Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Fighting the Bombshell matchup
11-06-2012, 04:51 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2012 06:33 AM by Emuchu.)
Fighting the Bombshell matchup
=D It's time for everyone's favorite topic! Love 'em or hate 'em, Bombshell is a game-defining unit that everyone has to base their strategies around. A shelled Bombshell is an immediate, incredibly hardy threat that locks down a large portion of the map. At 4 HP, you're looking to spend a massive amount of Wits to remove one from the field, especially one that is properly entrenched behind a wall of Soldiers.

So, I'm hoping to get some discussion and advice on how to go about facing off against a Bombshell, because I feel like I'm doing this all wrong!

Adorables

As the Adorables, the most reliable way of taking out a Bombshell is by employing the Mobi Sniper technique. The idea is basically to have two Soldiers, Mobi, a Runner, and an unboosted Sniper available when the first Bombshell gets settled. The two soldiers kill one of the Soldiers guarding Bombshell (4 Wits), the Runner moves in to attack Bombshell for 1 HP (2 Wits), and Mobi jumps in to tele-snipe the Bombshell for 3HP (3Wits).

The main issue with the way I've been going about this, though, is that I often lose Mobi in the resulting counter-attack, and suddenly I'm at a severe Wit disadvantage that costs me the round.

One suggestion I've read from a post by Alvendor is to spawn 2 Mobis (making the second as my opponent would be spawning a second Bombshell), making sure that no more than 1 unit is within Bombshell splash range at any time, and saving up 12-15 Wits for the same attack as above, except that I now have a second Mobi to recall my other one with.

Watching some Calmon! replays, he often maneuvers around Bombshell areas, harassing a Bonus or Spawn with Mobi and forcing the Bombshells to change locations (costing 3 Wits and one turn to shell), but I've yet to develop the level of prediction necessary to pull something like that off.

Feedback

So I'll leave the Feedback section open for people who have more experience than me: without Mobi, how do you guys tackle entrenched Bombshells? Go around? Hide a Scrambler somewhere? I'm just now trying out playing these guys, and I'm not sure how to approach with 'em.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2012, 05:25 AM
RE: Fighting the Bombshell matchup
When I try to deel with BS as Feedback I never try to brainwash the BS directly because it is almost impossible, I prefer to brainwash the units (probably soldier) near the BS, attack him, move my scrambled unit and attack with other soldier. It sounds easy on the paper but it is pretty hard to take down BS with Scrambler, I prefer the Mobi.
11-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Here are more cost effective ways to kill Bombshell.

Adorable:

Use two soldiers to kill one of the soldiers (4 wits)
Use a soldier to attack bombshell (2 wits)
Teleport the soldier back (1 wit)
Use another soldier to kill bombshell (2 wits)

This way, you don't lose your Mobi.

Brainwash soldier (2 wits)
Attack Bombshell and move soldier away (2 wits)
Use another soldier to kill bombshell (6 wits)
11-06-2012, 11:53 AM
(11-06-2012 10:00 AM)garcia1000 Wrote:  Here are more cost effective ways to kill Bombshell.

Adorable:

If a Bombshell is covered by a two-layer of soldier wall, it is very difficult for adorable to break it. Please correct me if I am wrong.
11-06-2012, 12:26 PM
(11-06-2012 11:53 AM)terenceshiu2005 Wrote:  
(11-06-2012 10:00 AM)garcia1000 Wrote:  Here are more cost effective ways to kill Bombshell.

Adorable:

If a Bombshell is covered by a two-layer of soldier wall, it is very difficult for adorable to break it. Please correct me if I am wrong.
You'll very rarely see a fortified wall consisting of 2 layers of boosted soldier. Even so, they usually aren't extensive and completely spanning the map.

It's pretty difficult for any team to break through a properly fortified defence to access a bombshell. Adorables have the highest chance of succeeding with minimal losses, whereas Scramblers have a high likelihood of being destroyed when lurking.
11-06-2012, 02:11 PM
I would like to know because my opponent moved very conservative. He did use the soldier wall + bombshell in Peekaboo.
11-06-2012, 04:45 PM
(11-06-2012 11:53 AM)terenceshiu2005 Wrote:  If a Bombshell is covered by a two-layer of soldier wall, it is very difficult for adorable to break it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, in that case adorable should use sniper to attack the outer layer of the soldier wall.
11-06-2012, 05:04 PM
(11-06-2012 04:45 PM)garcia1000 Wrote:  
(11-06-2012 11:53 AM)terenceshiu2005 Wrote:  If a Bombshell is covered by a two-layer of soldier wall, it is very difficult for adorable to break it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, in that case adorable should use sniper to attack the outer layer of the soldier wall.

I thought using sniper could break the the soldier, but I were lack of wits in that battle unlucky....Sad
11-06-2012, 06:04 PM
I appreciate the direction you have taken with this thread. It is far more constructive to attempt to overcome a weakness instead of simply trying to get that weakness artificially removed without putting in any significant prior effort. +rep

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
11-07-2012, 01:14 AM
I don't think that any one thread could possibly explain the best method on how to take care of bombshells....bs is such a dynamic unit whose whole purpose and efficiency can be completely changed by just moving one space....situations with these units are not cookie cutter, each map is different and, on the smaller maps, "one does not simply move around a bs"
I'm all ears, I'm stuck in a 250+ turn battle because I can't do anything about his 4 bombshells, yet he can't get past my medic-reinforced heavies....it's an ugly stalemate
But I do like the fact that this isn't another "bash bombshells" thread, those are annoying