Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is this normal?
11-15-2012, 04:50 AM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2012 05:08 AM by NDRDOG.)
RE: Is this normal?
(11-14-2012 02:55 PM)Jacs9 Wrote:  It's a good value to play fair even when others are not. In my school, we advocate Play Safe, Play Hard, Play Fair. We call it the P cube. We teach our students to play fair. Even if they lose because others didnt play fair, they are not to get sour about it.

I coach middle school American football and I've seen some pretty awful things that were done, and condoned, on the field just to win a game. I have always tried to teach my players to stay clean and play hard and eventually they will prevail. Last season we won the championship and we played several games with 1 or 2 players less than the other team because of injuries. By the end of our last game, we were playing 8v11 and we were rolling. The thing that made me the proudest was that we stayed clean and never quit.

(11-14-2012 11:24 AM)worldfamous Wrote:  Well, I guess I didn't do a very good job of expressing myself. My statement was mostly tongue in cheek. However, I do believe in this particular case, "gaming the system" is the appropriate thing to do. With such a huge FTA and no random FT, you have to stack the cue just to level the playing field. I don't endorse stacking the cue to the point where you're 30 P1 and 5 P2. Just do it enough to get even. I love this game and the effort that OML puts into it, but FT is broken and you can't blame people for stacking. I'll leave it at that.

stacking beyond a break even number.

Stacking beyond break even or just to level the field, what does that even mean? Did you somehow start the game way behind everyone else? If your only exploiting the flawed system than by not stacking to 35 P1 isn't that wrong? When does it end?

I'm not saying, I'm just sayin'.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-2012, 10:27 AM
The only thing I frown upon is stacking the same map. I've only come across one player I believe to be stacking the maps who's also fairly high up in the top 200. Whilst stacking to counteract it is fine, I do it too, I think choosing the map you're best at every time is the only thing I condone.

@NDRDOG If we didn't stack then other players would take advantage of it and we would have a very disproportionate amount of P2 games. We only do it so that the amount of P1/P2 matches is about right.

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
11-15-2012, 05:45 PM
(11-15-2012 10:27 AM)Necrocat219 Wrote:  The only thing I frown upon is stacking the same map. I've only come across one player I believe to be stacking the maps who's also fairly high up in the top 200. Whilst stacking to counteract it is fine, I do it too, I think choosing the map you're best at every time is the only thing I condone.

@NDRDOG If we didn't stack then other players would take advantage of it and we would have a very disproportionate amount of P2 games. We only do it so that the amount of P1/P2 matches is about right.

That's what I was saying but apparently I was too aggressive with my verbiage, and now I'm a bad parent and unworthy of teaching children. Tongue
11-15-2012, 06:47 PM
(11-15-2012 05:45 PM)worldfamous Wrote:  
(11-15-2012 10:27 AM)Necrocat219 Wrote:  The only thing I frown upon is stacking the same map. I've only come across one player I believe to be stacking the maps who's also fairly high up in the top 200. Whilst stacking to counteract it is fine, I do it too, I think choosing the map you're best at every time is the only thing I condone.

That's what I was saying but apparently I was too aggressive with my verbiage, and now I'm a bad parent and unworthy of teaching children. Tongue

I guess we have a slight divergence of standards of good conduct here but your conclusion is overshooting. I am more in line with NDRDOG in a sense that i want to play by a zero loophole exploitation rule myself and am happy to see others realising the value in such attitude. I however accept that your aim is just to level out the playing field and this certainly does not make you a bad parent!

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.
11-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Outwitters is an IOS game but yet from this game alone I see many positive traits in the gamers. NDRDOG thank you for posting this thread. I hope the replies from various individuals can comfort you. We really do have people who wants to play fair.
11-15-2012, 09:03 PM
By the way I'm happy with the updates fix for FTA, even if it doesn't fix the queueing problem I'm not going to be doing any sort of stacking with it and can hopefully get games up and running fast Smile once I got a whole bunch of games ready. all my P2 games against the very best and more likely loss games, and they all filled up with the same player. very frustrating Confused

But yeah that was a one off, I'm happy now

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
11-16-2012, 12:23 AM
(11-15-2012 09:03 PM)Necrocat219 Wrote:  By the way I'm happy with the updates fix for FTA, even if it doesn't fix the queueing problem I'm not going to be doing any sort of stacking with it and can hopefully get games up and running fast Smile once I got a whole bunch of games ready. all my P2 games against the very best and more likely loss games, and they all filled up with the same player. very frustrating Confused

But yeah that was a one off, I'm happy now

thats cool! I had a moment of frustration as well but actually I do get some P1 games without stacking ... maybe not the same amount but still... and we all know the fix is already in the hands of Apple Smile

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.
11-16-2012, 01:50 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2012 01:57 AM by NDRDOG.)
I just did some counting (and I got a sticker because I'm married to a teacher) and of the 20 games I'm currently running.......
1 is a 2v2 so it doesn't count in these #'s
9 of my games are currently stalled
6 of these are unranked players so I'm assuming they've quit
2 are games I'm on the verge of victory and,I guess, the other player is hoping I quit?
1 game I'm guessing the opponent is otherwise occupied

Of my total 19 games (I'm playing 1 2v2) I started 1st in 9 and 2nd in 10. Of the stalled games, I started 1st in 5 and 2nd in 4.

Honestly I didn't know what queue stacking was until a few days ago and I do not do it. I was surprised the #'s were that even because it sure feels like I got a lot more games where I'm P2. Maybe I should look at the games I've won and lost as well. I'm just throwing this up for informational purposes. Make whatever you want of it.

You mentioned earlier that some of what you said was tongue in cheek. You claim that of yourself yet you cannot see it in others. I think it best that I say nothing else in the subject.

I'm not saying, I'm just sayin'.
11-16-2012, 05:11 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2012 05:24 AM by worldfamous.)
(11-16-2012 01:50 AM)NDRDOG Wrote:  I just did some counting (and I got a sticker because I'm married to a teacher) and of the 20 games I'm currently running.......
1 is a 2v2 so it doesn't count in these #'s
9 of my games are currently stalled
6 of these are unranked players so I'm assuming they've quit
2 are games I'm on the verge of victory and,I guess, the other player is hoping I quit?
1 game I'm guessing the opponent is otherwise occupied

Of my total 19 games (I'm playing 1 2v2) I started 1st in 9 and 2nd in 10. Of the stalled games, I started 1st in 5 and 2nd in 4.

Honestly I didn't know what queue stacking was until a few days ago and I do not do it. I was surprised the #'s were that even because it sure feels like I got a lot more games where I'm P2. Maybe I should look at the games I've won and lost as well. I'm just throwing this up for informational purposes. Make whatever you want of it.

You mentioned earlier that some of what you said was tongue in cheek. You claim that of yourself yet you cannot see it in others. I think it best that I say nothing else in the subject.
I even added the stick your tongue out face make sure people understood I was kidding. Guess I should cancel my appearance at open mic night. (That was a joke. I wasn't really planning on attending an open mic event). That's the trouble with written word. It's all up for interpretation. Tough to capture tone.
In all seriousness, I would like to explain what I mean by stacking to break even. If you start games one at a time (meaning 1 a day or one ever few hours) you will be P2 99% of the time. That is why I wait until I have 5 or 6 slots open. I then start games one after the other. Usually the first 2 or 3 will be as P2. By the 3rd or 4th game, the cue is clear and I start getting games as P1. Once I've started 2, 3, maybe 4 games as P1, I stop. This leaves me at 2-4 P1 games and 2-4 P2 games, thus "breaking even". There are those that finish all of their games and then fire up all 35 consecutively, leading to a ratio between 6-1 and 10-1. In my opinion, that is gaming the system in an unfair manner. What I do, is basically a necessity to keep the playing field even. I hope that's clear.
11-16-2012, 09:14 AM
I personally find I have about a 66% of already being matched up against a P1 when I start 1 by 1