Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Thorn Gulley
11-29-2012, 12:21 AM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2012 06:46 PM by DavidL1337.)
Question Thorn Gulley
Hi guys

First of all.. sorry to mention this if someone else already did!
I noticed that on the map Thorn Gulley, the starting player has an advantage. If the starting player moves the Heavy towards the 2nd "extra wit point" in the first round, he is ready to kill the soldier who almost every time is placed there by the other player.
I find this unfair. What do you guys think?

(maybe my screen shots explain it better)

Otherwise I think that the map is one of the best maps so far Smile

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2012, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2012 12:25 AM by TheQwertiest.)
RE: Thorn Culley issue
(11-29-2012 12:21 AM)DavidL1337 Wrote:  Hi guys

I noticed that on the map Thorn Culley, the starting player has an advantage. If the starting player moves the Heavy towards the 2nd "extra wit point" in the first round, he is ready to kill the soldier who almost every time is placed there by the other player.

then send a runner instead of a soldier. boom. mind blown @@
haha. jk. yeah, thats what i usually do to be safe.

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
11-29-2012, 12:38 AM
(11-29-2012 12:25 AM)TheQwertiest Wrote:  

I noticed that on the map Thorn Culley, the starting player has an advantage. If the starting player moves the Heavy towards the 2nd "extra wit point" in the first round, he is ready to kill the soldier who almost every time is placed there by the other player.

Yeah you could send a runner instead and lose that one instead, and then be forced to send even more troops up there to fight for the point. The first player could back that heavy up with a runner or soldier as well. I don't know, I still think that it is unfair. Can't tell you how many soldiers I have already killed on this map so far.
Maybe people just need to get to know the map a little better.
11-29-2012, 01:13 AM
(11-29-2012 12:38 AM)DavidL1337 Wrote:  
(11-29-2012 12:25 AM)TheQwertiest Wrote:  

Yeah you could send a runner instead and lose that one instead, and then be forced to send even more troops up there to fight for the point. The first player could back that heavy up with a runner or soldier as well. I don't know, I still think that it is unfair. Can't tell you how many soldiers I have already killed on this map so far.
Maybe people just need to get to know the map a little better.

its called protecting your wit space. almost all the maps have this. haha

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
11-29-2012, 02:31 AM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2012 02:32 AM by Da Wizerd.)
There is a predeployed medic there for a reason. You can boost your soldier and take the space with him. The wit space is close enough to your spawn that a sniper can cover it quickly as well. That wit space is quite easy to defend.

Da Wizerd - Super-Titan
11-29-2012, 03:54 AM
I don't know if that's really a problem - a heavy alone is not that strong if he is left alone. However I'd like to point out, that on Glitch there is a similar P1 opening where you can position 2 Soldiers in a way that you can take out the enemies heavy if he takes the wit space with it and doesn't boost it on turn 3 - The first weeks the game was out, this worked surprisingly often, but players got used to that very quickly and you see nobody does that anymore.
Maybe it's just studying the different openings for that map and with 8 wits as P2 you should be able to come up with something.

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
11-29-2012, 05:21 AM
To be fair, if your opponent knows that you're going to put a Runner there they can abuse that knowledge.

However, this isn't really useful information and not so much of an advantage hence. Basically the same thing applies for Long Nine. Things have been much worse than they are now - P2 now has three additional starting wits to make up for some kind of positioning disadvantage or to spot these early threats.

The map is great, probably the most balanced one we've got. Please don't claim it has issues because your Soldier got eaten Tongue

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
11-29-2012, 08:33 AM
(11-29-2012 05:21 AM)Harti Wrote:  To be fair, if your opponent knows that you're going to put a Runner there they can abuse that knowledge.

However, this isn't really useful information and not so much of an advantage hence. Basically the same thing applies for Long Nine. Things have been much worse than they are now - P2 now has three additional starting wits to make up for some kind of positioning disadvantage or to spot these early threats.

The map is great, probably the most balanced one we've got. Please don't claim it has issues because your Soldier got eaten Tongue

Don't get me wrong, I love the Map. Just wanted to hear other People's opinion about this. Btw, Nobody ate my Soldier... I ate theirs! :-D
11-29-2012, 09:58 AM
um...The heavy doesn't start their. I started a new game on Thorn Culley to test it out and for me the heavy started right against the base.
11-29-2012, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 11-29-2012 10:36 AM by harvarnold.)
Whenever I see a heavy there, I spawn, boost, and move a sniper, costing exactly 8 wits. If they attack the soldier, they lose their heavy.
(11-29-2012 09:58 AM)game_taker Wrote:  um...The heavy doesn't start their. I started a new game on Thorn Culley to test it out and for me the heavy started right against the base.

(11-29-2012 12:21 AM)DavidL1337 Wrote:  I noticed that on the map Thorn Culley, the starting player has an advantage. If the starting player moves the Heavy towards the 2nd "extra wit point"...