Poll: Base Destruction Immanent, What Do?
Resign
'Null Move'
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resignation VS the 'Null' move: Irrelevant Poll #1!
08-23-2012, 08:19 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 08:34 AM by NathanDetr0it.)
Thumbs Up Resignation VS the 'Null' move: Irrelevant Poll #1!
Greetings Outwitterers: Presenting Irrelevant Poll #1!

Resignation VS the 'Null' move

When the game is lost beyond a doubt, and your opponent (having demonstrated both competency and wit) sits on the brink of victory, what do you do?

Resign and gg, swiftly acknowledging the loss and moving on, freeing up the game slot while saving yourself the indignity of watching your precious base shattered by the rampaging enemy hordes?

Or do you take the 'Null' move, ending your turn without moving, allowing your opponent the satisfaction of smashing your base into tiny bits at the cost of keeping that space in your game queue occupied for a potential 4 additional days?

Visit Outwitters, Analysis, and You! — an epic thread of Resource, Unit, and Map Analysis!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2012, 08:51 AM
RE: Resignation VS the 'Null' move: Irrelevant Poll #1!
Perhaps equally as relevant, which would you prefer your OPPONENTS do?

I AM THE 99.9997%!

[Image: sig.png]
08-23-2012, 09:21 AM
In my opinion the honourable thing is to let your opponent beat you, and I like my opponents to do the same if I'm about to win. If you've worked hard to get into that position and have won fairly through skill and wit, you've gotta be allowed to finish the job. That to me is better than receiving a "gg" and is real endgame etiquette.

As for your slot being taken up for potentially 4 days, I find that no matter how slow they were before, if someone's on the verge of beating you they suddenly become much quicker at making moves...

Smooth link to this thread from mine btw Big Grin
08-23-2012, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 09:27 AM by NathanDetr0it.)
(08-23-2012 09:21 AM)anthoninja Wrote:  As for your slot being taken up for potentially 4 days, I find that no matter how slow they were before, if someone's on the verge of beating you they suddenly become much quicker at making moves...

While I don't disagree, I have been burned before...

(08-23-2012 09:21 AM)anthoninja Wrote:  Smooth link to this thread from mine btw Big Grin

Cool

Visit Outwitters, Analysis, and You! — an epic thread of Resource, Unit, and Map Analysis!
08-23-2012, 09:47 AM
I resign usually and move on. Occasionally if there is a way for the opponent to really mess up I'll let it play out and see if he does. It's happened before
08-23-2012, 09:57 AM
(08-23-2012 08:19 AM)NathanDetr0it Wrote:  Or do you take the 'Null' move, ending your turn without moving, allowing your opponent the satisfaction of smashing your base into tiny bits at the cost of keeping that space in your game queue occupied for a potential 4 additional days?

You can resign at anytime.
08-23-2012, 10:33 AM
(08-23-2012 09:57 AM)nivra0 Wrote:  You can resign at anytime.

I thought of that; but if the whole idea is to graciously allow them to destroy your base, isn't resigning after a day or two just as bad as doing it the minute you become aware?

08-23-2012, 12:30 PM
If I've lost, but I know it many turns before the loss would play out, I resign. If my opponent will win on his or her next turn, I do the null move so they get the satisfaction of the exploding base animation. Smile
08-23-2012, 12:36 PM
What do you mean by "null move"? Is that just entering your turn without doing anything?

I usually like to go down with a fight, and defend until I can't defend any more. I find that it is worthwhile in learning good blocking strategies for times when it actually is necessary. Also, you can observe your opponent's finishing strategy and learn from it.

And of course, sometimes I will just mess around like spawn a mobi or just put out medics for no reason, but that's if I'm more familiar with the player.
08-23-2012, 09:59 PM
I like watching stuff blow up, especially bases!

Playing it out is good practice, and I've had what I thought were guaranteed losses turn around. As long as someone doesn't start dragging their feet on making moves I prefer playing it out.

Proud member of Anonymous clan
Master League 1x1, occasionally top 200
Master League 2x2 w Ryzuma