Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Global Outwitters League (GOL)
11-13-2012, 04:02 AM
RE: Outwitters Season 1 - Most Consistent Top Players
CombatEX, did you crunch these numbers in google docs? If so it would be nice to see the spreadsheet with all the data, not just the top 32!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-13-2012, 04:05 AM
He did, however the list ended up being exactly 32 names long.

11-13-2012, 04:13 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 04:14 AM by GreatGonzales.)
Oh I see what he did, he only awarded points to the top 16 each week. This exercise has given me an idea...that it would be cool to track peoples' progress over time. To do that we would need this sort of system of awarding points according to true rank placement - over a greater number, perhaps 100 or all top 200. CombatEX, I am guessing you just manually took the top 16 players and entered them into a spreadsheet, right? I am thinking of taking the time to enter all 200 names in each week and track progress from week to week, historically and going forward. Perhaps too big of a job...but we will see. Smile
Perhaps just going forward is the thing to do... I'll see what makes the most sense. But this will be nice because it will allow us to see who is rising and who is falling each week, without having to manually compare the current and previous rankings.
11-13-2012, 04:21 AM
It would probably be very easy to program something that automatically does all the calculations if you just copy paste the top 200 list every week. I'm afraid my current schedule doesn't have room for that though Undecided.

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
11-13-2012, 04:44 AM
It's very simple to do in excel, the only tricky part is delineating by period since some people have periods in their username. Also formatting names beginning with a "=". Methinks I'll share what I've done later today.
11-13-2012, 05:01 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 05:03 AM by Gf!sh.)
Personnaly, i would start with Top 50's, because it feels a bit awkward to pump it to the max straight away. But yes, it would be feasible in a spreadsheet.

@greatgonzales I'm sure you can use if-clauses and quote marks to refer to names with periods.

11-13-2012, 06:18 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2012 06:19 AM by CombatEX.)
Yea, I just used Excel actually. And I only did the top 16 out of practicality. I figured taking the entire top 200 or even 100 would take too long and I would be less likely to continue this project. If it's just the top 16 it's manageable though so I'll be sure to continue this for Season 2 =)

It probably wouldn't be too hard to program something like this, but I'm probably not the best one to do it because I haven't done any programming the past couple years ever since I dropped the idea of a CS double major.

Anyway, thanks GreatGonzales! What you've done so far looks great (and is actually something I wanted to do but ended up spending too much time on the Season 1 stats already and was too lazy to continue =P).

I can upload the Excel file if anyone wants it, but you can already basically see it in its entirety in the screenshots I posted.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
11-13-2012, 06:32 AM
I now have all ranking data since 10.4.12 which was when they started doing top 200 rather than top 100. So, I'll work with that and provide some larger trends for people. Also, if anyone wants this data to play with, I am happy to send them the spreadsheet.
11-13-2012, 06:54 AM
(11-13-2012 06:32 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  I now have all ranking data since 10.4.12 which was when they started doing top 200 rather than top 100. So, I'll work with that and provide some larger trends for people. Also, if anyone wants this data to play with, I am happy to send them the spreadsheet.

Mmmmmmmmm data! I'd love to see, I can throw together a spreadsheet/db and pull more reporting than anyone would ever want to see!

Proud member of Anonymous clan
Master League 1x1, occasionally top 200
Master League 2x2 w Ryzuma
11-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Randy, everything I have is in this google doc, so you should be able to extract what you need from this. You might need editing privileges, if so shoot me a message with your gmail account. Otherwise I have this in excel, too, but it's not as cleaned up.