Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Lose vs Give Up
02-22-2013, 09:48 PM
RE: Lose vs Give Up
(02-22-2013 09:30 PM)blckace Wrote:  I really appreciate it when my opponent gives up when their loss is inevitable
I do the same if I was losing
Why waste both our time when making a mistake is highly unlikely?

i dont think its a waste of time cause i usually only have about 3-5 games going. so i have many empty slots so i can play whenever i want to. i dont have to wait for my opponent to win to start another.

and i also play this game to have fun. i find destroying the base( or blocking all spawn) myself satisfying so i let others experience the same.

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2013, 03:12 AM
(02-22-2013 08:10 PM)TheQwertiest Wrote:  
(01-29-2013 03:50 AM)Erenan Wrote:  Come to think of it, I think I might stop giving up entirely, just in case my opponent forgets about Outwitters and times out. Big Grin Tongue

i think its only applicable for people with below 50 league wins. if your opponent has more than 150 dont count on it. xD
and i let my opponent take the win if theyre playing at a fast pace.

I use voodoo to make my opponents forget to play.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-23-2013, 05:41 AM
(01-27-2013 09:11 AM)Phillip Wrote:  It's like walking off the field and forfeiting a football game that you are losing. Sure a forfeit is a win, but its pathetic. You spend a few days to a week battling and then just when you are toast you quit rather than taking the loss with honor? It's wimpy. It should count as a double loss. Double the negative points for a loss if it is a forfeit I say.

Imagine game 7 of the Stanley cup playoffs. Your team is up 6-1 going into the third period and the other team doesn't come out of their dressing room. They just hit the bus and take off. Poor sportsmanship.you win, you lose finish the game and shake hands with the bad guys afterwards. GG

this.
but i dont feel as strongly. i really dont mind if my opponent gives up but i would prefer it if they would let me finish the game. i think its one of the fun parts of the game.

Anonymous Clan
02-23-2013, 05:42 AM
(01-27-2013 09:11 AM)Phillip Wrote:  It's like walking off the field and forfeiting a football game that you are losing. Sure a forfeit is a win, but its pathetic. You spend a few days to a week battling and then just when you are toast you quit rather than taking the loss with honor? It's wimpy. It should count as a double loss. Double the negative points for a loss if it is a forfeit I say.

Imagine game 7 of the Stanley cup playoffs. Your team is up 6-1 going into the third period and the other team doesn't come out of their dressing room. They just hit the bus and take off. Poor sportsmanship.you win, you lose finish the game and shake hands with the bad guys afterwards. GG
You aren't comparing apples to apples here. If OW was a timed game, sure, play out the clock. There are also very few games comparable to the clinching game of a championship series, it's not fair to say that the guy who didn't let you get the last hp of his base just lost the World Series, unless you are in a big tourney. And to go just a bit further, I don't get paid to play OW. Do you? Not to mention, if there is a football game at 54-0 in the 2 minute drill of the fourth quarter, if it isn't a playoff scenario, you are probably running plays against the second string.
Don't get me wrong, I am not a huge fan of peeps throwing in the towel, but what the heck does it hurt? Not my rating, not my pride, not my wallet.

(01-27-2013 09:11 AM)Phillip Wrote:  IMO, the decision points should be
Winner/loser points
100%/100% for base = 0 loss
150%/150% for losing all units
100%/200% for quitters
The game is beautiful for it's simplicity, but the points are largely a "feel-good" participation reward for the most part anyhow, so this wouldn't affect games not held between fluffies in my estimation. To boot, the only way I see it changing games in fluffy league is that a wily kid who knows the game will take advantage of noobs making an attempt at points farming because they think that is what will get them promoted.

Bulby37: Idea Man
[Image: sealbanner700.jpg]
02-23-2013, 05:48 AM
i think he chose a championship game as an example to exaggerate his point.
to let us understand what he's trying to say more clearly

Anonymous Clan
02-23-2013, 06:09 AM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2013 06:29 AM by Bulby37.)
I understand that, but let's be honest here. Let's say his example actually happened and a team just walks off the ice. Do you really think the Champs are going to gripe about it, or will they just commence to jigglin' and pop some bottles a few minutes early? The tv network that lose ad time during the big game would be annoyed, fans of the losing team would too, but the winners would be too busy thanking Mama and having pictures with the trophy to care.
Meanwhile, it's a fairly well known fact that taking a loss earlier rather than later is generally better for your hidden ranking. Therefore, if there is a game in which my opponent plays one turn every two days, but he has a sure thing, I am going to give it up every time.
While we are making exaggerations to prove points, I will say that taking satisfaction from drawing out every last move in a game that you know you have already won is slightly akin to kicking a burglar with no legs that is handcuffed to a toilet. It's not like the dude would be going anywhere, just let the cops come pick him up.

Bulby37: Idea Man
[Image: sealbanner700.jpg]
02-23-2013, 06:22 AM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2013 06:24 AM by TheQwertiest.)
i think the win will have much more meaning if the losing team plays out the game. but like i said i really dont mind. but if i had to chose between my opponent giving up or letting me finish the game id pick letting me finish
(01-29-2013 02:53 AM)The RawkHawk Wrote:  I only forfeit in situations where I know I have lost - but there are still a couple turns left before my opponent would actually be able to win.
Most of the time this does not happen. In most cases, if my opponent is going to win in 2 turns I give them the satisfaction of playing it out. Tis polite.

Anonymous Clan
02-24-2013, 01:44 AM
(02-23-2013 06:09 AM)Bulby37 Wrote:  I understand that, but let's be honest here. Let's say his example actually happened and a team just walks off the ice. Do you really think the Champs are going to gripe about it, or will they just commence to jigglin' and pop some bottles a few minutes early? The tv network that lose ad time during the big game would be annoyed, fans of the losing team would too, but the winners would be too busy thanking Mama and having pictures with the trophy to care.
Meanwhile, it's a fairly well known fact that taking a loss earlier rather than later is generally better for your hidden ranking. Therefore, if there is a game in which my opponent plays one turn every two days, but he has a sure thing, I am going to give it up every time.
While we are making exaggerations to prove points, I will say that taking satisfaction from drawing out every last move in a game that you know you have already won is slightly akin to kicking a burglar with no legs that is handcuffed to a toilet. It's not like the dude would be going anywhere, just let the cops come pick him up.

Watch more hockey. There would be a brawl the next time they meet. Go to a local park and challenge a guy to a 1.1 basketball to 10 points. When he is up 8-0 and you have the ball, put the ball on the ground and walk home. At the lightest you will get yelled at, I imagine in some NY neighborhoods you may not be able to walk home.

It's lame
02-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Cept this isnt basketball or hockey. Its outwitters

[Image: remur.gif]

Click it. You know you want to.
02-24-2013, 08:05 AM
In Basketball or Hockey or whatever, the physical actions you take in playing the game are part of the reason you play. Just because you are going to lose eventually doesn't mean that still trying your best at the game is a waste of time or not fun or no longer good exercise or something.

However, in Outwitters, often at the end of a game where you really have no hope of winning, trying your best basically means going through the motions of playing a hopeless turn and hitting Done. If your opponent is going to win on the next turn and you can't stop them, does it really make any difference in terms of the game itself if you give up? You both know what the winner would have done if you didn't hit give up, so it's not so much giving up as it is saying, "Nice job, you got me that time!"

Resigning in Chess is considered a normal thing and not rude. Same idea.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user