Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
About sharing ST Replays, and some suggestions to develop gameplay.
11-01-2012, 03:48 AM
About sharing ST Replays, and some suggestions to develop gameplay.
When I was in clever league, I was trying to achieve something different with special units. As you know I paid for them.. why should not try. However in Gifted League I start seeing people copying the replay of supertitan vs.. Nobody is care for trying something different, yesterday I dont know how that happened but we played in Sweetie Plains 2 times and he was P1, and he tried his best to put forward I misclicked in one my games and I lost that one. When I pm'ed him to develop certain type of strategies rather than rushing with runners, he accused me of being noob. I know there are only 6 type of maps for 1v1 and right now I am in P2 in all my foundry games and every P1 has the same openning and that follows the same path of the replay videos.

I humbly appreciate your work for sharing your experience with other players but people started to act like a copy cat, nothing more. This is also related to FTA I know.. but I wonder what do you suggest for the future references to OML team. New maps ? Different placements for our sources etc ? This is the best strategy game I have played after The Risk and what makes The Risk a legend is you have different places from game to game could OutWitters develop such thing ? What if resources are placed randomly ? Could that work , please share your suggestions.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2012, 04:12 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2012 04:14 AM by joelduque.)
RE: About sharing ST Replays, and some suggestions to develop gameplay.
As you can see from ST and other replays, there is simply no best strategy. Skill and also else equal, you may guess what your opponent have behind your line of sight. You can win games by copying but analysis should also be done why a particular combination of moves was made. Your post covered a lot of things and I cannot pinpoint as to what your main concern is.

In my case, if I lose a match I keep quiet. If I win I still stay quiet but become very happy inside. All game; nothing personal. I learn from both the mistakes and wonderful moves each of us made. And I move on. I may have one of the most number of games played in Outwitters. Good luck on whatever your goal/s with playing this game may be.

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
11-01-2012, 04:20 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2012 04:21 AM by blckace.)
I love people who share replays, it's one of the coolest features of the game. I personally watch every game and I learn from them, it boosts your skill because you won't make the same mistakes as the person who lost. I'm guessing your complaint is about copy cats but noone can copy a game because this game is reactive and skill based not a fixed moves game, if someone is copying games move for move it saves you the trouble of guessing and provides an oppurtunity for perfect counters.
11-01-2012, 04:21 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2012 04:23 AM by Eijolend.)
This is not only related, but imho stems almost entirely from FTA. I'm really looking forward to the FTA fix in the next patch. The longer the game developed the preciser the 1st player opening moves got and I feel for many maps it now arrived at the point where there are no good responses for P2 - only bad and less bad ones, with the choice to either lose the game, a sniper or a medic or any combination of those.
Of course every P1 not abusing these weaknesses is not playing optimally, so why wouldn't they?

That being said you can still feel the difference between someone having a plan and those kind of players queue stacking and P1 rushing all the time, that immedeately cease to make any good moves as soon as there are more than 5 units involved.
I think as soon as there is no opening that guarantees P1 some kind of advantage, people will get creative again.

edit: There are so many variations of those openings around though, that it remains interesting for the moment.

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
11-01-2012, 04:24 AM
I've been able to do well in Outwitters not because I copy other good players strategies - though I do pick up some tricks here and there. Mostly, I am able to accurately assess what the best move is in a given situation. There is no "best way" to play Outwitters...every game is different. Aside from the opening, which maybe is your point. But I think it's a good thing that the opening situation stays the same, for the same reason that chess games should always begin in the same way. This protects the fairness and purity of the game. Also, there is no one "best" opening for most maps (foundry being the possible exception...though I am not sure what the "best" opening would be). I'm not sure there ever will be a best opening, though, just because of fog of war. It will always be possible to surprise your opponent.
11-01-2012, 04:51 AM
Some of you got me wrong.. I think I did not make myself clear- my bad. This reponse is to

GreatGonzales : Chess is a unique play because there is much more versatality , so is Outwitters, but I talk for Gifted league most of the players start to rush with runners in larger maps. They sometimes got me sometimes not. But eventhough I play with different ppl around the league, they push with the similar sources in a similar way. So you can ask me what I want - want it to be more tactical.. My oppenent always using his runners, etc. I have faced with so many Adorables but have not seen mobi yet :/ No1 attacked me bombshells with his scrambler or using his sniper via Mobi..I know it feels good to win but Come on ! dont u say Waow I pulled this of !! Honestly I would love using specials because they are giving you flexibility I dont like runner rush, / of course I do attack the sniper on foundry who does not ? / but I also want to see people amaze me with their tactics.. Because only then will I see that replay with a some sort of satisfaction..
11-01-2012, 05:00 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2012 05:01 AM by GreatGonzales.)
Have you tried using boosted runners/soldiers to counter runner rushes so you can get ahead in the unit count? Runner rushes only work if you can keep up the pressure and it's hard to do that if they lose their unit count advantage. Sometimes it's OK to allow your base to take a few hits if it means you can gain a tactical advantage and be able to counter-attack.
11-01-2012, 05:10 AM
(11-01-2012 05:00 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  Have you tried using boosted runners/soldiers to counter runner rushes so you can get ahead in the unit count? Runner rushes only work if you can keep up the pressure and it's hard to do that if they lose their unit count advantage. Sometimes it's OK to allow your base to take a few hits if it means you can gain a tactical advantage and be able to counter-attack.

Its not about runners, I see the replay of titans.. How they gather their sources together, putting specials behind them you know trying to make a fabolous move...I think I should try hard to get to the ST ..
11-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Well, one part of being a super-titan (like me) is that you would be glad to see a runner rush. If my opponent does a runner rush, it means an auto-win for me, even as 2P on Foundry. I think instead of trying to get into super-titan, you should focus on how to defeat a runner rush easily.

btw if you are losing to runner rushes, I don't think you would do well in ST, lol
11-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Don't be afraid of runner rush! I guess you have better to calculate how many wits does your opponent cost for the runner rush. In most of the maps, may be all, players need to move the runners twice in order to reach the opponent's units/bases. it is very costly, especailly in the begining of the game.