Poll: What enemy special do you hate or have a hard time playing against?
Bombshell (Scallywags)
Mobi (Adorables)
Feedback (Scrambler)
Bramble (Veggienauts)
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Specials and Zones of Control
11-14-2012, 12:34 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2012 01:08 PM by joelduque.)
Specials and Zones of Control
Searched the forums and a related result appeared, but I believe this could benefit further discussion. So here it goes:

Some notes on specials and zones of control:

Turtling with BSs is extremely unpopular and I like to point something related to this. Once a BS is shelled and gets into position, it locks up a significant portion of the map especially in small ones. Positioning is extremely important for the BS. Mobis potentially cover a greater area, being mobile plus the attack range of the unit it teleports. Very useful with larger maps. But the special currently with the largest area of control is the scrambler. Before being used or revealed, it could be anywhere in the fog of war. Among the 3 specials, the one with the highest potential of turning a game around is the scrambler. A single scrambler in any map has done it multiple if not countless times. Don't know about bramble as I am not one of the privileged beta testers.

So rather than just whining about turtling, I believe it also the player's responsibility of optimizing his chosen team and exploit the weaknesses of the enemy special like the BS with very poor mobility and huge initial wit investment. Smile

Feel free to share your thoughts!

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-14-2012, 12:42 PM
RE: Specials and Zones of Control
I pretty much agree with everything you said. I think they did an amazing job balancing the supers. Now give me a mega team where I can spawn the super of my choice. Yum!
11-14-2012, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-14-2012 01:12 PM by joelduque.)
I cannot interchange Feedback and Scrambler in the poll. My bad. I am an OC. Hahaha

To the devs or forum masters: Maybe you can do it for me without invalidating the poll. Please! Thank you! Smile

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
11-14-2012, 12:58 PM
I don't hate the scrambler, but if the enemy usually has one, I tend to lose.

GC: Great Wolf Sif
11-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Scrambler also has its weak point. It has low life and requires many wits to defend it from attack. Maybe I have not yet master the scrambler but I often lost it after using in to convert enemy units. It's shelf life in the game is very short.
11-14-2012, 03:07 PM
(11-14-2012 02:37 PM)Jacs9 Wrote:  Scrambler also has its weak point. It has low life and requires many wits to defend it from attack. Maybe I have not yet master the scrambler but I often lost it after using in to convert enemy units. It's shelf life in the game is very short.

Yeah even the most skilled scrambler players (p1noyboy, Blckface)don't keep their scramblers for many turns usually.
I play feedback most the time and I use scramblers quickly take down key units becuase I know it will die in x amount of turns. One tactic ive lately been using for keeping the scrambler alive is to go offensive with your medic so you can heal a brainwashed unit.

I still struggle with bombshells so I find them most annoying. I can usually predict a scramblers position since I'm a feedback player and most gifted league players are shit with the Mobi (including me)
11-14-2012, 03:14 PM
I think another important thing about specials is how well they work in a group. 2 bombshells is a completely different story from 1. And 3 is even worse. I've seen some amazing things pulled off by multiple scramblers, too. But I've never seen anything impressive with multiple mobis... aside from them saving each other.

You think only Adorables use snipers on SFI?
11-15-2012, 12:19 PM
I had a small period where 17/26 games were on peekaboo. Most all were vs scallywags. And of those I ended up with approx 4-5 all player 2 were my opponent just massed bombshells. In peekaboo a well placed bombshell is capable of covering a lot of ground making any attack very difficult. Games like these annoy me a lot. I will agree with you that bombshell is not overpowered he just gets extremely frustrating in times like these.

I'd also point out that these games were partially my fault, even as player 2 you can attack. After these games I learned my lesson and now take the offence, even as p2, against scallywags to avoid situations like this.

Just one more note. I've noticed not many people play feedback as much as adorables or scallywags, this results in many people not knowing how to respond to spotting a scrambler, and allowing for easy wins.

The only I disagree with what joelduque said is that scrambler has the most potential to change the game. I think mobi's potential is just as high as the scrambler mainly because of the sniper + mobi combo.
11-15-2012, 02:48 PM
When I'm Scallywags I find Scramblers the most annoying.
When I'm Feedback I find Bombshells the most annoying.

I don't play Adorables often, but both Scramblers and Bombshells are a nuisance. The only special I don't really find annoying is the Mobi. That's not because I think it's bad, quite the contrary, it's a powerful unit, but it never seems 'annoying'. Maybe that's because it doesn't actually do any damage directly unlike the Scrambler and Bombshell. Scramblers are a pain in any match-up because they force me to position my units sub-optimally to avoid losing snipers or specials to one of my own units that gets converted by a hidden scrambler. Also to avoid one of my own Heavies (or perhaps I should say 'Heavy' singular =P) or Soldiers attacking my base after being scrambled. Bombshells are also annoying when I'm not Scallywags because they're often difficult to attack into cost efficiently. Mobis on the other hand don't really do annoying actions outright, rather, they gradually save wits for your opponent and can be used for sniper maneuvers. That's why, though certainly a powerful special, it generally doesn't give me that annoyed feeling when it is used against me.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]