Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any tips for using scramblers effectively?
02-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Any tips for using scramblers effectively?
I just can't find a good way to use them other then turtling and spawning when your opponent finally pushes. It is especially hard when being poked by mobi play too.

Any suggestions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2013, 11:48 AM
RE: Any tips for using scramblers effectively?
You can push to your opponent base with a scrambler hidden behind too, But hide it carefully since scramblers are the only special units that are designed for 1-2 times use so make sure you get value for what you've scrambled. (Eg. Scramble heavy, soldier adjacent to BS and mobi, special units (rare) or scramble thorn and grow yourself.

1v1 Master League Old Legs Division
2v2 w/dekwat :master:Waiting Beaver Division
02-26-2013, 12:11 PM
idk, I've had good fun scrambling runners. The only thing I usually don't scramble is the medic.

I find that if you keep your Scrambler 1 hex behind your attacking units (so, not right next to them), it shields it from most counterattacks while keeping it in range to scramble the enemy units.

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
02-26-2013, 12:47 PM
(02-14-2013 02:11 PM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YqPLqAgw
OSN
This replay shows me and my opponent build up a huge army spanning from bottom of the map to the top.
Scrambler's fun when you have 3 of them.

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
02-26-2013, 12:49 PM
(02-26-2013 11:10 AM)WildMantaRay Wrote:  I just can't find a good way to use them other then turtling and spawning when your opponent finally pushes. It is especially hard when being poked by mobi play too.

Any suggestions?

Hopefully some of the ST's who play with feedback can comment (Necro, Sir etc). It sounds like you're playing the wrong way to me. Feedback players usually push the envelope early. Waiting longer favors adorables and Scally.

1v1 Super-Titan

2v2 Master League with dakdak97 and boyoxneder

gc:connor3491
02-26-2013, 01:04 PM
(02-26-2013 12:49 PM)connor34911 Wrote:  Hopefully some of the ST's who play with feedback can comment (Necro, Sir etc). It sounds like you're playing the wrong way to me. Feedback players usually push the envelope early. Waiting longer favors adorables and Scally.

Exactly. Although anyone can turtle and stock up an army, Adorables and Scallywags get much more advantage out of turtling because they can slowly chip away at you while Feedback can't do anything. However, Scramblers are also the easiest special to push forward early on (Mobis can also, but it also puts Adorables users very low on unit count). If you're going to play as Feedback, you need to be fast and smart at the same time, since turtling usually leads to your loss.

You think only Adorables use snipers on SFI?
02-26-2013, 01:21 PM
Avoid scrambler chains! Big Grin

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y99L5Agw

College Basketball Tournament for Outwitters!

They call me the weed cutter, the cutie killer, the machine masher, the pirate pulverizer.

Outwitters Name: Coolio - da best
02-26-2013, 01:38 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 01:44 PM by zer0CD.)
(02-26-2013 11:10 AM)WildMantaRay Wrote:  I just can't find a good way to use them other then turtling and spawning when your opponent finally pushes. It is especially hard when being poked by mobi play too.

Any suggestions?

You highlight the ideal situation for a scrambler. They are best when they are the 3 hex "zone of death" around a spawn point. Whenever an enemy unit comes to you, you have easier scrambles and the highest chance of ensuring that your scrambler will stay alive to scramble another unit. This fact is very important because scramblers have exponential growth. The more units 1 scrambler can convert, the higher your wit gain is for each successive mind control. So, scramblers are the best at turning a situation around.

Take this idea and apply this to offense. Scramblers are best as the "second wave of attack" after your initial forces attack the enemy's front line. If your attack was effective, then generally it is very difficult for the enemy to try and kill your scrambler. The best part of this scenario is if they cannot kill your scrambler, then you can mind control more units and make the situation even worse. This situation is ideal, but it also takes a lot of wit and pre-planning to work.

The most practical strength of the scrambler may simply be the "pressure" it exerts on your enemy. Similar to mobi who creates the pressure of a 7 hex range sniper, scramblers have a similar sort of pressure. With effective vision denial, nothing is scarier than knowing a scrambler can jump out and convert a unit in your wall and deal significant damage on your army. Wit space control is a product of this. If you fight over a wit space, then it becomes very scary for your opponent, because the unit they use to take over the wit space could very well be converted by your scrambler.

Given the glass cannon nature of the scrambler despite being a melee unit, exerting external pressure is usually very difficult for a scrambler. For example, even if you see where the bombshell is, it's still very difficult to destroy and it continues to exert pressure. If the opponent knows where the scrambler is, then setting up countermeasures are much simpler. Scramblers thrive off mental pressure and situations where an opponent is forced to move to a certain location (taking over a wit space for example). Scramblers are used best in the hands of gamblers who convert more often on their guesses than they fail.

This is what I am talking about. In this match, almost all the points I highlighted can be seen. The runner I convert entered the zone of death, and also notice that the scrambler was in a situation that it could not get killed on the next turn. This set up the situation where I got to convert another unit and get another kill. The scrambler used as the second line of attack is seen at the very end where I attack his wit space with my units. Even though he kills off a few of my units, the scrambler turns the situation around and I win the match. You'll also notice that scramblers are generally more effective when there are few units on the field. Hopefully you learned a thing or two about using scramblers.
02-26-2013, 07:16 PM
Generally, a scrambler that can be used twice or three times in a row means you're gonna win. Use it so that it's not directly killed is the key.

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
02-26-2013, 07:53 PM
(02-26-2013 01:21 PM)Coolio Wrote:  Avoid scrambler chains! Big Grin

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y99L5Agw
This game is pure awesome!

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!