Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The most important thing in the new update...for you?
09-28-2012, 08:33 AM
RE: The most important thing in the new update...for you?
(09-27-2012 08:36 PM)Ravernoth Wrote:  Whats the point of letting a player accumulate 20 game win streaks without moving up?

I think the main problem is not the threshold itself, but the ability to have many games ongoing at once (which is a necessity for an asynchronous game)
I posted this a while ago:
(08-26-2012 08:47 AM)Eijolend Wrote:  [...]
please consider, that for searching an opponent the system can only use your record up to that moment. The system can't know that you're about to win several games you have ongoing. With the possibility of up to 20 games at once it shouldn't come as a surprise that the adjustment for better opponent's feels delayed because only your most recently started matches are matched with your current rating.

I think these two issues, that delay everything, are what most people are experiencing that are on a 20-x streak. This also shows it's very challenging to develop a ranking system that can handle multiple games at once. (the well known rating systems like ELO, sc2's MMR or XBoxLive TrueSkill usually aren't confronted with this problem)
That's not to say it's good that it takes so long, but maybe this can explain a little why it is the way it is.

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-28-2012, 09:54 AM
(08-26-2012 08:47 AM)Eijolend Wrote:  [...]
please consider, that for searching an opponent the system can only use your record up to that moment. The system can't know that you're about to win several games you have ongoing. With the possibility of up to 20 games at once it shouldn't come as a surprise that the adjustment for better opponent's feels delayed because only your most recently started matches are matched with your current rating.

I think these two issues, that delay everything, are what most people are experiencing that are on a 20-x streak. This also shows it's very challenging to develop a ranking system that can handle multiple games at once. (the well known rating systems like ELO, sc2's MMR or XBoxLive TrueSkill usually aren't confronted with this problem)

Hey Eijolend! =D What you say is certainly a factor, but I think it extends quite beyond that. When I played league before getting bored from consistently being matched against weaker players, I usually only had 2 or 3 games going at once. As a result, the problem you specify shouldn't really extend to me and as such, when I was on a ~20 win streak I should have been playing Masters players. Instead I just kept getting matched against Gifted over and over again.

Now I've gotten fed up with league because why would I want to play 30 more one-sided games when I could be playing more friendlies with you and other Super-Titans? Maybe when I have more time to trudge through these dull league matches I'll get around to it*, but in the mean time I'll just stick to playing friendlies and 2v2 with you. =P

*or if league promotion is tuned to be easier for people with disproportionately high win records (please? =O)

If a player has 90%+ w/l just give them some harder matches already...
09-28-2012, 10:22 AM
The leagues are meant to be somewhat sticky, it's not a bug but a feature.

While it is true that it sometimes just feels like ages, it is very hard for a machine to determine your skill without knowing much about you and your opponents. The system shouldn't prematurely assume that you're capable of playing that level and put you into a league where you would get beaten like a sandbag.
I do agree, though, that leagues should be made a little less sticky, i.e. pair you up / down against the respective next tier more quickly, and if you keep having positive records against all sorts of players you should be promoted ASAP.

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
09-28-2012, 10:46 AM
I agree that promotion should require a lot of games. That's not the problem. The problem is the system doesn't match you up with better opponents quickly enough. How is the system supposed to know if you're ready to be promoted or not if they keep giving you low ranked players despite 90%+ w/l? So yes, I don't think promotions need to be made easier than they are now in terms of when you get promoted based on the caliber of players you have been matched with. Rather, I think the system should match players with disproportionately high records with better players more quickly. If this is done, then it will naturally follow that the promotion will come faster since the player is winning against better opponents.

Ultimately I could care less about an artificial badge (getting promoted), but I would like my w/l to normalize at 50/50 more quickly (playing opponents of my skill).
09-28-2012, 08:39 PM
As someone who has been promoted and demoted and repromoted I can definitely say it is an arduous climb. I am not sure but I think the maps play a role as far as making certain that you are capable of winning on all of them before you start getting paired with higher ranked players.

[Image: sig.png]
09-28-2012, 09:34 PM
Re Eijolend's post about game queuing, my experience was v similar to Szei's in that I usually only had 2-3 games going on at a time, so I don't think the queuing was a major factor. I've moved this discussion to a new thread as Ravernoth suggested, as I think it's an area of the game that could see some improvement. Sorry to have hijacked your thread Kman 29!