Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
FTA Bonus on Highlevel Games means nearly Autowin
08-13-2012, 11:32 PM
RE: FTA Bonus on Highlevel Games means nearly Autowin
(08-13-2012 08:01 PM)Skaught2727 Wrote:  What about giving P2 one wit space already preselected. That way they can move one of their guys freely instead of wasting a space to grab it?

This was my suggestion a bit ago. I'm sure it would need some testing, but I love how it both gives P2 an extra wit to start and gives him more flexibility in responding to a rush, since he doesn't have to tie up a unit claiming that wit space.

As for how FTA affects high level games, I think it's most severe in maps where there is a high risk of starter snipers or medics getting killed on P1's second move ("turn 3" in game terms).

Glitch - P2 immediately has to worry about losing his medic to a runner.
Sharkfood Island - Medic immediately at risk.
Sweetie Plains - Sniper, medic, far wit space all at risk
Foundry - Medic, Sniper, "that rush"
Long Nine - Look out, sniper!
Peekaboo - Look out, medic!

There are ways to defend, of course, but it takes wits to scout and wits to respond. Like awpertunity says, this is where the metagaming mind games happen. If P1 does position himself to threaten the above units, P2 doing a defensive preparation pays off. But if P1 decides to do something completely different, P2 has given himself a lackluster start to fend off an attack that's not coming, giving P1 a stronger start. But P2 can't -not- do the defensive preparation, lest he fall prey to P1 doing the rush attack. Damned if you do, damned if you don't for P2.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FTA Bonus on Highlevel Games means nearly Autowin - wonderpug - 08-13-2012 11:32 PM