Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100-turn adorable match
11-20-2012, 01:24 AM (This post was last modified: 11-20-2012 01:35 AM by Thrutchy.)
100-turn adorable match
Here is the most interesting game I've played so far. It is my final game in the world-cup tournament (with super-titan blueswimmer95). Sorry about the repost from that thread. If nothing else, take a look at the very close ending (turns 87-100). I'd appreciate any comment on my play.

Replay

Here is a bit of my commentary:

turn 16-18: I attack. I probably shouldn't have wasted wits on a mobi since it didn't provide much value at this point. My attack force is beaten pretty badly and I retreat (but the mobi helps with that). Now, I've lost my FTA.

turn 26-27: He attacks. Fortunately I prepared a defense using my mobi as a spawn point. I was able to kill most of the attacking force.

turn 33-36: I put my force a little too far out from my spawn point ready to attack, and he attacks. He retreats after I respond.

turn 40-41: He attacks with a sniper and I find unbuffed soldiers aren't cutting it. I need a medic.

turn 44-47: He attacks my runner with a sniper and I respond killing the soldiers in front of the sniper (using my sniper near the bonus wit to help) along with the sniper. He attacks back with a new sniper and some soldiers to kill a couple my soldiers. I retreat.

turn 54-56: He attacks. Fortunately, I used my mobi again as a spawn point to fend off the attack. It took me a while to figure out that perfect response (with a new sniper) to the attack. So, another retreat.

turn 60-61: He attacks toward my spawn point taking out a new sniper. I screwed up in letting him kill my sniper with a runner. I let him see my unbuffed sniper and I assume that's why he attacked.

turn 66-73: I'm too far out again and he attacks taking out 3 soldiers. My response takes out 2 soldiers, but doesn't look too wit efficient. I moved my unbuffed soldier (via mobi) to my bonus wit space for protection from his heavy. The result of that is that he attacked toward my spawn side. I sacrificed my medic and allowed him to occupy my spawn to prevent more base damage. He took 2 off of my base, but it cost him 2 soldiers. Now, it is my turn to start attacking.

turn 77-81: I attack his bonus wit directly and ready my mobi. He kills one of my soldiers in response. I screwed up turn 79. I miscounted wits, but fortunately I realized after spending a couple wits. I should have killed a soldier and his runner by using mobi to bring the sniper over. I would have been close to a win had I done that. Instead I retreated.

turn 87-91: I decided to attack toward the spawn because I could kill 2 of his soldiers over there and he had a good defense on the bonus wit side. On turn 88, I cover his spawn point with a soldier and I put a runner in front in hopes that I could hold the spawn point. His medic was helpful to me to cause him to waste a wit moving her. The mobi would allow me to easily bring reinforcements. Unfortunately he had enough wits. On turn 90, the "sneaking" icon was screwed up. After all of his moves, I clearly remember the sneaking icon spinning for a couple seconds, so I thought he had something hidden in a far corner. On turn 91, I wish I had enough wits to spawn a buffed heavy (or had one around) and plug the spawn point. Instead, I started readying an attack on the other side.

turn 93-94: Jumped a runner on his wit space and killed a runner, but teleported the runner away since he could be easily killed. A big mistake I made here was spawning a soldier instead of saving wits. The also soldier ended up being in the way for a sniper that I later wanted.

turn 95-100: I attacked his soldier on his bonus wit using my mobi-sniper and a soldier over there. Moving my soldier out was probably a mistake since it revealed to him where my wits were. His response was to of course kill my sniper, but he started marching to my base instead of responding to my threat. On turn 97, I needed 2 more wits to win. Instead I was able to stall his win by a turn. On turn 99, I needed 1 more wit to win. He got me on turn 100.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2012, 03:55 AM
RE: 100-turn adorable match
Turn 93 if you left your runner on their wit space instead of mobying it back it would have taken them 4 wits and a forced runner spawn to get it back. Instead it took them 1 wit and they got to spawn whatever they wanted.

Turn 95 you gave away a booster sniper to help kill a solider, bad trade. This also left your fragile base wide open, double bad.

Very cool game, lots of back and forth. It seems that your moby tactics ended up costing you more than benefiting you in the end, while blue was able to play conservatively and gain advantage.
11-20-2012, 06:22 AM
RE: 100-turn adorable match
(11-20-2012 03:55 AM)aaronINdayton Wrote:  Turn 93 if you left your runner on their wit space instead of mobying it back it would have taken them 4 wits and a forced runner spawn to get it back. Instead it took them 1 wit and they got to spawn whatever they wanted.

Here's why I pulled the runner back: a) I was low on units, b) only 1 spawn per turn, c) I wanted some visibility on my wit side, d) a runner next to the bonus wit (killing mine) would have been useful for his visibility anyway.

Maybe I should have used my soldier instead to grab the spawn. I don't have the game in front of me, but I may have been able to hold the wit a turn and even attack his base.

(11-20-2012 03:55 AM)aaronINdayton Wrote:  Turn 95 you gave away a booster sniper to help kill a solider, bad trade. This also left your fragile base wide open, double bad.

If I had another wit this wouldn't have been a problem because it would have led to a win (look at turn 99). I wouldn't have made that trade in the middle of a game. I knew that if he attacked my sniper he would be leaving his base wide open (which he did). I think my main mistake near the end was spawning the soldier (I think turn 93) instead of banking the wits. And then I later even exposed that soldier to my opponent exposing where I spent my wits. I should have realized that a mobi-sniper attack with my soldier at the bonus wit was a good possibility. In that case I could have first sacraficed an unboosted sniper and followed up with the boosted one at his base.

(11-20-2012 03:55 AM)aaronINdayton Wrote:  Very cool game, lots of back and forth. It seems that your moby tactics ended up costing you more than benefiting you in the end, while blue was able to play conservatively and gain advantage.

I defintely felt clumsy with the moby. But, this was only my 2nd game with adorables (my first was with blueswimmer also where I didn't do as well). If you have any other specifics though, I'd love to hear what I could do better.