Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To boost or not to boost, that is the question.
07-24-2012, 11:42 AM
To boost or not to boost, that is the question.
What would you prefer?
Two 4health soldiers or Three 3health soldiers?
Four 5health Heavys or Five 4health heavies?
Two 1health runners or One 2health Runner?
Three 2health snipers or Four 1health sniper?

-----

But the above of course ignores the cost to moving units off the spawn, so let's add one movement cost to each unit:

Three 4health soldiers or Four 3health soldiers?
Five 5health heavies or Six 4health heavies?
Three 1health runners or Two 2health runners?
Four 2health snipers or Five 1health sniper?

------

A lot depends on what you're doing. If you're close to your spawn point, there is little wit cost due to movement, and it might be better to spam unboosted units. Four soldiers can deal 8 damage and if the opponent is using only soldiers takes the exact same number of attacks to kill.

If you're launching an attack across the board, one wit to boost a unit isn't that much more. But of course wits are that much more precious in that case, too.

Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-24-2012, 11:58 AM
RE: To boost or not to boost, that is the question.
It's very situational, which was probably their intent - it's a more strategic game is there's no one right answer to the question.

Runners: in a runner v. Runner battle - e.g. the top of Long Nine - boost, because it's a decisive advantage against other runners. When spamming their base, don't boost, because it only takes one hit from a bigger unit to kill anyway.

Soldiers: I tend to boost, because there's usually a heavy or a sniper around and not being a one-hit kill is good. But if you're the attacker, yea, four unboosted can kill two out of three boosted; vis versa three boosted will only kill one out of four unboosted. A mix of boosted soldiers + unboosted runners works well, especially if you can arrange it that the runners take the counterattack first.

Heavies: The main reason not to boost a heavy is that you've already spent almost all your wits that turn making it and moving it off your base. But on defense having something that can't be killed by two soldiers is awesome, and having more instead isn't quite the same given their limited mobility.
07-24-2012, 10:02 PM
Depends on your opponents army comp, scout them out and counter appropriately.
07-24-2012, 11:08 PM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2012 11:10 PM by Magnum.)
It depends on your opponent army, like aaron said.

But a good idea would be to always boost the Sniper, which is very vulnerable with just 1 health. Can be easily beaten by a runner, so...

Game Center ID : 27 Pastore.
1v1 : Gifted
I'm up for friendly games to get better Tongue
07-25-2012, 12:06 AM
Yeah I always tend to boost my snipers because runners destroy them if they are not boosted. I tend to boost units who I leave to defend my base in preparation for the first attack from my opponent while I build my main offense all while harassing and scouting with runners.
07-25-2012, 02:54 AM
If your army is made up of mostly soldiers and heavys (Damage Takers), id hold off on the healing and focus on engaging my opponent whilst i make my push.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cool One day, i will be Super-Titan! One day....