Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't friggin' know how to play Peekaboo...
10-26-2012, 08:39 AM
I don't friggin' know how to play Peekaboo...
On most of the other maps I feel pretty good, I have a plan, know where I need to send my guys, etc. But in Peekaboo, I just don't have a clue. I'm all over the place. I always feel like my opponent is at least one step ahead of me, even when I go first. I'm a free player, so I only ever have the Scallywags team. How do you guys tackle this map? Do you have any tips, or strategies?

IronMagus' Replays Thread - Please watch and comment.
Greasemonkey script for Firefox - Open replay links in your browser!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2012, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 10-27-2012 12:07 AM by TheQwertiest.)
RE: I don't friggin' know how to play Peekaboo...
what i usually see in this map is turtling.
you can try to attack a side of his map which is less defended.
im not really a skilled player but what i usually do in this map is try to take over his wit space and when his units move to other side of the map to stop my push i send a unit to block the spawn space.
and when im near their base i calculate to see if he/she can kill my units before i destroy their base.

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
10-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Have to keep a runner on the map so there's no surprises and attacking from your spawn side is usually helps.

[Image: sig.png]
10-26-2012, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 10-26-2012 01:51 PM by Fluffysox.)
Use a runner to check where his medic is placed. It is likely he is going to try to push your wit spaces if his medic is beside his forward spawn.
10-26-2012, 04:49 PM
Peekaboo is a difficult map to play on because you and your opponent are attacking via separate paths, unlike Glitch, where most units funnel through the center (except the ones sneaking around), and Sharkfood, where both of you want to take the top, so it's tough to build an offensive force while maintaining enough units at home to make sure you don't get swarmed, yourself.

So yes, the most common strategy, especially for Scallywags, is to hunker down, build Bombshells and Soldiers, trade some Runners here and there, all the while trying to build up a large enough Wit reserve to charge forward and cause irrecoverable damage in one mighty swoop.

Some players like to take the offensive early on, assaulting the opponent's Wit Space quickly before such a force is assembled, but in my experience, unless you've got Mobi on your side, these early offensives quickly equalize, leaving both players to go back to building stuff for another few turns. This whole map is silly.
10-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Buy something!
10-27-2012, 02:06 AM
I think peekaboo is a pretty interesting map, in my mind the strategy is somewhat similar to playing on Sweetie Plains. In both maps it's all about being the player to control the action on the side of the map where your opponent is weaker, which is the side with the wit space (for both maps). Lately I've been P2 a lot on peekaboo...I enjoy locking down the wit space side and slowly building map control so I can mount an offensive on my opponent's wit space side. The player to control the map in this way wins. I do think the map may be a hex too long, though. Turtling is too easy.
10-27-2012, 04:43 AM
Very hard map for me too and I hate getting placed in it. But my strategy is to always head the direction of your opponents wit space offensively, post defensive ploys towards the center so they can't mess with your spawn, and most importantly ALWAYS spawn a unit every turn. There is only one spawn point on that map so it is imperative to do so, or else you risk being either outnumbered or out of range of attackers who are close to hitting your base (as the runner is the only thing you can spawn/move/attack offenders that are on the side of your base that is furthest from spawn).
10-27-2012, 05:01 AM
Idk if this will help, but here is a recent game I've played.

Not the best in the world...

GC: Great Wolf Sif
10-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Very frustrating map, I'm currently playing against a P1 turtling, I can count four bombshells now.

Sometimes I kill one, but it's absolutely non productive, number of wits I spent for killing one bombshell is ridiculous.

And the guy is slowly moving the bombshells forward.

Nothing I can do.

Extremly frustrating