Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Counter to turtling
08-04-2012, 11:07 PM
RE: Counter to turtling
There are two responses to turtling:

1) Attack heavily on their weakest side (either a bonus square or a base flank). This could force them to readjust their army giving you a decisive advantage.
2) Turtle better than them. Trade punches efficiently and eventually you'll earn an advantage great enough to press them.

The greater the skill differential the more likely strategy 1) will work. Against a good player you just have to hope that you're slight skill advantage means you can trade punches for long enough to slowly win by attrition. A turtling match between two proficient players is a combination of a fascinating and excrutiatingly boring match, all at the same time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2012, 02:06 AM
(08-04-2012 03:21 AM)Syvan Wrote:  One last thing: I don't think Mobi's are good at breaking turtles. It is already expensive to operate a mobi, since you need to spend an extra wit to move things and attacking into the turtle is already expensive. I have a couple replays where I try to break a turtle with a mobi and it goes very, very badly. It is much more useful to use an alternate attack path with a mobi, since you can essentially re-form your army around the mobi while the defender needs to spend a bunch of wit to change position.

what if adorables were allowed to have 2 health snipers, 3 health from the start? This would make mobi snipers less likely to be one and done, because if you use a sniper against a wall of soldiers, it's basically dead next turn, even if you shield it with units. What do you guys think? There are definitely drawbacks, such as losing parity among teams.
08-05-2012, 03:04 AM
Well, I feel like a lot of problems would be solved by making soldiers less tank-y. It would make breaking the initial wall much more cost effective, since if you want to get at a turtled bombshell, you almost always have to open 2 hexes.

I think snipers have to max at 2 so a soldier can get them. Also, if only Adorables had 3 hp snipers, they would be super OP.