Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swap spaces movement?
02-16-2013, 07:42 AM
RE: Swap spaces movement?
It would allow the move in 1 turn for 2 wits while now it takes 2 turns and 3 wits. I vote no

[Image: remur.gif]

Click it. You know you want to.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Sorry if someone has mentioned this, I haven't had time to look through the thread, but I think it links to Chess's Castling move (moving rook and king, if not previously moved) Though it would help in a player's efficiency, I think arranging units is part of the strategy that needs to be built from the beginning.

GC: TheGreatAnt
02-16-2013, 03:24 PM
(02-16-2013 07:42 AM)Ryzuma Wrote:  It would allow the move in 1 turn for 2 wits while now it takes 2 turns and 3 wits. I vote no

How does it cost 3 wits and 2 turns? If I wanted to switch spots with two characters all I would have to do is move the first out of the way and move the second one to that spot, that only cost two wits. Try this for an example you can attack them move that unit out of the way and move new unit in and attack again, that there is 4 wits. With the swap space move you would still attack then swap spaces (which costs 2) and attack again, that cost 4 wits as well.

As stated before no long distant swaps could be made and the characters would only be able to swap as far as the person with the least movement between the two. So tanks could swap with someone up to two spaces away, the sniper only one space away and so on.

I'm not trying to cheat the system it is purely just another way to move people around for the same cost.

TheeProdigy
#7Master League
02-16-2013, 03:46 PM
(02-16-2013 03:24 PM)TheeProdigy Wrote:  How does it cost 3 wits and 2 turns? If I wanted to switch spots with two characters all I would have to do is move the first out of the way and move the second one to that spot, that only cost two wits. Try this for an example you can attack them move that unit out of the way and move new unit in and attack again, that there is 4 wits. With the swap space move you would still attack then swap spaces (which costs 2) and attack again, that cost 4 wits as well.

As stated before no long distant swaps could be made and the characters would only be able to swap as far as the person with the least movement between the two. So tanks could swap with someone up to two spaces away, the sniper only one space away and so on.

I'm not trying to cheat the system it is purely just another way to move people around for the same cost.

TheeProdigy
#7Master League

Because you aren't moving away one unit. You are swapping. It takes 2 wits for one unit to move away and the other to take its spot. Then a further wit to move the initial unit into the vacant spot of the second. Since you can't move a unit twice in a turn, you need another turn. Thus 3 wits and 2 turns.
02-16-2013, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2013 05:09 PM by TheeProdigy.)
Ok I see where you get the 3 points from, I was thinking in the way that I don't care where that first person ends up. Because no matter what I want them out of the way. Guess its not a good idea Confused

TheeProdigy
#7Master League
02-18-2013, 08:30 AM
(02-16-2013 04:20 PM)TheeProdigy Wrote:  Ok I see where you get the 3 points from, I was thinking in the way that I don't care where that first person ends up. Because no matter what I want them out of the way. Guess its not a good idea Confused

TheeProdigy
#7Master League

You can almost always do that anyway, since units can move through one another.

As far as 3-2 vs 2-1 people are mentioning.
Neither clearly lends to a more strategic game. It makes it easier for you to do somethings (making the game easier) but also makes it easier for the opponent to do somethings (making the game harder).
Hard to say how that breaks down without a lot more thought.

[Off hand the area that it would impact most is "base pockets", like the one in Foundry; where swapping would allow you to do damage faster while keeping units protecting e/o.]

That said from a game design standpoint the answer is almost clearly no.
While it might be conceptually intuitive that two units can move through eachother the interface for this would be inelegant. You'd essentially have a move option and a swap option for adjacent units that costs 2 wits (when everything else costs 1).

Given that elegance is one of the hallmarks of this game's design I don't see the feature being practical.

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )
02-18-2013, 08:59 AM
It sounds like a decent idea for a super. You could have a super with like a 5 movement range that can swap spots with another unit. Outwitters Ninja!