Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New Forum Feedback thread.
10-17-2014, 06:54 AM
RE: New Forum Feedback thread.
Upon further inspection, GG already addressed this.

(10-17-2014 04:57 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  One item which may have been already mentioned is that replay links don't appear to be synced with Outwitters Sports Network. Harti wrote the script that did this I believe? I wonder if it could be easily ported.

I represent all leagues. Except Diamond League.
Super-Titan w/AlliDooisRush (#19)
Master League 1v1 (#141), 2v2 random (#44), w/Chemoeum (#33), w/SanDiego2 (#112)
gifted w/FrozenNorthernKid (IA)
clever w/jaksd, w/LegacyofEight
fluffy w/jbadams01 (ded)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2014, 07:50 AM
(10-17-2014 06:54 AM)baustin42 Wrote:  Upon further inspection, GG already addressed this.

(10-17-2014 04:57 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  One item which may have been already mentioned is that replay links don't appear to be synced with Outwitters Sports Network. Harti wrote the script that did this I believe? I wonder if it could be easily ported.

Psssh.

(10-16-2014 04:03 AM)TheGreatErenan Wrote:  I suppose we will need a new script to auto-convert replays into the super cool buttons that we get on this forum?

Myself, I am pro Discourse. This thing has a lot of really cool features. List. I especially like the auto-saving of posts you're still writing. Ever had one of those moments where you wrote a long post and then lost the whole thing because of a browser error or something? Probably not, because most people in this community don't write long posts. But I do! And I have been foiled in my community involvement efforts in the past because of technical problems! Well, that's not going to happen at Discourse.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2014, 07:59 AM
I prefer myBB too, for all the reasons stated above. Also, I just like the style of myBB better than that of Discourse. It's more orderly and easy to read. Everything pretty much looks the same in Discourse.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

[Image: sig.png]
10-17-2014, 09:42 AM
(10-17-2014 05:35 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  
(10-17-2014 05:00 AM)[PETA] Doodat Wrote:  I don't see how it's easier for mobile users. It feels much easier to navigate here.

easier or familiar? Even on an iphone 6 i can't navigate our current forums reliably w/o constant screen zooming, which slows me down to getting where I want to go: an actual thread.

I don't have a problem with constant screen zooming. It's still a two-finger thing and it's easy to get to the last post by clicking the little green arrow right next to a thread. I could get used to Discourse, but I definitely feel better, whether it be familiarity or not, with myBB

Doowhat? Doodat? Okey:3

1v1 Super-Titan - Peak #32 // Current #56 as AlliDooisRush
2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
2v2 Master League - w/baustin #17 // w/Juslas #85 // Randoms #38
10-17-2014, 12:48 PM
As long as we get the super cool buttons for replay links than I will adapt to a new forum. Hopefully this weekend I can find some time to do some thorough snooping. I haven't even found the time to retrieve my password for the new forum from my email yet. Big Grin

[PETA] Cor13:4 Wrote:Mobi killed the Scallywag star,
He hit him on the base with his sniper from afar,
He tried to block the alley, but didn't get far,
That's how the Mobi killed the Scallywag star

Best Feedback rank (TGH) 3rd
Best Adorables rank (-DF-) 12th
Best Scallywags rank (-TAM-) 25th
10-17-2014, 02:20 PM
I have a cooler avatar on the new forum

Once a Wolfpack, always a Wolfpack
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-20-2014, 02:59 AM
I dislike Discourse. It's too unstructured and difficult to navigate. I understand the idea, but personally I have a hard time following the flow of information.

My routine is to check the main page, see which forums have new threads (mostly ignore Poppycock and TTL), then dig into OW and DL posts. This process seems more difficult in Discourse (I'm not saying impossible, just more work).

Also, with the "conversation" style of threads, I believe structured threads (tournaments, guides, etc) will become more difficult to maintain and organize.

I hate to say it, but I think if OML made the switch and I couldn't learn to like it within a few weeks, I might visit the forums less and less due to its difficult nature. That's a shame, really, because I love these forums and chatting with everyone.
(10-17-2014 05:35 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  
(10-17-2014 05:00 AM)[PETA] Doodat Wrote:  I don't see how it's easier for mobile users. It feels much easier to navigate here.

easier or familiar? Even on an iphone 6 i can't navigate our current forums reliably w/o constant screen zooming, which slows me down to getting where I want to go: an actual thread.

I disagree. I think the mobile aspect of it is off-putting.

With Discourse, you have to filter by category, then scroll through a list of single phrase headings to find what you want (no author, no timestamp, no post count). Then once you're in the "conversation" it's also difficult to easily navigate.

With the current forums, I enjoy being able to zoom in and out - it lets me quickly get an overview but also see the details that I find important.

(I haven't played with any account settings, so correct me if anything I say can be fixed with preferences.)

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
10-20-2014, 03:07 AM
I always access these forums via computer, so mobile issues aren't a concern to me, but Memories just put what I was thinking in words: That organized threads are really difficult. And by just looking at the tourney threads, I can see how much of a problem that will be.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

10-20-2014, 03:53 AM
Gotta agree with Memories on a lot of points.
Though, I do see the benefits of the new environment, especially for OML (as it's quite similar to a ticketing system and therefore easy to follow the stream of information) and casual forum visitors.

Well, basically for "clan only" checking we could always use bookmarks to quickly see what's happening. I don't see that as much of an issue.

I myself claimed that forums are dead (in other places) and that the new way to go are social networks or similar structures, so I'm like really on the fence. I don't despise change (I liked Alex' question "easier or familiar?" in that regard) - on the contrary: I consider change a chance.
I just wish there was an easy way to write a bridge that fed posts into both databases, and then just let the users visit whatever forum they wanted.

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

10-20-2014, 07:19 AM
I have to admit that despising change is part of the reason why I'm resistant, but also that I've tried NP forums and I like the structure of OML forums a lot better.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat