Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bombshell Turtling - Balancing Suggestion
10-07-2012, 08:35 AM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2012 07:09 PM by CombatEX.)
RE: Bombshell Turtling - Balancing Suggestion
I agree with Syvan. Until I see data, don't nerf the bombshell. I'm starting to sense SC2 balance whine syndrome (not talking to ts in particular, but I just dont want this to devolve into battle.net forums). Please do things like provide replays and statistics if you want to make a valid point. Anyway, I hope OML takes the approach Blizzard does, that is, take their time in decide balance changes based on detailed study of matchup statistics on various maps. I feel like these changes are just going to make the bombshell not viable. The bombshell is meant to lock down certain parts of the map (I guess you can call this turtling). Bombshells inherently share characteristics with turtling. Making them bad doesn't change their role. How do you imagine players using a bombshell that first involve setting it up in a strong position and protecting it with units? Moving a bombshell is expensive and so as a good player you want to move it as little as possible and just protect it (turtle around that key location). It's the intended playstyle. Is it too strong? Again, give me some stats. It would be interesting to see the most played team next to player names in division rankings by the way. This would shed a little more light on balance at the higher levels. Ultimately though team matchup stats on a map by map basis is what we need.
I would like to add to what Syvan said about maps. In Starcraft like Outwitters, maps play a huge role. Attempting to balance maps for each matchup is much more common than balancing units (there are even professional mapmaking teams) since the units are largely balanced already. In Outwitters the specials seem balanced closely enough such that map changes should be sufficient to tweak balance in the matchups (as is done in SC2). Good maps are as crucial as unit balance as long as the units are reasonably close to begin with (as they are in Outwitters, no special is WAY better even if they aren't completely balanced).

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bombshell Turtling - Balancing Suggestion - CombatEX - 10-07-2012 08:35 AM