Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Nerf the Scallywags!
10-30-2012, 01:07 PM
Nerf the Scallywags!
The three classes are pretty well balanced, and I do give the devs a lot of credit for having such perfect special units. But honestly, the bombshell is quite overpowered. Not because one of them is a huge problem, but because they are so easily abused!
The Scrambler can be used in pairs or even threes, very very rarely. Mobis almost always go solo; I've only seen two at a time max. But when the opponent whoops out their bombshells, they start coming out in twos, threes, fours, ... because the more you have, the more damage you can cause. When the opponent has 2 bombshells on a small map, you're in a very bad situation.
And even though I play the other classes more, I can honestly say I'd rather face an adorables/feedback opponent rather than scallywags.
Just check out some pro replays:
-Scallywag pwns Feedback outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y4OzeAQw
-Scallywag pwns Adorable outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YsfSuAQw
(the first is a featured replay for week of 10/26/12)
On both of these games, we see that once the bombshells are in position, the other person is quite helpless. On the second one, IMO Adorables had a beautiful rush, and should have won. Scallywags had 3 BS's, and even though Adorables took one out, the # of BS's grew to 4, and they were slowly pushed across the screen to win the game.
Waaay unfair. I have never seen a game where Scallywags lost with more than 3 bombshells on the field. There's a couple nerfs I would suggest:

1. Bombshell cost->6 wits, Bombshell central damage-> 2 dmg.

2. Bombshell cost=7 wits. Bombshell's shield only buffs +1 hp. Bombshell's movement reduced to 2.

3. Bombshell cost=7 wits. Bombshell's movement reduced to 2. Bombshell costs 2 to fire.

4. Bombshell cost->9 wits. Everything else as is.

To keep the game close to now, I support the second option the most. But as of now, the BS provides a pretty unfair advantage, also considering it is the only free class, and tends to drag games out to very long lengths.

You think only Adorables use snipers on SFI?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-30-2012, 01:18 PM
RE: Nerf the Scallywags!
(10-30-2012 01:07 PM)daHsu Wrote:  The three classes are pretty well balanced, and I do give the devs a lot of credit for having such perfect special units. But honestly, the bombshell is quite overpowered. Not because one of them is a huge problem, but because they are so easily abused!
The Scrambler can be used in pairs or even threes, very very rarely. Mobis almost always go solo; I've only seen two at a time max. But when the opponent whoops out their bombshells, they start coming out in twos, threes, fours, ... because the more you have, the more damage you can cause. When the opponent has 2 bombshells on a small map, you're in a very bad situation.
And even though I play the other classes more, I can honestly say I'd rather face an adorables/feedback opponent rather than scallywags.
Just check out some pro replays:
-Scallywag pwns Feedback outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y4OzeAQw
-Scallywag pwns Adorable outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YsfSuAQw
(the first is a featured replay for week of 10/26/12)
On both of these games, we see that once the bombshells are in position, the other person is quite helpless. On the second one, IMO Adorables had a beautiful rush, and should have won. Scallywags had 3 BS's, and even though Adorables took one out, the # of BS's grew to 4, and they were slowly pushed across the screen to win the game.
Waaay unfair. I have never seen a game where Scallywags lost with more than 3 bombshells on the field. There's a couple nerfs I would suggest:

1. Bombshell cost->6 wits, Bombshell central damage-> 2 dmg.

2. Bombshell cost=7 wits. Bombshell's shield only buffs +1 hp. Bombshell's movement reduced to 2.

3. Bombshell cost=7 wits. Bombshell's movement reduced to 2. Bombshell costs 2 to fire.

4. Bombshell cost->9 wits. Everything else as is.

To keep the game close to now, I support the second option the most. But as of now, the BS provides a pretty unfair advantage, also considering it is the only free class, and tends to drag games out to very long lengths.

i like option 2

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
10-30-2012, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2012 04:41 PM by Emuchu.)
(10-30-2012 01:18 PM)TheQwertiest Wrote:  
(10-30-2012 01:07 PM)daHsu Wrote:  /snip

i like option 2

I think the only big issue with the Bombshell unit is how much of their resources its opponent has to dedicate to removing one from the field. Because its max HP is 4, it can't be defeated by any single unit, and requires a minimum of 4 Wits to take down, on top of whatever wall of meat is following him around.

I'm in support of the "Armor=1" idea, since that would give him a max HP of 3, and make an entrenched Bombshell significantly easier to attack, but I don't think it should be bundled with a nerf to movement. It's not the movement that's the issue, it's how much work it is to kill one.

Also, if Bombshells were slower to get around, I'm worried it would encourage camping behavior further.
10-30-2012, 05:28 PM
(10-30-2012 04:40 PM)Emuchu Wrote:  
(10-30-2012 01:18 PM)TheQwertiest Wrote:  
(10-30-2012 01:07 PM)daHsu Wrote:  /snip

i like option 2

I think the only big issue with the Bombshell unit is how much of their resources its opponent has to dedicate to removing one from the field. Because its max HP is 4, it can't be defeated by any single unit, and requires a minimum of 4 Wits to take down, on top of whatever wall of meat is following him around.

I'm in support of the "Armor=1" idea, since that would give him a max HP of 3, and make an entrenched Bombshell significantly easier to attack, but I don't think it should be bundled with a nerf to movement. It's not the movement that's the issue, it's how much work it is to kill one.

Also, if Bombshells were slower to get around, I'm worried it would encourage camping behavior further.

i support the nerfing of the bombshells movement cause the current movement makes it too easy to get into position

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
10-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Just want to share something that came to mind. The bombshell came to life and exclaimed, "I am too powerful. Nerf me." *evil laugh*

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
10-30-2012, 06:56 PM
I think mobi should get 3HP as well, because it is a fat whale. anyone agree?
10-30-2012, 07:22 PM
Couldn't agree more with the statement of the original poster.
Count me in for option 2 as a solution

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.
10-30-2012, 07:22 PM (This post was last modified: 10-30-2012 07:24 PM by joelduque.)
(10-30-2012 05:28 PM)TheQwertiest Wrote:  i support the nerfing of the bombshells movement cause the current movement makes it too easy to get into position

If ever this gets implemented, I think it should be able to attack the same turn it gets into shelled mode.
How about turning friendly fire for the splash on?

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
10-30-2012, 09:01 PM
I agree with mobi idea as well max hp 3 is quite low for such special. Bs has 4 , and scrambler take control of someone..
10-30-2012, 11:48 PM
The biggest advantage a BS provides has to be the amount of wits that can be saved. With its splash damage one wit can eliminate so much expense. For example 3 unboosted soldiers are hit directly one is wiped off the map and the other two are now one hit kills for soldiers potentially saving the BS team 4 wits.

A mobi has a lot of wit saving potential but only in movement, not in attack. The scrambler must really be used carefully to gain any kind of wit savings of overturning a unit to your side but to also boost, move, or attack with the converted unit can be a heavy wit investment not even counting the fact that you may want to try to protect the scrambler from a counter-attack.

For me I kind of like option 1 but keep cost the same.

[Image: sig.png]