Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A probably stupid idea to remedy FTA
08-12-2012, 05:22 PM
A probably stupid idea to remedy FTA
Yes, I know that there are a lot of other threads about FTA but I didn't want my post to disappear in the vast majority of all those other posts.

Also, I know that we have no statistics for FTA actually existing yet, but lets pretend it does for now.

Here's an idea I got yesterday which I at first thought was quite stupid but which I have now started to take a liking to... So I would like to state it here so that you can all make me realize why it is stupid (which I am sure it is). Okay, so here it goes:

We let the set up for P1 be the same as it is now. But we give P2 one extra unit which is randomly chosen, for each game, to be either a runner, soldier or medic (any other unit would be to over powered, right?) and place this unit on a spot that is randomly chosen to be one of three (or four or something) predetermined spots.

The reasons why I start to like this is:
1. P2 wouldn't be as weak, unit-wise, relative to P1, as he often is now. But still, wouldn't be too strong.
2. It would make every match (a little) different.
3. P1 would be more hesitant to rush since he doesn't really know what is waiting for him.

And of course, you might have to tweak the random generator a bit so that, for instance: If the random unit is a medic, then choose the random spot for it as far away as possible from the already existing medic. And stuff like that.

So, why is this a really dumb idea? Let the bashing begin.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2012, 06:23 PM
RE: A probably stupid idea to remedy FTA
DISCLAIMER: THE FOLLOWING IS SIMPLY MY OPINION

I think the random chance to have one unit or another is a bad idea, because the difference between the utility of an extra Medic versus the power of an extra Soldier versus the scouting power of a Runner, especially on the smaller maps, is a huge advantage. I think it might be balanced to implement this on the three larger maps, but any space on the smaller maps, in my mind, gives too much of an advantage to the Runner.

That idea would also be a strong hindrance to any first-turn rush, but if P1 wanted to build up an army before attacking, FTA might be diminished enough for a STA to be a big determiner in the match outcome.

Just Saiyan...

———————————
Why is the rum gone?
08-13-2012, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2012 01:07 AM by CombatEX.)
Balance reasons aside (which others will probably bring up), I don't like it as a gameplay mechanic. It's the same reason I prefer Outwitters over Hero Academy. Both are good games but I prefer the minimized randomization of Outwitters to HA's unit randomness. Adding this kind of random element to Outwitters would be enough to make me stop playing. It would be like adding a die roll to chess at the beginning of each game which lets Black switch out a weaker piece for a stronger one based on the roll. It just goes against the basic idea of chess as a purely skill based game and the same is essentially true of Outwitters. Yes, FoW does bring in a little luck element, but you can always make calculated moves since you can predict your opponent's actions to a limited set of possibilities. Combined with good scouting, which top players should have, the 'luck' aspect is minimized and can be kept under control for the most part.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
08-13-2012, 11:41 AM
I don't particularly like the idea either, but I have to say that I think that the combination of fog of war, and a fixed placement of units, makes it much easier for P1 to setup a rush or some attack for turn 2. E.g. on Foundry where the Medic and Sniper are both in trouble early on.
08-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Tis sort of encourages Rushing and such. If you choose to go massing army or crazy special unit action, you will always be one unit behind. If you do decide to rush or violate FTA, you will get booted around due to this random unit somewhere that you don't know where or what it is.