Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Special Unit Strategies and Replays
07-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Special Unit Strategies and Replays
I purchased the game shortly after reaching Super-Titan. Now I want to learn how to use Feedback and Adorables. I'd like to devote this thread to specific usage formations, tactics, and combos using the special units. Please post any replays showing these kinds of usage.

Kthxbai
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2012, 08:28 AM
RE: Special Unit Strategies and Replays
With the exception of lucky kills, does it seem to be that when your opponent fields a special unit, you need to do so as well?

Just played a game in which I focused mostly on AVOIDING the enemy scrambler. Unfortunately, that cost most of my wits. I feel like if I had a Mobi, I could have easily destroyed it.

Nivra, in partial response to your question, Mobis are most often used for moving snipers around the field. A Mobi and sniper can attack up to 7 spaces away from the Mobi's space at the beginning of the turn, all for 3 wits. Another fun strategy is to close the gap with a heavy or a soldier, kill a unit, and then teleport the attacking unit back to safety. Unfortunately, I don't have any good replays of me using a Mobi. I don't use them often enough, which is partially why I am not as good of a player as I could be.

I AM THE 99.9997%!

[Image: sig.png]
07-22-2012, 08:37 AM
(07-22-2012 08:28 AM)pookywb Wrote:  With the exception of lucky kills, does it seem to be that when your opponent fields a special unit, you need to do so as well?

Just played a game in which I focused mostly on AVOIDING the enemy scrambler. Unfortunately, that cost most of my wits. I feel like if I had a Mobi, I could have easily destroyed it.

I used to think this as well, but I think the best response to a special is often not one of your own. The best defense against a scrambler seems to be a mass of soldiers/runners. This way you have the best opportunity to remove it and whatever it converted from the field. It's easy to spread your units with a mobi, which is exactly the perfect target for a scrambler.

Against a bombshell, it can be better to use those wits to just move your units to attack a less defended area.

A mobi is probably best defended by pushing wherever the mobi is not. The mobi can deliver units to the battle, but if you fight away from it, you completely negate it.
07-22-2012, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 11:56 AM by Bluegodzill.)
Game 1
Game 2
Game 3
Scramblers are pretty useful Wink

Masters again finally Master League

Member of the Wolfpack clan.
07-22-2012, 04:06 PM
(07-22-2012 08:37 AM)Syvan Wrote:  
(07-22-2012 08:28 AM)pookywb Wrote:  With the exception of lucky kills, does it seem to be that when your opponent fields a special unit, you need to do so as well?

I used to think this as well, but I think the best response to a special is often not one of your own. The best defense against a scrambler seems to be a mass of soldiers/runners. This way you have the best opportunity to remove it and whatever it converted from the field. It's easy to spread your units with a mobi, which is exactly the perfect target for a scrambler.

Against a bombshell, it can be better to use those wits to just move your units to attack a less defended area.

A mobi is probably best defended by pushing wherever the mobi is not. The mobi can deliver units to the battle, but if you fight away from it, you completely negate it.

So long story short, I need to just play more and play better. Tongue
Thanks for the specifics though. I'll try to incorporate those next time I come across a well-utilized special.

I AM THE 99.9997%!

[Image: sig.png]
07-29-2012, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2012 09:47 AM by Emuchu.)
(07-22-2012 08:37 AM)Syvan Wrote:  A mobi is probably best defended by pushing wherever the mobi is not. The mobi can deliver units to the battle, but if you fight away from it, you completely negate it.

I'll have to disagree with that. I use Mobi mainly for delivering units to my enemy's base, so having the area around Mobi clear out is exactly what I want. I personally think a Mobi is something that needs to be addressed right away.

Anyway, I have a few good replays demonstrating Mobi-vomiting invasions:

These are in Long Nine:

vs Matt3Adams (Scallywags, 7 turns)

vs. gambit410 (Scallywags, 12 turns)

vs drawwall (Scallywags, 14 turns)

vs. sickboy_76au (Scallywags, 18 turns)

Here are a couple in the Foundry:

vs CrownJewellz (Feedback, 11 turns)

vs girabbit (Adorables, 14 turns)

And lastly, one on Peekaboo:

vs. pawelp65 (Scallywags, 28 turns)

Each one uses Mobi to push Snipers and Heavies through the opponent's lines to strike at their base. Mobi has an almost comical ability to exploit holes in his opponent's defenses; he's not an asset to be ignored.

I don't often have matches in Glitch and Sharkfood Island that are long enough to warrant the presence of Mobi, and for whatever reason, I don't have any replays saved for Sweetie Plains, which is strange because that's my favorite map.

Obviously, I have a lot of room to improve my Mobinvasions: I tend to jump the gun and push more recklessly than I should, but you get the point. As for other uses for Mobi, it's kind of iffy. On siege-type maps, such as Peekaboo, where both sides build up a wall of units and someone has to provoke a fight, you can march forward a Soldier or Runner to strike at key points and use Mobi to recall them, but unless you're striking at a valuable unit, or attacking a vitally important chokepoint, the numbers aren't in your favor.

For example: if you can take out a Runner, that's 3Wits to move, attack, and retreat, compared to the 2Wits it'll cost your opponent to re-spawn and move a Runner back into position. Even if it's been buffed, that'd be a 3Wit runner and you barely break even. It's better if you can take out a Medic or Sniper: it's 2Wits and 3Wits, respectively, alongside all the costs of buffing and moving them back into position, and taking out a Scrambler in this way is hilariously rage-inducing.

But if you're thinking about going guerilla on a Soldier/Heavy... fuggetaboutit! That's 6Wits to send and recall two Soldiers to take out a single enemy Soldier, which'll cost 3-5Wits to spawn, buff, and reposition, and I can't even come up with a way to take out a buffed Heavy that doesn't involve leaving a Sniper exposed, or worse, Mobi himself, so if you're planning that, you're better off provoking a war or starting an invasion, anyway.

Mobi-recalling is good for calling back a lone scout or exposed Sniper or Healer when things turn sour, but I can't see the technique being very useful for siege wars. Playing Mobi means avoiding drawn-out battles and sieges, and looking for cost-efficient ways to exploit weaknesses and outmaneuver your opponent... that's what I think, anyway.
08-11-2012, 05:51 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2012 05:53 AM by nivra0.)
Sudden-death losses in Super-Titan league:

vs. Mobi: Nivra0 vs.Sakhiel

vs. Scrambler: entrepy vs. nivra0
08-13-2012, 04:27 AM
Here's a Scrambler 1v1 and a 2v2. The 1v1 took 3 Scramblers, 60 turns, and some careful planning in the end. These are games I've already posted in the general Share and 2v2 Share threads, so skip them if you think you saw them there.