Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comprehensive Game Guide
07-03-2012, 05:06 PM
RE: Comprehensive Game Guide
(07-03-2012 08:33 AM)knighthalo123 Wrote:  YAY help section is like a guide im guessing? U gonna put any challeneges like hero academy?

I fail to see the connection between help section and challenges. I played Hero Academy for a short time but still don't know what you mean by 'challenges'. Please enlighten me.

<sarcasm>I hope understanding the help section is no challenge.</sarcasm>

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2012, 11:06 PM
(07-03-2012 05:06 PM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  I played Hero Academy for a short time but still don't know what you mean by 'challenges'. Please enlighten me.
They're puzzles that were recently added.

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
Find all posts by this user
07-04-2012, 12:09 AM
I just installed Hero Academy again to take a look at these challenges. As Eijolend said, they are puzzles in the context of a turn, i. e. 'kill the enemy Knight in this situation', where 'this situation' is a predefined positioning of friendly and hostile units.
It's a clever idea to expand an asynchronous strategy game like Hero Academy through familiar problems like this. They give you the opportunity to test teams you haven't bought yet, for example.

But - these challenges heavily rely on the undo function. You are encouraged to try and test different moves to achieve the given goal. I haven't played many challenges, but I presume many only have one valid solution and your challenge lies in finding this one combination of moves through experimentation.
As far as my understanding of OMLs great plan for Outwitters goes, they want it to be a community driven multiplayer game and while it would certainly be possible to add predefined problems like in chess, it just doesn't fit into the greater concept in my opinion. It would also feel very inconsistent to have an undo button in Outwitters.

Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
07-04-2012, 12:43 AM
well they wouldnt directly copy the challenges, maybe add their own challenges like skimirishes and stuff?
07-04-2012, 01:00 AM
(07-04-2012 12:09 AM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  As far as my understanding of OMLs great plan for Outwitters goes, they want it to be a community driven multiplayer game and while it would certainly be possible to add predefined problems like in chess, it just doesn't fit into the greater concept in my opinion. It would also feel very inconsistent to have an undo button in Outwitters.

Just to clarify, the undo button in HA challenges works like a "reset" button, where you start the whole challenge over.
07-04-2012, 01:32 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2012 01:35 AM by Kamikaze28.)
(07-04-2012 12:43 AM)knighthalo123 Wrote:  well they wouldnt directly copy the challenges, maybe add their own challenges like skimirishes and stuff?

Copying the challenges wouldn't work. Not only do the units function completely differently but the tessellations are not bijective. Read: Hero Academy has squares, Outwitters has hexagons - does not compute.

Why skirmishes (with an AI opponent) are hard to do is explained in another thread by me.

(07-04-2012 01:00 AM)aaronINdayton Wrote:  
(07-04-2012 12:09 AM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  As far as my understanding of OMLs great plan for Outwitters goes, they want it to be a community driven multiplayer game and while it would certainly be possible to add predefined problems like in chess, it just doesn't fit into the greater concept in my opinion. It would also feel very inconsistent to have an undo button in Outwitters.

Just to clarify, the undo button in HA challenges works like a "reset" button, where you start the whole challenge over.

Which is exactly the same behavior as in a regular game where the undo button resets your entire turn.

On a completely unrelated note: we have completely veered off topic here - the original question was about the availability of a guide or help section in Outwitters, which has been answered.

07-04-2012, 09:24 AM
aw man i really wanted a single player version of the game to play on
07-04-2012, 01:11 PM
(07-04-2012 01:32 AM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  Why skirmishes (with an AI opponent) are hard to do is explained in another thread by me.

[quote='Kamikaze28' pid='1123' dateline='1341324580']

Skirmish is hard to do WELL. I am not sure how hard it is to cobble together some half baked AI. For example, Uni War (an asynch tactics game) has a lengthy campaign with half baked AI.

I understand that OML doesnt want to spend effort on a mediocre AI, but people do like it.
07-04-2012, 01:31 PM
maybe they could have survival single player where youre given like 2 of each unit, and then "MEDIOCRE" AI as you put it will be spawned in and will attack you coninuously while increasing in the number, in the end you die and your high score is number of dead enemis