Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Alex: Proof that FTA is huge and needs addressing now, and how to fix it
09-24-2012, 04:01 AM (This post was last modified: 09-24-2012 04:03 AM by Ravernoth.)
RE: Alex: Proof that FTA is huge and needs addressing now, and how to fix it
(09-24-2012 02:07 AM)Eijolend Wrote:  I like your suggestion, but it all has been discussed already and the possibility of a super unit on the first move is a big controversy.
I agree that something should be done, but I'm unsure if it's that easy.

That being said, I'm all for trying out different variants and see what works best. Adjusting the amount of wits should be the easiest thing to test.

(09-24-2012 03:35 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  I will chime in to say that I like the idea of giving P2 3 extra wits, better than giving P1 only 3 wits. I think some testing might be required to make sure this is not broken, though - this means that P2 can get a special on turn 1. Could be OP.

Thanks for the comments. I'd like to repeat a point I made - this controversy of P2 getting a special unit on the 1st turn an illusion.

P1 already has this option every game.

If P1 skips his turn he starts as P2, but with 10 wits.

But no P1 even skips his turn, so by implication the current setup offers P1 an even greater advantage than being P2 with 10 wits and a 'first turn' special.

The huge imbalance of wits is there and clear to see. Just reduce it, that is a big and obvious improvement in balance to be made by moving to a middle ground e.g. P2 with 8 wits.

We're leaving a glaring hole there because we can't decide exactly how big it is.

(09-24-2012 02:46 AM)vivafringe Wrote:  Either solution would work. Here is another solution that would work: give P2 an extra soldier.

The annoying thing would be that you would have to tune each map differently (placement matters a lot). But, compared to the other solutions, it has the advantage of 1p not being obviously better through simple arithmetic (if P1 skips his turn, blah blah).

P1's advantage is already there through arithmetic as I showed in the current scenario. The simple solution is to reduce this advantage by increasing P2's wits.

After this quick change, we can check to see if the game is balanced enough. There's no doubt it will be much closer.

That's preferable to leaving the problem and looking to balance it by giving P2 a very different advantage.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Alex: Proof that FTA is huge and needs addressing now, and how to fix it - Ravernoth - 09-24-2012 04:01 AM