Poll: Have you ever played Hero Academy?
Yes - a lot
Yes - a little
No, never
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Have you ever played Hero Academy?
08-04-2012, 03:14 AM
RE: Have you ever played Hero Academy?
(08-04-2012 12:21 AM)ArtNJ Wrote:  Some people also like Neuroshima Hex, but that really seems more like an asynch board game from the look of it. Never tried it though and folks say it has a big strategy element to it.

+1 for Neuroshima Hex, great strategy game.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-04-2012, 06:04 AM
I agree with ArtNJ. HA is incredibly draining. I actually had to shut down for awhile becuase it was wearing me out. The drain makes for a very rewarding victory, but PAINFUL losses. I would start a new game and look at that empty board and think, "oh man, I have a long way to go". I like the quick hitting Outwitters matches. Having said that, I wouldn't mind a couple bigger maps for 2v2 to allow for a little more setup. My only concern with Outwitters is that, as Syvan eluded to, it eventually feels "solved". At the higher levels it may eventually become a set of P1 rush strategies vs the set of P2 defense and counters, the game hinging on the first slip or the P1 edge.
08-04-2012, 07:06 AM
I don't start HA games since seveal weeks and only end my running one.

Main reason is that I got tired play against random opponents. Even I reinvite skilled players it still a hazzle. Also the fact ranking is only based on total wins which seems total stupid Wink

When I reach 100 matches I won around 98 of them and was not even top 20% because of this "total-wins"-stupidness.
08-04-2012, 07:12 AM
(08-04-2012 07:06 AM)calmon Wrote:  I don't start HA games since seveal weeks and only end my running one.

Main reason is that I got tired play against random opponents. Even I reinvite skilled players it still a hazzle. Also the fact ranking is only based on total wins which seems total stupid Wink

When I reach 100 matches I won around 98 of them and was not even top 20% because of this "total-wins"-stupidness.

You know there is a player run league right? I founded it. There are like 20 guys from the player run league playing Outwitters to one degree or another (I advertised Outwitters), including the current #1 ranked Outwitters player. So there is a challenge available to you if you want it. Robotentertainmentfans.com.

Its a great league. Crappy looking web site and forums, but the database runs great and once you spend 5 minutes reading the rules, the League stuff pretty much drops out and you just play quality opponents.
08-04-2012, 07:23 AM
(08-04-2012 07:12 AM)ArtNJ Wrote:  
(08-04-2012 07:06 AM)calmon Wrote:  I don't start HA games since seveal weeks and only end my running one.

You know there is a player run league right? I founded it. There are like 20 guys from the player run league playing Outwitters to one degree or another (I advertised Outwitters), including the current #1 ranked Outwitters player. So there is a challenge available to you if you want it. Robotentertainmentfans.com.

Its a great league. Crappy looking web site and forums, but the database runs great and once you spend 5 minutes reading the rules, the League stuff pretty much drops out and you just play quality opponents.

Nope didn't know! If its good I go for some more games Smile
08-04-2012, 07:48 AM
I love Hero Academy, they just need a better matchmaking system. Much respect to ArtNJ for his League setup, but I've actually failed to update a lot of my matches on there just because of inconvenience.

Neuroshima Hex is a lot of fun too, but I got it just before Outwitters so it's gathering virtual dust. I don't have an iPad yet so Summoner Wars didn't grab me. It's not well adapted to the iPhone. I'm looking forward to trying RAD Soldiers though!
08-04-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm a longtime player of Hero Academy, who's just barely started playing Outwitters. Right now I keep having to remind myself that 'different is not bad': "No undo? Fog of war? But that's...that's...DIFFERENT!"

Once I get those knee-jerk reactions under control, this game looks like it'll be a lot of fun.
08-04-2012, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2012 09:32 AM by ArtNJ.)
(08-04-2012 07:23 AM)calmon Wrote:  Nope didn't know! If its good I go for some more games Smile

ELO based, 6500 games played, 810 members! 30 seconds to sign up, wait for admittance, 5-10 minutes to read the rules and update your matchmaking profile, and then 15 seconds when you have a win to post. Respect to Solrek, he isnt alone in his views, but to me, the 15 seconds to post the win is not such a big deal in exchange for an ELO based leaderboard with full stat tracking, correction for the first turn advantage, basically the full package. Because we are ELO based, it doesnt take long to get into the top 10 -- #4ish is 24-2 (incredible run against the very best in his last 12 games or so).

Activity is down, but we still play 125 games a week or so. So yeah, I'd say its good Smile

Like I said, it isnt pretty, but dont judge till you get a chance to look around in the database and leaderboard.
08-04-2012, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2012 09:52 AM by worldfamous.)

You won't have the problem of winning 98/100 in the league. I thought I was the worlds best HA player until I joined the league. It's basically a Super Titan league for HA. I actually only played a few matches and then I shut down for a while. I plan to get back on soon, when TF2 team arrives. The competition is stiff. I was playing the 65th ranked player and having a rough time.

(08-04-2012 09:23 AM)Anyr Wrote:  I'm a longtime player of Hero Academy, who's just barely started playing Outwitters. Right now I keep having to remind myself that 'different is not bad': "No undo? Fog of war? But that's...that's...DIFFERENT!"

Once I get those knee-jerk reactions under control, this game looks like it'll be a lot of fun.
I felt the same way at first. In 5 minutes I had made up my mind that OML just didn't know turn based strategy. I'm thick headed like that, but I stuck it out and now I have 20 games running at all times. Excellent game. I could pretty much flip a coin between HA and Outwitters.
08-04-2012, 11:20 AM
HA confused the heck out of me, and I thought the square board was visually boring. Sounds like a neat game, just didn't feel like investing the time to get into it. I 'got' outwitters right away, but still learn something every game. And on a different note, I much prefer vertical vs horizontal games on an iPhone...

Proud member of Anonymous clan
Master League 1x1, occasionally top 200
Master League 2x2 w Ryzuma