Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Retaining Cohesive Strategy in multi-day asynchronous games
07-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Retaining Cohesive Strategy in multi-day asynchronous games
I often forget what strategy I decided to implement when a game lasts multiple days, especially when both me and the other player take a long time between turns.

Anyone have any good techniques for remembering their strategic plan over multiple days.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-21-2012, 06:14 PM
RE: Retaining Cohesive Strategy in multi-day asynchronous games
The replay button that is dangerously close to the give up button is there at your service.
07-22-2012, 02:16 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 02:16 AM by CombatEX.)
The replay button while helpful doesn't address nivra's problem, namely, forgetting what strategies s/he came up with. The only thing I can suggest is writing them down. Not much else you can do about it. I don't think it's really a problem coming up with a move again though.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
07-22-2012, 02:48 AM
Strategy, not move.

Sometimes I want to setup a bombshell up top and plan on a runner blitz on the bottom. I then buy a runner at the bottom and a soldier up top. Then, two days later I forget and buy a soldier at the bottom and a runner up top. Oops... Incoherent strategy.
07-22-2012, 05:04 AM
I keep a log going in the notes app for each game I'm playing, including an estimate of how many wits my opponent has. If it get high, then I know they've probably built something I can't see.
07-22-2012, 06:40 AM
(07-22-2012 02:48 AM)nivra0 Wrote:  Strategy, not move.

Sometimes I want to setup a bombshell up top and plan on a runner blitz on the bottom. I then buy a runner at the bottom and a soldier up top. Then, two days later I forget and buy a soldier at the bottom and a runner up top. Oops... Incoherent strategy.

Usually if you are going for the best possible response, viewing the replay again means you are back on square 1 and you will come up with the idea again. I dont know if it works, because I like to have less than 10 games running.
07-22-2012, 07:10 AM
Maybe they could build a notes function right into outwitters? Then, if you left a note for yourself, it would pop up when you loaded the game.
07-22-2012, 10:50 AM
(07-22-2012 02:48 AM)nivra0 Wrote:  Strategy, not move.

I mispoke, but anyway it makes no difference...

Strategy, move, same thing as far as my post goes which was suggesting you write it down =/

Yea, it's not ideal so I'd like to hear what other people have to say about it, but for now that's all I can think of and it should work fine despite being a bit cumbersome.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
07-24-2012, 01:37 AM
(07-22-2012 05:04 AM)Glorishears Wrote:  I keep a log going in the notes app for each game I'm playing, including an estimate of how many wits my opponent has. If it get high, then I know they've probably built something I can't see.
Seems a bit much, but hey, your probably doing better than me!Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cool One day, i will be Super-Titan! One day....
07-24-2012, 06:32 AM
Ever since the Civilization 2 days I've wanted my strategy games to let me draw on the screen to write out my plans when I stop a session. The replay feature of course helps a lot, but more than a few times I've only realized at the end of a turn that I had actually set myself up for something else much more exotic and game-winning. C'est la vie.