Thread Rating:
  • 14 Vote(s) - 4.36 Average
Outwitters WORLD CUP Winner - Alvendor (SWEDEN)
09-09-2012, 09:38 AM
RE: Outwitters WORLD CUP - STARTED
Sharkfood island
P1 Da Wizerd
P2 Ukiyulee
Da Wizerd
25 turns
Replay

Shark food island
P1 Ukiyulee
P2 Da Wizerd
Da Wizerd
30 turns
Replay
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2012, 12:57 PM
I hope this thread can get stickied. Would bring more attention to this tournament and also just be easier to check up on. In the group stages this thread will probably be close to the top anyway since people have to post results frequently but it may fall off the front page later like GreatGonzales' tournament did.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
09-09-2012, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2012 02:25 PM by CombatEX.)
It's too late now, but I just realized something. The second seeded player in each group plays on 2 small maps and 1 big map while the other 3 players play on 2 big maps and 1 small map. This means that depending on how accurate your PF/PA thresholds are for small maps compared to big maps either the second seeded player is at an advantage or disadvantage (i.e. is it easier or harder to earn more points on smaller or bigger maps given your point system?). I know this is a long way off but we should consider how to address this issue in future tournaments.

By the way, I like your point system. I didn't realize you planned to have point differential be independent of the base W/D/L points and only be used as a tie breaker. This is much better than what I thought you had in mind =)

09-09-2012, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2012 07:38 PM by awpertunity.)
(09-09-2012 02:18 PM)CombatEX Wrote:  It's too late now, but I just realized something. The second seeded player in each group plays on 2 small maps and 1 big map while the other 3 players play on 2 big maps and 1 small map. This means that depending on how accurate your PF/PA thresholds are for small maps compared to big maps either the second seeded player is at an advantage or disadvantage (i.e. is it easier or harder to earn more points on smaller or bigger maps given your point system?). I know this is a long way off but we should consider how to address this issue in future tournaments.

By the way, I like your point system. I didn't realize you planned to have point differential be independent of the base W/D/L points and only be used as a tie breaker. This is much better than what I thought you had in mind =)

Haha, to be complete I would have had to have a different scale for every single map, not just "big" vs "small". I'm not going to change the rules now obviously but even between the small and large maps the 'average # of turns' for a win is not the same.

The numbers I chose were definitely quite arbitrary, and I don't have too much justification for why I chose them. But for instance I'm pretty sure games on Sweetie Plains are a lot longer in general than Long Nine, even though they are both "big" maps.

So who does this give the advantage to? I have no idea... maybe something to think about for future tournaments.
09-10-2012, 05:12 AM
(09-09-2012 02:18 PM)CombatEX Wrote:  It's too late now, but I just realized something. The second seeded player in each group plays on 2 small maps and 1 big map while the other 3 players play on 2 big maps and 1 small map. This means that depending on how accurate your PF/PA thresholds are for small maps compared to big maps either the second seeded player is at an advantage or disadvantage (i.e. is it easier or harder to earn more points on smaller or bigger maps given your point system?). I know this is a long way off but we should consider how to address this issue in future tournaments.

I have all 3 small maps for my group play games >.>
09-10-2012, 05:15 AM
(09-10-2012 05:12 AM)Dawizerd Wrote:  I have all 3 small maps for my group play games >.>

Oh you're right. My mistake. Personally I like smaller maps though since I can always tell what my opponent is doing. =P

09-10-2012, 06:04 AM
Glitch
P1 Hewitt_1000
P2 cherylto
Cherylto
17 turns
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Y96qoAQw

Apparently hewitt encountered a bug. Not sure what to make of it..

GC: cherylto
09-10-2012, 07:17 AM
(09-10-2012 06:04 AM)phrenikos Wrote:  Glitch
P1 Hewitt_1000
P2 cherylto
Cherylto
17 turns

What was the bug? I watched the replay and you played really well and had the upper hand for sure regardless. He definitely didn't need to resign yet and still could have put up a fight for a while but it wasn't looking good. If he had been in a clearly winning position when he resigned it'd be another story but I think you deserve the win here.
09-10-2012, 09:24 AM
P1 awpertunity > P2 RandyDogz on Sweetie Plains 21 turns

P1 RandyDogz > P2 awpertunity on Sweetie Plains 47 turns

Replays posted in pdf
09-10-2012, 10:14 AM
(09-10-2012 07:17 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 06:04 AM)phrenikos Wrote:  Glitch
P1 Hewitt_1000
P2 cherylto
Cherylto
17 turns

What was the bug? I watched the replay and you played really well and had the upper hand for sure regardless. He definitely didn't need to resign yet and still could have put up a fight for a while but it wasn't looking good. If he had been in a clearly winning position when he resigned it'd be another story but I think you deserve the win here.

Thx a lot. Hewitt said he spawned a heavy instead of a scrambler, I told him to explain in on the forums about it..

GC: cherylto