Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Demotion after win
08-23-2012, 06:50 PM
Demotion after win
Just got demoted after a win. It was a situation where I had not played any turns in several hours, and came back to see 2 wins in my active games. Checking on the first, I see my final move and my opponent give up. Then the heartbreaking demotion.

based on my recent win loss record, I was expecting demotion anytime soon, but it was odd to see it come after a win.

Anyone else have this experience?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2012, 09:09 PM
RE: Demotion after win
I haven't experienced it, and this is a complete guess, but maybe the demotion system is based somewhat on the win/loss ratio of a certain amount of games? Eg, it calculates a block of 10 games at a time. This would mean that even if your last of those 10 is a win, the ratio of that block still determines a demotion.

Again, a complete guess. Commiserations on the demotion Sad
08-23-2012, 09:44 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 09:45 PM by anthoninja.)
Never nice to hear someone relegated. Sorry man...

Another theory could be that someone got promoted to your league whilst you were in a game. So when you finished, win or lose, it was your place they were taking based on your recent win/loss record.

I've seen lots of people say on here that after a demotion, the games are relatively easy because they're used to a higher standard, so I'm sure it won't be long before you bounce back :-)

What level did you drop to?
08-24-2012, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2012 08:36 PM by GregSMLSD.)
I dropped to Clever, which probably is more my speed. Since recent games have seemed more evenly matched, the system seems to have made the right call. At least some of my bonehead mistakes aren't costing me as dearly Smile
Lutherj, I suspect you're right, but I imagine it's a bigger number than last 10.
After my OP, I noticed I'd actually won 5 of my 6 and 3 in a row, so the demotion was doubly curious.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a last 30 or 40 games or so that was the factor. I'm pretty sure I've had a 10 game losing streak before without a demotion.