Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
11-26-2012, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2012 03:17 PM by G_Spell.)
Scenarios
Here's an idea I came up with while watching a replay of a game I should have won. I saw a couple of times where the guy I was playing could have beaten way earlier in the game had he moved his units a different way than he did and he could have beaten me.

So this is what I've come up with: how cool would it be if One Man Left added a Scenarios tab where people could play scenarios and figure out how to get better! If you're like me in always trying to discover ways to improve. It would be similar to the "Weekley Newspaper Chess Move." However you could have different difficulties and (I know they haven't made much $$$ from the game unfortunately) they could charge $0.99 or $2.99 for these scenarios. I know I'd buy them!

It would help in:
(A) making money
(B) making better players
© making better players means making better games means making people more addicted to Outwitters (everyone wants to be good right)

I think this would be an awesome idea. I'm sure there a better ideas and ways that could make this awesome.

This could also be community driven. For instance, my opponent could have beaten me in turn 21 instead I beat him in turn 66. So if we can send in replays if these moments, OML wouldn't have to do so much work and they would be real game situations.
Here is the link to the game I reference:

Foundry: outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Ykof5AQw
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-26-2012, 03:24 PM
RE: Scenarios
i think its a great idea but you can also do this in pass and play.

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
11-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Actually, in addition to scenarios, I think making an actuall CPU to play against would be cool!

You think only Adorables use snipers on SFI?
11-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Do you play Hero Academy? They added a puzzle mode that is exactly what you are describing. I love it and would love to see OML do something similar. It's also very helpful in understanding the math involved in the game.
11-26-2012, 03:39 PM
One problem would be the fog of war, how do you deal with that?
11-26-2012, 03:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2012 03:46 PM by TheQwertiest.)
(11-26-2012 03:39 PM)garcia1000 Wrote:  One problem would be the fog of war, how do you deal with that?

true, if you replay a scenario, you will move your units differently and ending up seeing a different part of the fog.

Anonymous Clan
11-26-2012, 05:00 PM
(11-26-2012 03:45 PM)TheQwertiest Wrote:  
(11-26-2012 03:39 PM)garcia1000 Wrote:  One problem would be the fog of war, how do you deal with that?

true, if you replay a scenario, you will move your units differently and ending up seeing a different part of the fog.

That didn't stop Advance Wars from including fog of war in the single-player mode. As with any puzzle mode in any game, we'd have to accept that some players would work through trial and error.

The real problem is that we would need an AI opponent, which doesn't exist at all right now and seems like it would be a huge undertaking. The alternative is single-turn puzzles, which would work as a tutorial, but wouldn't be interesting for an experienced player.

The reason it works in Hero Academy is that the numbers are so complex. When you have a base kill in Outwitters, it's usually pretty obvious. You can force a win over the course of a few turns, but there still needs to be an AI to make that work as a game mode.
11-26-2012, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-26-2012 05:05 PM by TheQwertiest.)
(11-26-2012 05:00 PM)DoubtingTobin Wrote:  
(11-26-2012 03:45 PM)TheQwertiest Wrote:  

That didn't stop Advance Wars from including fog of war in the single-player mode. As with any puzzle mode in any game, we'd have to accept that some players would work through trial and error.

The real problem is that we would need an AI opponent, which doesn't exist at all right now and seems like it would be a huge undertaking. The alternative is single-turn puzzles, which would work as a tutorial, but wouldn't be interesting for an experienced player.

The reason it works in Hero Academy is that the numbers are so complex. When you have a base kill in Outwitters, it's usually pretty obvious. You can force a win over the course of a few turns, but there still needs to be an AI to make that work as a game mode.

there is a reason why there isnt an undo button in outwitters.
and outwitters is not advance wars. just because advance wars did it doesnt mean outwitters needs to. it just destroys the purpose of the fog. :/

Anonymous Clan
11-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Yeah I knew the fog of war would be a problem but I think it could work! For example what of you we're able to see the last 3 moves?
11-27-2012, 07:38 AM
(11-27-2012 07:32 AM)G_Spell Wrote:  Yeah I knew the fog of war would be a problem but I think it could work! For example what of you we're able to see the last 3 moves?

hmm. then replaying the scenario would be inaccurate. as your opponents units may have moved

Anonymous Clan