Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Super Titan matched against Gifted
09-06-2012, 12:16 AM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2012 12:17 AM by Yipperpants.)
RE: Super Titan matched against Gifted
(08-29-2012 12:52 PM)wonderpug Wrote:  Yipper, are you frost392 or x-onyx-x? Pinoyboy posted a couple replays versus them and if one of those is yours I'd be happy to post some advice on when/where things went wrong, if you want.

Thanks for the offer, but alas I'm Yipperpants everywhere. I know all my mistakes from that game since each one was met swiftly with brutal repercussions, haha.

I went second, so what Dawizerd suggested seems right on the money. A friend, upper-mid tier of gifted has been matched with Sir3 twice. What's with you ST guys and banking on FTA games? Wink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-31-2012, 04:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2012 04:14 PM by joelduque.)
Please match me to same skill level. I want to earn decent points at times when I do win. Smile

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
10-31-2012, 04:39 PM
(09-02-2012 12:32 AM)Dawizerd Wrote:  Ok, so I decided to conduct a small experiment, and it may or may not have some correlation to this issue. I'll share the results.

First my background-
At the time I started I was in masters league, 58 wins, (around 50 1v1) with 560 league points. I've had about a 80% win percentage. I consistently get paired with master league players, usually those with anywhere from 80 to 150 wins or so, I feel that I play at a solid upper tier masters level. As a rule, I don't keep many active games going, I stay at around 5-6 at any given time.

The setup-
I load up my queue with 12 games as player 1. (details about this issue have been and continue to be covered in previous threads) I then sit on those open games for two days without taking my initial turn.

The results-
After two days, I start taking my initial turns on 6 of the 12 games loaded in my queue. The matchmaking system very quickly finds players to fill the games, usually in about 2 minutes. EVERY opponent in these games is taken from gifted league or lower. In my initial 6 games started (taken from the 12 in queue) I got 2 fluffy, 2 unranked and 2 clever leaguers.

After taking my initial turns on those 6 games, I start a brand new game (NOT one of the 12 I queued up), I immediately get matched as player 2 against a master league player.

After finishing most of the initial 6 queued games, I proceed to take my first turn on the remaining 6 games. ALL of them pair me with clever and unranked players. I then start another brand new game, quickly getting paired with a master leaguer, with me as player 2.

After all those games were finished, I returned to my usual routine of starting games, and am once again getting paired with upper tier master leaguers.

Summary-
In my case, "working the queue" resulted in pairings with opponents of a vastly lower skill level, while starting games at more random intervals gave me well matched opponents. So, could some of this "skill mismatch" issue be the way the system is reacting to queue loading by the higher league players?

Having read this post, I decided to conduct an experiment of my own recently. Being a lowly Gifted rank (my fault for not having the time to play a lot of league games recently), I wanted to see how I could be matched up against tougher opponents for the 2 open games I usually have going on at a time, using Da Wizerd's method above. The thesis was this: if high ranked players were being paired against lower league players, being a lower league player myself would I stand a good chance of being paired against players above my class?

I queued 2 games, and only took my turn after 3 days. The matchmaking system took half a day to find me a match --> p1noyboypj and another top 200 player! Awesome! Wink

Won't be doing it again though as this method requires me to have FTA against my higher-ranked opponents, and I do feel some guilt about that! Having said that, I'm still playing probably 80% of my games as P2... can't wait for the FTA fix to go through!
11-01-2012, 12:04 AM
That's pretty interesting, I wouldn't have expected it to happen the other direction as well.

Da Wizerd - Super-Titan
11-01-2012, 02:36 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2012 02:40 AM by CombatEX.)
(10-31-2012 04:39 PM)Samura| Wrote:  
(09-02-2012 12:32 AM)Dawizerd Wrote:  Summary-
In my case, "working the queue" resulted in pairings with opponents of a vastly lower skill level, while starting games at more random intervals gave me well matched opponents. So, could some of this "skill mismatch" issue be the way the system is reacting to queue loading by the higher league players?

Having read this post, I decided to conduct an experiment of my own recently. Being a lowly Gifted rank (my fault for not having the time to play a lot of league games recently), I wanted to see how I could be matched up against tougher opponents for the 2 open games I usually have going on at a time, using Da Wizerd's method above. The thesis was this: if high ranked players were being paired against lower league players, being a lower league player myself would I stand a good chance of being paired against players above my class?

I queued 2 games, and only took my turn after 3 days. The matchmaking system took half a day to find me a match --> p1noyboypj and another top 200 player! Awesome! Wink

Won't be doing it again though as this method requires me to have FTA against my higher-ranked opponents, and I do feel some guilt about that! Having said that, I'm still playing probably 80% of my games as P2... can't wait for the FTA fix to go through!

Wow. I, like you, only have two league games going at a time and I'm sick of being paired with low ranked players. Unlike you though, I'm going to be doing this every game from now on. It won't really matter because FTA will be drastically reduced in the coming patch and I'd rather be winning 30-40 points per game instead of 8-18. For people like us who play very few league games, having to play half as many is a huge deal. Okay, yes, we'll actually lose games playing against top 100 players (well, maybe not you haha) where as that's not the case against gifted, but you get the idea ^^ Also I'm playing 80% of my games as P2 currently also... so it would be nice to mix it up.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
11-01-2012, 02:41 AM
Good luck on using this to your advantage. You have to beat them (the higher ranked players) to get full advantage though.

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
11-01-2012, 03:32 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2012 03:33 AM by CombatEX.)
Thanks. It's fine because I already play them in friendlies at around 50/50 w/l. Of course... that's mostly against people at the mid-ST level so if I queue all top 10 players I'd be in trouble. But, it doesn't really matter because I wouldn't lose too many points for a loss and also I'd actually get to play matches that are as fun as my higher level friendlies instead my current low level ladder games.

The only downside is having to wait 3 days before taking my first turn =(

11-01-2012, 03:33 AM
@CombatEX: good luck, hope this works for you too! Yes perhaps I'll go back to using it, at least until there's some accelerated matchmaking for people with high W/L ratios!
11-01-2012, 03:39 AM
Thanks! And yes, ideally there would just be accelerated matchmaking =)

11-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Oops... just got promoted to Masters, finally! Smile. So much for using that technique now, heh.