Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swap spaces movement?
02-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Swap spaces movement?
I for the longest time have thought how the game needs a swap space button/movement option. There are times where I want to switch a unit with another unit right next to it but have to move one way out of the way to get the other into the space I want. The move should still count as 2 wits and count as the movement for both the units.

What do you outwitters think?

TheeProdigy
#7Master League
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-15-2013, 03:33 PM
RE: Swap spaces movement?
I don't like it. Takes away an element of strategy and forgives mistakes

[Image: remur.gif]

Click it. You know you want to.
02-15-2013, 05:04 PM
I've always wished there was an undo button for similar reasons. I realize an undo button would be overpowered (you could move runners around and then undo just to get vision for example), but I've done enough stuff I immediately wished I hadn't done that sometimes I wish it were there

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
02-15-2013, 07:20 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2013 07:26 PM by TheeProdigy.)
The way that I mean it is that if two characters are side by side they can swap spots, not long distant swaps. Also it wouldn't be a undo button once you tell your characters to swap spaces you are locked in for two points spent.

I still think it would be a great addition to the game though Smile

TheeProdigy
#7Master League
02-15-2013, 07:57 PM
(02-15-2013 07:20 PM)TheeProdigy Wrote:  The way that I mean it is that if two characters are side by side they can swap spots, not long distant swaps. Also it wouldn't be a undo button once you tell your characters to swap spaces you are locked in for two points spent.

I still think it would be a great addition to the game though Smile

TheeProdigy
#7Master League

It brings the game away from the 'simple' easy to learn style of the game. Also is breaks the mechanics and strategy of the game. You shouldn't be "excused" for placing a unit in an awkward position.
02-15-2013, 11:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2013 11:26 PM by Necrocat219.)
It could have interesting consequences such as sniper shuffles to take out units and then retreat behind a soldier, but I think it would make flanking much much harder and encourage turtling. And think about what it would do to bombshells! Or scramblers being able to convert then 'tag out'. And the mobi would have an even scarier range than before! And goodness knows what the bramble would do Tongue

Not a bad thought process but I think it would encourage turtling 'break' the mechanics of the game and would overcomplicate things.

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
02-16-2013, 12:09 AM
I think the idea is it would count as the movement for both units, so... you're still moving two units, it still costs two wits to move them, you just get to move touching units to each other's hexes. So if either unit has already moved, the option would not be available. So a shelled shell wouldn't be able to swap, nor a rooted bramble, or any other unit that can't normally move at the time.

I'm not sure the game would be better or worse for it, but if the devs put in wits per kill I could see them putting in a swap move command if they think it would improve the game. It could basically be like the medic ability now, except for every unit, except the medic.. and mobi.. unless maybe you've already used their ability but haven't moved the unit yet. The only "difficult" aspect of it I see is explaining to the user that this action takes two wits.

The Gruff Billies Clan:
Yeah. We ate your grass, bub.
Fluffy League Whatcha gonna do? Fluffy League
02-16-2013, 01:00 AM
(02-15-2013 11:25 PM)Necrocat219 Wrote:  It could have interesting consequences such as sniper shuffles to take out units and then retreat behind a soldier, but I think it would make flanking much much harder and encourage turtling. And think about what it would do to bombshells! Or scramblers being able to convert then 'tag out'. And the mobi would have an even scarier range than before! And goodness knows what the bramble would do Tongue

Not a bad thought process but I think it would encourage turtling 'break' the mechanics of the game and would overcomplicate things.

Hm - I might be misreading the OP's idea -but it sounds like the 'swap' feature would be part of a units movement. Meaning that a unit cannot swap with another unit if it has already moved that turn. So I don't see this being as big an impact to turtling as you say.
I *do* think that this idea would have an impact on what constitutes a 'good' formation for attacking and defending. Your hypothetical with the retreating sniper is a good example of this.

Still - swapping units would be an interesting change that mixes up how people play - but I think it is an unnecessary addition. Especially when considering all the other potential improvements that could still be made. I really enjoy the gameplay mechanics of Outwitters - why fix what isn't broke?

Super-Titan
02-16-2013, 03:14 AM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2013 03:19 AM by PowerCrazy.)
Normally to swap units around it takes 3 wits, not 2 and you have to do it over 2 turns. So why the discount and why the advantage?
02-16-2013, 06:46 AM
(02-16-2013 12:09 AM)aaronINdayton Wrote:  I think the idea is it would count as the movement for both units, so... you're still moving two units, it still costs two wits to move them, you just get to move touching units to each other's hexes. So if either unit has already moved, the option would not be available. So a shelled shell wouldn't be able to swap, nor a rooted bramble, or any other unit that can't normally move at the time.

I'm not sure the game would be better or worse for it, but if the devs put in wits per kill I could see them putting in a swap move command if they think it would improve the game. It could basically be like the medic ability now, except for every unit, except the medic.. and mobi.. unless maybe you've already used their ability but haven't moved the unit yet. The only "difficult" aspect of it I see is explaining to the user that this action takes two wits.

Thank you this is exactly how I would want it to work. Once a unit has moved it would not be able to move again till next turn. Also any big unit like shell or bramble would have to uproot to switch. The idea in my way would not hurt or make the game unfair and would still cost the same wits it would usually cost to move them around anywaySmile

TheeProdigy
#7Master League