Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Advanced tactics
08-23-2012, 09:41 AM
RE: Advanced tactics
While we're on the subject of vision:

Sometimes you can get away with moves that would easily be countered if the opponent had more vision, but the fact that he can't get vision makes you safe.

Example: Foundry, he has a 3hp soldier in the middle of the map and a runner on his mid spawn space. You have just taken his middle wit space with a runner and have a sniper 4 spaces from his soldier that he doesn't have vision of. Now you can fairly safely move your sniper towards his soldier with the plan to kill it the next turn.
His optimal move would be to retake the wit space and kill your sniper. But he needs vision to realize this and he can't get vision if he wants to retake the wit space at the same time.

Soldier spam FTW
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-23-2012, 10:01 AM
(08-23-2012 09:41 AM)Alvendor Wrote:  Sometimes you can get away with moves that would easily be countered if the opponent had more vision...

I always have to laugh at myself, though, when I try this and get burned by a Lucky-*** guess on the part of my opponent...

Visit Outwitters, Analysis, and You! — an epic thread of Resource, Unit, and Map Analysis!
08-30-2012, 04:03 AM
Here is one example of a move that looks risky but is fairly safe in practice.

On the previous round the opponents only action was to create and move out with the runner for two wits.

So here I can create a sniper and move out without boosting it as there is no reasonable way for the opponent to get vision of it. It doesn't make sense for him to move forward with the runner or soldiers. The other risk is if he creates a runner and moves to get vision of the right half of map. But as he had at least 4 wits saved from previous round he will probably create something more expensive.

You could argue that you want to boost the sniper no matter what. But there are a few cases (maybe 15% I don't know..) when you don't need it. And for those cases you just saved a wit with this play.

Soldier spam FTW