Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
+1 Wits: Why is it a mistake?
11-24-2012, 05:09 AM
RE: +1 Wits: Why is it a mistake?
I agree with random task on this. Basically, this new mechanic encourages unit diversity, as heavies play a better role and specials are more encouraged and snipers are a detonate must, and diverse strategies. Briefly, I've seen more diverse play in game replays instead of the repetitive BS
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2012, 08:50 AM
(11-23-2012 10:27 PM)Necrocat219 Wrote:  Spawning early specials is a completely viable tactic. Bombshell and especially scrambler rushes were and are still very deadly.

Well, yeah, but you can say the same about any tactic. From time to time, anything works. I think it all depends on your opponent's playstyle. But the question to determine if it is a real, viable long term strategy is 'if your opponent knew you were going to do this, do you still have a fair chance of winning?'

With standard tactics, e.g boosted soldier push, the answer is yes. With early game specials, it's probably not effective if your opponent can guess your motives. It's, as you said, mainly the surprise factor.

Much better to have it safely tucked away, waiting for the best opportunity to use it, yeah? ^^

P.S. love that collectible wit globe idea. The devs probably won't include it tho... Sad
Come at me, Alex, prove me wrong...
11-24-2012, 09:27 AM
(11-24-2012 08:50 AM)CommandConquerer Wrote:  Much better to have it safely tucked away, waiting for the best opportunity to use it, yeah? ^^

No. Common low level assumption. You building forces that you can be guaranteed to withhold your scrambler will let your opponent do exactly the same thing, I often launch attrition attacks when to time to strike is right, and even them the scrambler is more of a zoning tool with an advantage, although in the times you can defend your scrambler after the attack you are almost guaranteed to win.

What you're saying is the equivalent of comparing a typical white chess opening to the English attack opening; the latter sees slightly less play but is still a major competitive opening to be reckoned with at grandmaster level

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
11-24-2012, 01:05 PM
I love the new rule.

Actually it in the new team got me back again.

I find I'm not really a big fan of the new team but the changes and gameplay mechanics is actually getting me really excited about the game again.

I think oh and L is definitely on the right track here they need to get a much bigger basil players of this game is going to make money and stay around not just keep the small base happy.
11-24-2012, 04:13 PM
(11-24-2012 01:05 PM)BigTroy68 Wrote:  I love the new rule.

I find I'm not really a big fan of the new team but the changes and gameplay mechanics is actually getting me really excited about the game again.

I think oh and L is definitely on the right track here they need to get a much bigger basil players of this game is going to make money and stay around not just keep the small base happy.
I completely agree.
11-24-2012, 04:15 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2012 04:18 PM by TheQwertiest.)
(11-24-2012 04:13 PM)worldfamous Wrote:  
(11-24-2012 01:05 PM)BigTroy68 Wrote:  I love the new rule.

I completely agree.

i knew some people would soften up and eventually like the change if they gave it a chance Smile

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
11-25-2012, 02:04 PM
(11-24-2012 09:27 AM)Necrocat219 Wrote:  I often launch attrition attacks when to time to strike is right.

What I meant was 'randomly rushing specials doesn't usually work'. I didn't mean it as in turtle up and wait for opponent to come. Of course if you see an exposed unit you take it out Tongue. What I was arguing for in my original post was that you can now get enough wits for a special, plus keep a reasonable defense/sight line, much easier than before.
11-25-2012, 02:28 PM
I am honestly not a fan of the changes. I initially started playing the game because i am a chess player. Thd game fundamentally has same mechanics. Counting wits was / is very important. Now it is nearly impossible to calculate.

The feeling is totally different now and essentially the fundamentals of the game were changed. I don't like the change at all, my two cents.
11-25-2012, 02:30 PM
You can count wits like before. All you need to do is whenever one of your units is killed, do "+1" to your opponent's wit total. Another adjustment is that if you are 1P, do a one time "+3" to your opponent's wit total.

Those are literally the only two adjustments you need to make to count wits. I still count wits
11-25-2012, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2012 03:04 PM by Razcrux.)
I really like the change. First it promotes higher health units, which is good because runner-spamming was too pivotal before. Secondly it allows for more wits to be generated/saved, which means more special units, more often, and this will help to allow the teams to really show their differences more often. Before it was tough to get to 7 wits if the pressure was continuous, now even with pressure you can get a special unit, if you think it's worth it.

Next point id like to make is that it isn't going to destabilize the game, very low risk, because its the same for both players. All the teams are the same, minus the specials. Only the utility worth of the specials will be impacted. It could be that because the scally cannon can hit an area, that it could now be stronger since it can generate multiple wits. But on the other hand, more wits also means easier to circumvent/break into on counters.

More wits would make player 1 stronger, but the additional 3 wits player two gets are substantial; and should more than offset this. If there is a tweak to do, it would be in the number of wits player 2 gets.

I agree that map balance is required, but map balance is an extension of game balance. If wits are earned for kills, you want to establish that rule change first, then balance maps. No point balancing maps and then changing the wits for kills as then you have to rebalance maps.

I still think that each team should have more than one special unit, and that additional special unit should be cheap (between 3 and 5 wits) to make. It would really help to increase the depth of the game even further.

Oh and lastly, more wits means more options. And that is an excellent thing. More options equals more ways to outwit your opponent. It isn't more complex, unless you make it to be complex by trying to guess more possible plays. But like before scouting the fog is the key to winning; and when that fails, using your intuition.

So long story short, I don't see how this change could be anything but Good. If it does turn out that one team is a bit better now, a very small tweak would fix that. If player 1 or 2 is doing too well, again a small tweak. If a map is not even, again a small surgical change. I can't see how any potential problems can't be resolved by small tweaks. You just review the stats, formulate the smallest change you can make that will target the problem as specifically as possible, implement them in small iterations, and remeasure. Perfection is just a question of patience. It's far from broken!

More options = goodness!