Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
8 is too much!!!
11-25-2012, 09:02 PM
RE: 8 is too much!!!
Haha, sorry Command - I realise I probably missed the tone of irony in your post Smile

Nonetheless, it seems the point unfortunately needs restating too often...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-25-2012, 11:22 PM
After playing some games with the mechanic, 8 seems about right. Be able to spawn stuff and take wit spaces seems to balance out going second.
11-26-2012, 03:51 AM
(11-25-2012 07:36 PM)Joggies Wrote:  8 is actually 'almost enough'. It nearly fixes the wit imbalance issue, but still leaves p1 ahead on unit count and initiative. In due course, I can envisage P1 being further restricted by not being able to spawn on the first turn (or a similar solution to fix the non-witcount imbalances).

I agree that p1 still contains an advantage for being to spawn on his turn, however I will have to disagree on your solution, as I feel this will give p2 a distinctive advantage. In addition you should also consider the audience is not all ST players. I am in masters and I was able to see an advantage for p1 before the update, however when I started playing I was blind to this advantage as, I am sure, many in clever and gifted are. That being said I feel p2 will have a majority of wins for their leagues and this added "balance" would just make things worse for those leagues.
11-26-2012, 10:10 AM
(11-26-2012 03:51 AM)game_taker Wrote:  
(11-25-2012 07:36 PM)Joggies Wrote:  8 is actually 'almost enough'. It nearly fixes the wit imbalance issue, but still leaves p1 ahead on unit count and initiative. In due course, I can envisage P1 being further restricted by not being able to spawn on the first turn (or a similar solution to fix the non-witcount imbalances).

I agree that p1 still contains an advantage for being to spawn on his turn, however I will have to disagree on your solution, as I feel this will give p2 a distinctive advantage. In addition you should also consider the audience is not all ST players. I am in masters and I was able to see an advantage for p1 before the update, however when I started playing I was blind to this advantage as, I am sure, many in clever and gifted are. That being said I feel p2 will have a majority of wins for their leagues and this added "balance" would just make things worse for those leagues.

That's what I think my problem is, being in clever, I don't see FTA, I feel like this is going to hinder me from ever making it to a league where I'll be able to actually realize that these 8 witts actually help me
It also doesn't help that, since the update, i never get to go second, I *always* start first, no one ever has a league game going that I get joined into
Maybe if I actually got to go second then I'd appreciate 8 whopping wits
11-26-2012, 03:02 PM
There is a simple solution to silence the "8 is too many" crowd. Simply give P1 the option of going first and giving P2 8 wits or going second and taking a 7 wit advantage.
11-27-2012, 01:20 AM
Lol-lookit-all-these-wits-TURN2SPECIAL-tosis

GC: Great Wolf Sif
11-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Making a special on turn 2 doesn't seem to be the way to go
11-27-2012, 01:26 AM
(11-27-2012 01:20 AM)SerPurpleWolf Wrote:  Lol-lookit-all-these-wits-TURN2SPECIAL-tosis
Lol that was an awesome game!

GC: GoHeat3
Super-Titan

[Image: sig.png]
11-30-2012, 01:11 AM
OK, I am not an expert at playing (and may never become one), so perhaps if someone is willing to drop a strategy hint here so I can improve my game it would be appreciated.

When I am first player, I now play less aggressive as the first player as a result of the 8.

I'm noticing on small "boards" that even when I move to defensive positions as first player, I often get overwhelmed. So perhaps the # of starting wits should vary a little by board? If the board is small or you can either get across the board rapidly (I think it is Thorn Gully that is crossed with a wit space directly in front of the base), then perhaps one should only start with 7. Otherwise, 8 seems fine to me for starting and doesn't really change.

As far as the +1 Wit for idling an opponent, I see that neither good nor bad, just different.

Cheers,
Paul
11-30-2012, 11:29 AM
You should be very slightly more aggressive as player 1 on all maps. Probably you are being "way more aggressive" instead of slightly more aggressive.