Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Help: tactics vs bombshells on Peekaboo?
08-21-2012, 11:03 AM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2012 11:41 AM by Yipperpants.)
Help: tactics vs bombshells on Peekaboo?
Hi guys!

I started pretty recently and albeit addicted, I'm still fairly weak-witted (scallywag main, 35ish games, gifted league), so maybe this post is merely a reflection of that and nothing more.

Anyways, I've found myself having a hard time against bombshells on Peekaboo. Most of my Peekaboo opponents seem to favor rushing a bombshell turn 2-3 and turtling it against the base. I'm not really sure how to counter it. I always end up retreating back, bulking up my army, and attempting jabs at their base with runners for the next 40-60 turns. It hasn't really worked out. I've lost more games on Peekaboo than on the 5 other maps collectively. I must be missing something.

The STL replays haven't been as enlightening on this particularly question (though I haven't had the chance to read all of the posts). In one game, Alvendor lost a lot of units attempting to engage Lenoxe's defensive bombshell and ultimately had to retreat back to put up his own.

So can you witty strategists help me out? Thank you! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-21-2012, 12:17 PM (This post was last modified: 08-21-2012 12:19 PM by swimj.)
RE: Help: tactics vs bombshells on Peekaboo?
Nope, even among Super Titans, dealing with the bombshell on peekabo is always difficult.

1) Play Adorables-Mobi is very useful for killing a shell without needing to build up a huge attack. If there is one exposed side, a runner + mobi sniper can get a 4 hp shell. Furthermore, mobi can help you sneak around the shell and often destroy the base without having to fight a big army.

2) You say people are putting out shells on their 2nd/3rd turns. Most likely, they will place this shell within 3 steps of the spawn, as they will feel the need to make soldiers for a few more turns to guard the shell. Often this means whatever unit is on the wit space is isolated. Using a mobi to attack this lone unit after 5-6 turns is often a good way to disrupt your opponent, and can give an opportunity to hit the base.

What if your opponent puts their early shell by the wit space? Well then the shell will be less defended because its guarding units must move twice to be in position. So you should be able to take out the shell if that's the case.

3) Save up wits. Because of the cost of the shell, there will be stretches when your opponent will only have 6-7 wits to use (usually right after spawning a shell), which are good opportunities to attack. Their response will be limited because of wits. If you, on the other hand, save to 13-15 wits, then you could deal a big blow in a single turn. Take advantage of any openings your opponent leaves you. With the mobi, 2-3 open hexes is enough to get the base.

Ok, enough talk. Here is a super titan replay demonstrating what I said above.
Peekabo-Dealing with shells

Even though my initial attack on turn 12 failed, it did shake things up a bit, which is important against a turtle-minded opponent. Further, my opponent was a very good player so had the adequate defenses to force me back. However, against lesser skilled players, an attack like that certainly has a chance of going all the way.

Turn 26-A very common placement of shells is behind the soldier I attacked, because it basically covers the left side of the map. So if you are going to initiate an attack, that is a good place to start. It worked for me there.

Basically, my thinking as I launched my final attack was to force him to move his units around so that some space would open up. I had saved something like 13-15 wits before I began. Sure enough, an opening became available, I had just enough wits stored up (8) to finish him off in one turn.
08-21-2012, 12:47 PM
When you're done with the replay, watch the game. Does it crash?

I AM THE 99.9997%!

[Image: sig.png]
08-21-2012, 02:40 PM
@swimj
Thanks for such a detailed answer! Big Grin Especially with an example to boot. While #1 & #2 makes me seriously consider buying adorables, #3 definitely gave me a better idea of what kind of mentality to use. Turn 26 was devastating, and the 8 wits the turn after to follow that attack up really made the attack. It's made me completely rethink how to spent wits. Do you have any experience SvS, or thoughts on how your approach would have happened without a mobi?

@pookywb
The replay/game both seem fine and uncrashy to me. I've experienced random crashes switching between different game states (game/replay/results/main menu), but I haven't noticed any consistency.
08-21-2012, 05:08 PM
Mmkay.

I actually meant when you're done with the game. :/ I made a typo.

But it's good to hear that it's working.

I AM THE 99.9997%!

[Image: sig.png]
08-22-2012, 05:20 AM
Better scouting might help. If i see my opponent setting up something like that, ill pull a good chunk of my army to deal with it. I am aware this could also be used as a distraction, the map is called "Peekaboo" for a reason Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cool One day, i will be Super-Titan! One day....
08-22-2012, 06:07 AM
and yipper, go ahead and purchase the dame and support the developers, They have put so much care into catering the fantastic product for us
08-23-2012, 02:44 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 02:45 AM by Yipperpants.)
(08-22-2012 06:07 AM)texadian5223 Wrote:  and yipper, go ahead and purchase the dame and support the developers, They have put so much care into catering the fantastic product for us

Haha, I already have. I simply favor Scallywags. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to switch races just because I dread one map, but turtling a la the Cold War isn't that appealing and I haven't had any success attacking with a standard army once I scouted. Sad

After playing dozens of practice matches, a seemingly decent opening with FTA is a 2 soldier rush. Turn one: heavy cap, two soldiers towards their spawn. This will also give vision of whatever pops out. If nothing comes, reposition to hit the shell after it spawns and otherwise, play normally.

From the STL replays I've seen, early bombshell doesn't appear in every Peekaboo match. Hoping maybe it's just a phase I have to weather out. Thanks for all the help, guys!
08-23-2012, 03:06 AM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2012 03:06 AM by connor3491.)
I don't think bombshells come up so much that you have to switch races. It just come down to scouting..a lot of people deply them too early so they're vulnerable to attack
You just have to deal with them quickly