Poll: All their base are belong to you. Which would you rather your opponent do?
Resign
"Null" move
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resignation VS the 'Null' move (pertaining to your opponent): Irrelevant Poll #2!
08-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Resignation VS the 'Null' move (pertaining to your opponent): Irrelevant Poll #2!
So NathanDetr0it posed the question of what you do when your opponent is guaranteed to win on the next turn regardless of what you do. Do you resign? Or do you simply hit done and let them destroy your base (the "Null" move).

I'm here to ask which you would prefer your OPPONENTS do. Would you rather receive the "you win" notification, freeing up your games, or would you prefer to have the satisfaction of smashing their base to smithereens?

I AM THE 99.9997%!

[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2012, 09:10 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 09:29 AM by NathanDetr0it.)
RE: Resignation VS the 'Null' move (pertaining to your opponent): Irrelevant Poll #2!
I'll stand tall in my hypocrisy: I'd rather my opponent let me smash his base... while resigning hopeless games myself ;)

Of course, I'll offer this tantalizingly believable rationalization: I can control how long I'll take to finish the one game (and thus clear it from my queue), whereas the other places that power in the hands of my opponents.

Visit Outwitters, Analysis, and You! — an epic thread of Resource, Unit, and Map Analysis!
08-23-2012, 09:56 AM
RE: Resignation VS the 'Null' move (pertaining to your opponent): Irrelevant Poll #2!
Umm... you know you can resign at any time, right?
08-23-2012, 10:40 AM
(08-23-2012 09:56 AM)nivra0 Wrote:  Umm... you know you can resign at any time, right?

...thereby denying my opponent his base-smashing pleasure, which was the whole point of leaving the game active. Whether it blocks the queue for a day, or two days, or the full four it's still blocking the queue at the moment I would want it unblocked (the moment I realize that I have irrevocably lost) to start a new game.

Visit Outwitters, Analysis, and You! — an epic thread of Resource, Unit, and Map Analysis!
08-23-2012, 12:33 PM
It doesn't hugely matter, but I think I unconsciously give my opponent a little more respect for doing the null move. More like laying down one's king than going down fists swinging.

Even more respect if they do something intentionally silly with their last move. Wink
08-24-2012, 05:02 AM
I'll take the satisfaction of smashing the base any day. I'm sure most feel the same, which is why I resign if I'm particularly bitter about a loss. Tongue
08-24-2012, 11:21 AM
(08-23-2012 12:33 PM)wonderpug Wrote:  It doesn't hugely matter, but I think I unconsciously give my opponent a little more respect for doing the null move. More like laying down one's king than going down fists swinging.

Even more respect if they do something intentionally silly with their last move. Wink

In that case I'd love to play against you some time. No doubt you'll destroy me (I'm probably not even Master League material...) at which point you can see my end-game loss strategy...

———————————
Why is the rum gone?