Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML
10-15-2012, 05:08 AM (This post was last modified: 10-15-2012 05:25 AM by CombatEX.)
RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML
Thanks for clarifying the 'Speed Game' section of your main post Ravernoth. Sounds goods.

I do agree with Eijolend that it's great being able to stay competitive without having to invest chunks of time. I would advise against separate leaderboards. I was actually thinking more that players would use asynch mode in friendly matches or randoms than on ladder. However, now that it has been brought up it would work for ladder too.

Just keep the ladder intact though. Both players have to play with the time-limit anyway so why not keep them on the main ladder? I know that in Chess players aren't ranked the same in speed vs standard, but speed Outwitters is more similar to standard Outwitters than speed Chess is to standard Chess. In the proposed speed Outwitters in a typical game you'll have 30 seconds - 1 minute per turn whereas in chess you typically have <10 seconds (well at least in the speed Chess I've watched though I imagine there are variants).

New Suggestion

This goes with idea 1 in your main post.

1) Change the business model

a) Make it a paid app - Example: Great Big War Game, $2.99
  • All teams are included
  • Release Demo version with League disabled and only Scallywags available

I think a better way to do this however would be to keep the main app free. Personally I'm less likely to download a demo version than I am to just download the main app. So here is my alternative suggestion.

b) Keep it free
  • Raise price of Uber pack to $6.99
  • League play is locked until a purchase is made (this works in the same way the 20 game limit works so for example you can buy one team and that will unlock league).

I think this is a critical error. Free players should not be allowed to play ranked games, in fact, it's quite shocking (extremely generous, Adam and Alex are such nice guys =D) that anyone can play ladder without paying a cent.

Make Outwitters a paid app with all features, but make the free demo version so that you can't play ladder. Or, keep Outwitters free, but essentially a paid app in that players cannot play ranked without paying.

This would be similar to how Blizzard does Starcraft 2. You can play SC2 for free but only in casual games and only with one team. This way free players can get a good idea of whether they enjoy the gameplay enough to make the purchase (since they can play full games in unranked). Outwitters already does the one team part, but for some reason anyone can play ladder. =O If you like the game enough to want to compete... just pay for it already.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Outwitters' low revenue - Marketing suggestions and ideas for OML - CombatEX - 10-15-2012 05:08 AM