags is inventive use of Mobi-porting to prevent a Bombshell from becoming too heavily fortified. Against Feedback, Mobi is still my go-to for when I'm ready to base-rush.

Sweetie Plains: Sweetie Plains is pretty huge, and typically slow to develop (besides sparse opening gimmicks), so... you can do whatever you want, here, once your Sniper is secured.

In short: I never spawn a Mobi on Glitch or Foundry. Do you? How much of a disadvantage to the Adorables is it to have their Special unit unviable on certain maps?

Gamecenter: EmuchuSuper-Titan Top 200, #34
"How'd you fix it?"
"I just employed a blunt-impact mechanical stress routine."
"What?"
"I kicked it."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2012, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2012 09:02 AM by Necrocat219.)
RE: Mobi Style: When NOT to Mobi
Ah so you Remember that game from ages ago that I used my small advantage to stealthily use a mobi to finish the game off? I do believe that was our game, I think maybe a while ago though
By the way I know it's only a small thing but the top hex on Sharkfood is always a place where a sniper can get a direct hit

I must admit that I've only spawned a movi on foundry twice: one as a counter measure and one in a fairly even battle that turned into a battle of attrition.

I have spawned mobi's multiple occasions on glitch because I spawn a sniper on pretty much every game, it just helps with positioning. I would much rather have a scrambler or bombshell though

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
11-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Great observations, especially about Foundry. I never really thought about it, but you're right. I don't think I've once found a good opportunity to bring Mobi out on that map.
11-16-2012, 10:19 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2012 10:20 AM by Ser Purple Wolf.)
I used my Mobi on foundry. Once. It's the first post.
I <3 my mobi thread
On glitch, I lost both games that I did...

GC: Great Wolf Sif
11-16-2012, 12:02 PM
yeah! Great observation!

in my opinion, combination of mobi + sniper is very dangerous unit. long distance and powerful unit.

(11-16-2012 08:50 AM)Emuchu Wrote:  In short: I never spawn a Mobi on Glitch or Foundry. Do you? How much of a disadvantage to the Adorables is it to have their Special unit unviable on certain maps?

I found that players seldom spwaned specail unit in Foundry due to spending most of their wits to attack/defense.
11-16-2012, 11:46 PM
I usually spawn a mobi when playing on Glitch, I like using move, hit, then mobi-back techniques on that map a lot.

Foundry isn't a real map, it's dumb.
11-17-2012, 01:10 AM
In glitch I always spawn Mobi in turn 2 and always win with that rush.
11-17-2012, 09:12 AM
When I do play adorables, I never really spawn an early mobi. Feels like there's not much to do with it with little units. I wait till about turn 25ish (given correct conditions) to spawn one.
11-17-2012, 10:29 AM
(11-17-2012 09:12 AM)laYahooz Wrote:  When I do play adorables, I never really spawn an early mobi. Feels like there's not much to do with it with little units. I wait till about turn 25ish (given correct conditions) to spawn one.

I can agree with this. Mobi feels like the hardest Special unit to guard, since he's only a utility unit and doesn't add to your power. Bombshell is difficult to take down if you just buff and shell it, and provides an immediate threat, and Scrambler is dangerous just by floating around in the shadows, which keeps opponents away until they can scout his location, whereas I feel Mobi needs his team's defenses up before he can effectively come into play. Early Mobis, besides the silly FTA Turn 3 Mobi shenanigans that I can get away with on the ladder, often end with Mobi dying once my opponent figures out that I used 9+ Wits to spawn a Mobi and that I'm actually at a power disadvantage.

Gamecenter: EmuchuSuper-Titan Top 200, #34
"How'd you fix it?"
"I just employed a blunt-impact mechanical stress routine."
"What?"
"I kicked it."
11-25-2012, 11:41 AM
When I read the title of this thread, I cannot help but think of Psy's song. Smile

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.