Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Special Unit Balance
09-08-2012, 11:35 PM
RE: Special Unit Balance
I always thought Scrambler was sorta weak. Then again, I'm a noob. Trying the top-row-snipe-sharkfood thing. Thanks for the tip!

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2012, 01:37 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2012 01:46 AM by MrUseless.)
(09-08-2012 08:34 AM)wonderpug Wrote:  But fancy ninja strike moves are just one of the things Mobi can do. If you use him as nothing more than a mundane unit transport, he essentially becomes a new bonus wit space worth 1-3 (or more) wits, depending on how many unit jumps he saves you.

I completely agree with this. In most of my games where I get out a Mobi, he is not used for attacking but rather moving Snipers and Heavies to the front lines quickly, or making hit and run pokes.

The OP said they smile whenever an opponent chooses anything but Scallywags because he "knows its going to be an easy game". Is it possible this person hasn't played very many skilled players? Or perhaps he really is that good that even the best ST players couldn't beat him using anything but Scallywags? I don't see how this could be the case, since he did work his way up to ST after all. BTW, I'm an average player (Gifted League) so don't challenge me thinking you will finally have a good game Smile I've come across plenty of challenging matches against the other teams, but that's just my opinion.

Congrats on making Super-Titan!
09-09-2012, 01:53 AM
(09-08-2012 11:35 PM)Demonwind66 Wrote:  I always thought Scrambler was sorta weak. Then again, I'm a noob. Trying the top-row-snipe-sharkfood thing. Thanks for the tip!

No problem! I only just discovered it myself by luck, I thought that the map would have a boundary around it. I haven't got into a situation yet that I've put it to good use yet, but I'm sure we will Smile

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
09-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Perhaps the shell is the best if your primary goal is to win...the slow and steady push after a strong defensive buildup is very effective.

However, I think a lot of people care more about having fun and imho shelling up is a little boring, especially because against a good player it can take so long, and I don't have that much patience for lots of long games. Also, the strategy feels more varied with scrambler/mobi because it's not pure turtling and actually takes some thought to use each in various game situations. Once you know the 1-2 places on every map where the shell is good then its not hard to pop out a few soldiers and the put the shell wherever it needs to be. Sure, there are "formulas" that can be followed for mobi/scrambler too but they are not as uniform as they are for the shell.
09-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Actually I find shell vs. shell fights to be the most fun part of Outwitters. Which is good, because in this current meta I end up doing a lot of those, ha.

I can understand why people wouldn't like playing Bombshell though. Yeah, it's very slow. Playing Bombshell well is more about not leaving anything open than it is about exploiting holes in your opponent's defense (although it definitely has both).
09-13-2012, 11:38 AM
After I mentioned that lategame Mobi tricks pale in comparison to the sheer power of bombshell, I played this game on Sharkfood Island:

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yi-KkAQw

In it, my ST opponent has 1p, but chooses to use silly Mobi tricks instead of rushing me down. So I patiently set up my bombshell, and win easily. The advantages he got from his mobi just didn't matter, in my eyes.
09-14-2012, 07:29 PM
IMHO, scramblers need +1 health, mobis are epic, and bombshells are excruciatingly powerful in the hands of a good player.
But yeah, something needs to be done about the scrambler.
09-16-2012, 09:14 AM
What if scramblers could move attack then move again (with reduced movement the second time). Perhaps that would be OP, but it's just a suggestion.
09-16-2012, 10:04 AM
(09-16-2012 09:14 AM)Appleisaac Wrote:  What if scramblers could move attack then move again (with reduced movement the second time). Perhaps that would be OP, but it's just a suggestion.

The whole point of a scrambler is they have a much larger amount of danger and defence associated with them compared to snipers at the cost of wit and no.of attacks (not to mention theyre much more mobile). Plus mortars are known for taking a while to set up after placement P:

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
09-16-2012, 10:53 AM
I think the scrambler is pretty much perfect. Just think of the wit value of what he can do with 1 wit. Picture him near the enemies base scrambling a boosted heavy. Anywhere from 2-6 wits just to kill the heavy, + 4 wits to spawn your own (minus the 3 health of course) and then 4-6 wits to move him there. So something that would cost between 10-16 wits, cost 1. My formula may not be perfect, but I'm sure you get the idea.