Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
bugs and crashes giving hell. if you're seeing this please fix it Adam/Alex
11-02-2012, 08:29 PM
RE: bugs and crashes giving hell. if you're seeing this please fix it Adam/Alex
Ya it's to prevent people from peeking into fog, reinstalling the app and making their way as if they saw everything.

It's a feature.

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2012, 01:42 AM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2012 01:46 AM by worldfamous.)
(11-02-2012 07:48 PM)QuantumApocalypse Wrote:  
(11-02-2012 04:06 PM)bbbsss Wrote:  
(10-30-2012 01:18 PM)Admiral 77 Wrote:  It's not a bug. If you open a game on one device (ie. your iPad) then you have to finish it there. You can't open that same game on another device (ie. your iPhone).

is that really so?
last month when I was on vacation I used my wife's iPhone to finish some games I had started n my iPad

It only applies for games that have been opened and not completed on one device.

Actually, it applies for TURNS that have been opened and not completed on one device. Sure wish they'd fix that.
(11-02-2012 08:29 PM)Harti Wrote:  Ya it's to prevent people from peeking into fog, reinstalling the app and making their way as if they saw everything.

It's a feature.
So, I'm wondering, if you were to close the app in the background, would the same problem occur once you open it? I guess what I'm asking is, where is the data stored in the middle of a turn? I ask because I know you can make half of your turn, exit to play another turn, and return to that same point you were at. Why can't this data be saved in the cloud and across devices? Anyone know?
11-04-2012, 06:19 PM
(11-03-2012 01:42 AM)worldfamous Wrote:  
(11-02-2012 08:29 PM)Harti Wrote:  Ya it's to prevent people from peeking into fog, reinstalling the app and making their way as if they saw everything.

It's a feature.
So, I'm wondering, if you were to close the app in the background, would the same problem occur once you open it? I guess what I'm asking is, where is the data stored in the middle of a turn? I ask because I know you can make half of your turn, exit to play another turn, and return to that same point you were at. Why can't this data be saved in the cloud and across devices? Anyone know?

1. Syncing is hard
2. In the pre-release beta you could actually do half a turn, notice a mistake, kill Outwitters in the Multitask-Bar, reopen it and redo your turn. This was fixed together with the "use 2 devices to start a turn on one and actually submit it on the other with superior knowledge"-thing.
3. Syncing is really hard.
4. Every communication with the Outwitters Server costs OML - not to mention the space running games take up. So a completely synced implementation where the entire game state (including unfinished turns) is stored on the server and distributed to all devices would have been a fiscal disaster and performance hog.
5. Syncing is really frustratingly, headache-inducingly, you-want-to-rip-your-hair-out hard.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-04-2012, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 06:39 PM by QuantumApocalypse.)
(11-03-2012 01:42 AM)worldfamous Wrote:  Actually, it applies for TURNS that have been opened and not completed on one device. Sure wish they'd fix that.
*facepalm*
That's what I meant Tongue

(11-03-2012 01:42 AM)worldfamous Wrote:  So, I'm wondering, if you were to close the app in the background, would the same problem occur once you open it? I guess what I'm asking is, where is the data stored in the middle of a turn? I ask because I know you can make half of your turn, exit to play another turn, and return to that same point you were at. Why can't this data be saved in the cloud and across devices? Anyone know?
The data of your pre-submission moves are stored locally on the device. A feature was later added in the beta that sent some device info to the server when you opened up the game, allowing it to lock you to that device for that turn. This prevented people from checking out the map on one device, and submitting the move on another.

Closing the app in backgrounding doesn't affect the data that is stored to your device, as that is a "gentle" way of closing the app. This shouldn't affect your games. Before, killing the app via lock+home would forcibly close the app and remove the temporary data of your moves, but that's also fixed now Tongue

Anyway, as kamikaze pretty clearly said, syncing is expensive, annoying and really hard. You'd need a constant internet connection and after every move, you'd need to expect a drop in performance as the game sent off that information to the server. Then when you decide to change devices halfway through, that device then pushes the server for your games and whatever turns you completed. And then on top of that, you get people trying to exploit the system by disconnecting their internet and whatnot.