Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Global Outwitters League (GOL)
11-13-2012, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 07:15 AM by CombatEX.)
RE: Outwitters Season 1 - Most Consistent Top Players
Hm. If you could send me the spreadsheet that would be great. Actually, the main problem I had with this idea was rearranging rows retroactively based on points (or in your case, rank). How do you do this? Until yesterday I hadn't really used excel in 7 years so needless to say I'm a bit rusty.

Clarification:
For example, after I had tallied up all the points for season 1, the rows were not in order of highest to lowest Season 1 point totals (they were instead still in the order of the original top 16 from the beginning of August). I had to manually rearrange the rows to get them to go from highest to lowest season 1 points from top to bottom. In making your spreadsheet GreatGonzales, won't you likewise have to rearrange all the rows every week (well, except for those ones that haven't changed rank)? That's the primary reason I refrained from doing a comprehensive top 100 or 200 list with rank changes.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Couldn't you just sort the column for total season 1 points highest to lowest? As long as you have the right columns in your spreadsheet, you should not have the problem you are describing. In my case, each week I plan to import the new ranking data, over-write the "current standings" tab with the new rankings, and then recalculate the ranking shifts. Not too difficult, but then I work with excel all the time. Smile If you would like me to send you what I have in excel, just shoot me a PM.
11-13-2012, 08:00 AM
There's a function for it, even google docs has it. Just select all the rows you want to sort and there's something like Data -> Sort area... or so, where you can choose the column used to sort the rows.

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
11-13-2012, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 04:32 PM by CombatEX.)
Thanks, I did find the sort function, and it kind of works. I just need to figure out how to get it to work properly now. I think I might have set up my file in an unideal manner because whenever I sort it changes the values of some of the numbers. It does sort correctly based on the new values, but needless to say I want it to sort the original ones, not these incorrect ones. I believe the issue is that I didn't enter numerical values for the points, but instead designated point values in different cells and then used = to extract that value from the other cell. As a result, when it sorts it doesn't just move the numbers like it should, but instead decides to extract numbers from incorrect cells. For example, before sorting I'll have a cell that says =B14, but after sorting it says =B13 so the points awarded have been changed from those designated by B14 to those by B13.

Well anyway, doesn't matter at this point. I'll just keep it in mind for Season 2 and input my numbers in a more boring way =) Actually, the reason I initially took values from other cells instead of just plain numbers was so that I could easily change the points awarded for different ranks (just change the value of that one cell to update the entire spreadsheet), but now that I'm pretty certain a linear 16-1 point range is the way to go I don't need to use this method in future seasons.

EDIT:

I just made the file for Season 2 with what data we have so far (just 2 weeks) and the swap works fine on the new file. It won't work on the old one for the reason I speculated, but now that I'm just putting in numbers for the point values instead of calling from a different cell, sort works as intended. Thanks for the help!

We have a newcomer to Season play ranks, welcome to ren8585 who makes his/her debut in the top 16 of the November 9th rankings!

11-27-2012, 07:40 AM (This post was last modified: 11-27-2012 08:24 AM by CombatEX.)
RE: Outwitters Seasons - Most Consistent Top Players
Update
- Basic formatting
- Season 2 updated to current week
- Season 1 spreadsheet converted to googledocs
- Improved stat tracking inspired by GreatGonzales' Outwitters Top 200 Trends
- Champions section

12-12-2012, 12:10 AM
RE: Global Outwitters League (GOL)
I think letting at least 1 person into the tourney from another "open" tourney would be a good idea Smile. Perhaps the open tournament would only to be available to those not in the top 10 already, or something similar, and if the winner happens to be in the top 15 in the end, you move down the list until you hit a player that isn't.

The world cup would be perfect, I think, as mentioned before.
12-12-2012, 02:52 AM
Hm, that is a cool idea. It's kind of like what GSL does with MLG. It's too bad the World Cup takes forever, but we could just take a player who has won the most recent high level tournament within the previous season. For the next tournament the World Cup will probably be that tournament, but I don't know for the season after that.

12-12-2012, 07:48 AM
If possible, it'd be neat to start each season with a tournament, with the winner invited to the end of season GOL, such a tournament would require time restrains of course.
12-24-2012, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-28-2012 07:14 AM by Gf!sh.)
Guys, i've made a graph of Season 1 tracking the Top 10:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=156]

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-28-2012, 05:02 AM
Hm I can't see the image for some reason Gfich.

Also aaron, we're taking your suggestion. In the Season 2 tournament we'll have the winner of the World Cup seeded in the tournament along with the top 15 in Season 2 league standings.