Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Streak based rating is flawed
08-13-2012, 03:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2012 06:15 PM by connor3491.)
RE: Streak based rating is flawed
I do realize that. I'm actually second in my league now. I just still haven't even been given the opportunity to face opponents in the gifted league, which is weird bc I'm winning practically all my games.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2012, 03:24 PM
(08-11-2012 12:17 AM)oneadamleft Wrote:  Sorry the league is effing with you so hard. I'll bring this to Alex's attention. He is the god of leagues, who intimately knoweth how worketh the leagues.

You may have a point, or you may be experiencing some kind of anomaly we can patch.

Yeah, i as well as many others have had the sharp end of the sytem. I was upper Gifted then lost 3 games to Low masters and got booted to Clever.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cool One day, i will be Super-Titan! One day....
08-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Sorry to be a total noob, but what is hidden skill rating?
08-13-2012, 05:44 PM
(08-13-2012 03:48 PM)Fluffysox Wrote:  Sorry to be a total noob, but what is hidden skill rating?

The system represents your skill in some form (most likely a number) which expresses your skill relative to other players. That's a skill rating. Since it is not viewable to the mere user, it is hidden.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-13-2012, 11:26 PM (This post was last modified: 08-13-2012 11:40 PM by wonderpug.)
To illustrate, if you look at the first list of the top 100 players (based on the hidden skill ranking), I'm only #94 on that list even though I was first in my Super Titan division at the time. There were even a few players placed lower than me in my division who were far, far higher than me on the top 100 list.
08-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Having the same problem here. Have been ranked #1 and winning almost all games in Clever for a couple of weeks, but still have not been matched against anyone from the Gifted league to see if I can advance...
08-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Isn't it correct, that nobody knows the rules for promoting to the next higher league or demoting to another? Only the developers know the rule.

So, we cannot say: The rules are good or bad.

If it is bullsh... what I wrote in the first sentence, then please can anybody write down the rules :-) ?
08-16-2012, 07:53 PM
(08-16-2012 06:02 PM)MagElf Wrote:  Isn't it correct, that nobody knows the rules for promoting to the next higher league or demoting to another? Only the developers know the rule.

So, we cannot say: The rules are good or bad.

If it is bullsh... what I wrote in the first sentence, then please can anybody write down the rules :-) ?

Given that the whole rating system is heuristic, it would be quite difficult to summarize the whole decision process behind promotions/demotions even if you were the one writing the code.
And although we don't know the inner workings of the system, we can talk about the results and their quality. Like, even though you don't know how a printer works exactly, you can judge the quality of prints and compare them to other printer's results.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-16-2012, 10:56 PM
(08-16-2012 10:23 AM)RiotGrrl Wrote:  Having the same problem here. Have been ranked #1 and winning almost all games in Clever for a couple of weeks, but still have not been matched against anyone from the Gifted league to see if I can advance...

I won 9 games in a row (Clever league) and with each one I thought "this one is gonna move me to gifted league!". But, that was just wishful thinking. Smile
Anyway, I think there's no need for this algorithm to be public....
08-17-2012, 03:54 AM
(08-16-2012 10:56 PM)jetricakerempuh Wrote:  I won 9 games in a row (Clever league) and with each one I thought "this one is gonna move me to gifted league!". But, that was just wishful thinking. Smile

I was much the opposite... I was in Gifted immediately after placements, then lost one match and went to Clever. My promotion back p to Gifted was quite a shock to me.

I played a dozen or so games after reading "winning streaks can earn you a promotion to the next tier. Losing too much may result in the opposite." in the League section of Help, in-game, and assumed the wording was intentionally weighted towards "it's really not ever going to be quick or easy to jump between leagues" and was surprised when I got promoted.
Since then, I've been on a big winning streak of about 30 games, and only now am I starting to lose (about one game in 3-4) because I'm actually against competent opponents.
I certainly don't think I'm Master League stuff... Not until I stop wasting wits unnecessarily, anyways...

———————————
Why is the rum gone?