Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.6 Average
Outwitters, Analysis, and You - Post #2!
08-29-2012, 02:16 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2012 05:04 AM by Sakiehl.)
RE: Outwitters, Analysis, and You!
Mobi has some passive benefits though. He can pull snipers and heavies to the top with one move.

If the heavy is coming your way at the top, you only have 2 spaces open to hit him. 2 soldiers won't take him out and there's not enough room to attack with a third unit.
If you have a mobi and enough wits, you can attack with a soldier, jump him back, attack with another soldier and attack with a runner. You haven't over exposed your base and you took out his heavy.

The Scrambler is great but it's kind of all or nothing. Once you attack, you're committed, or your Scrambler will be hung out to dry. The Bombshell is another story... I think it's the most effective special for Sharkfood Island because the Island is so small.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2012, 03:52 AM
Wow, great thread (though I don't understand all) ! I wonder how time you take to create this, lol.

About the most effective special on SFI... Mobi or Bombshell. Mobi can teleport snipers, so these can easily attack the base... Don't have a lot of things to say about the bombshell.

Game Center ID : 27 Pastore.
1v1 : Gifted
I'm up for friendly games to get better Tongue
08-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Can't wait for updates to this thread/Guide.
09-01-2012, 05:45 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2012 05:52 AM by GreatGonzales.)
Hey Nathan, I don't know if this has been brought up yet (I scanned the thread and did not notice..) but I think you missed a pretty important resource that needs to be managed, namely the number of unit spawns per turn. Maybe this was covered by mentioning the number of spawns on a given map, but I think it's important to look at these on a per-turn basis. In a lot of my games, I find myself trying to overwhelm my opponent by getting an insurmountable lead in unit count because I know a) how many units my opponent currently has, b) how many I can destroy on this turn (usually by stockpiling wits), and c) how many units my opponent will be able to create per turn (1-2). Generally this strategy works best on maps with only 1 spawn for obvious reasons.

Anyway, maybe you covered this aspect already, but I wanted to throw it out there in case it was overlooked.
I'll also add that I agree that Outwitters is a very deep game. I somehow made it to the top 100 player list, but I still feel like I have a ton to learn. Many of my moves I'm like..."well...let's do this I guess? Seems like a good idea. Suuuure let's do it and see how it goes."
09-14-2012, 10:17 AM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2012 10:31 AM by NathanDetr0it.)
Gonzales, you're right: I hinted at but did not go into a lot of depth about spawn management. In my first post I called it "Strength Efficiency" and I am going to be going into greater detail in some of the upcoming Unit Profile posts.

Stay tuned, all!
after a long wait, Installment I of the Units Section is up! WOOO!

Visit Outwitters, Analysis, and You! — an epic thread of Resource, Unit, and Map Analysis!
09-14-2012, 08:43 PM
RE: Outwitters, Analysis, and You - Post #2!
Very well written post #2
09-14-2012, 10:29 PM
"Aside: The only other close contender? Mobi-Sniper, which admittedly does it at a greater distance (7) but for about 4 times the cost (3 wit sniper + 7 wit Mobi + 0-2 wit boost + 3 mobi moves + mobi trans + sniper attack = 17 Wits over FIVE turns or more."

3 mobi moves means 3 turns, some(most?) maps you can do a snipe in two mobi moves which is two turns.

Turn 1: Spawn mobi, move
Turn 2: move mobi, spawn sniper, port, snipe
2 turns, 14 wits.

Of course, the opportunity to do it this smoothly is extremely rare.
09-15-2012, 09:37 AM
Installment II: The Runner (con't) is up!
Installment III: The Runner (concluded), is on the way!

(09-14-2012 10:29 PM)aaronINdayton Wrote:  
NathanDetr0it Wrote:"Aside: The only other close contender? Mobi-Sniper, which admittedly does it at a greater distance (7) but for about 4 times the cost (3 wit sniper + 7 wit Mobi + 0-2 wit boost + 3 mobi moves + mobi trans + sniper attack = 17 Wits over FIVE turns or more."
3 mobi moves means 3 turns, some(most?) maps you can do a snipe in two mobi moves which is two turns.

True...

(09-14-2012 10:29 PM)aaronINdayton Wrote:  Turn 1: Spawn mobi, move
Turn 2: move mobi, spawn sniper, port, snipe
2 turns, 14 wits.

True...

(09-14-2012 10:29 PM)aaronINdayton Wrote:  Of course, the opportunity to do it this smoothly is extremely rare.

And, of course, True. :)

Visit Outwitters, Analysis, and You! — an epic thread of Resource, Unit, and Map Analysis!
09-15-2012, 11:29 PM
Really enjoying the analysis.

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'
09-16-2012, 01:33 AM
The post about the Runner basically just verifies what I learned through playing anyway. I never bothered to actually calculate all that stuff, but I'm glad someone else did. Smile

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!