Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Turtling Discussion
08-04-2012, 01:53 AM (This post was last modified: 08-04-2012 01:56 AM by ArtNJ.)
RE: Turtling Discussion
Just going to be blunt here Steve, since we are teammates and I think you can take it. Turn 4 was very poor, made worse by building and saccing another runner immediately thereafter (your third runner in 3 turns of buys). You are already losing.

Your opponent isnt turtling -- you are giving him the unit count advantage! There is only one spawn on this map, and you cant just keep building and saccing runners, get very behind on the unit count, and expect to win.

I didnt get much further than that because the opening play was fairly poor and needs improvement. There might be genuine turtling going on later.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2014, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2014 11:49 AM by Rayquashazam.)
One of my favorite strategies is to rush strong units towards the exposed regions of my base and other vulnerable spots especially as P2 since they have the perfect positional advantage to prep a rush. This often involves an early sniper spawn, which soldiers can jump over to block the weak spots. This is super effective in the War Garden, as the below link proves.Wink

outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAnpTV8QkM

Another idea I like to try to utilize is to make a full line of soldiers to block the opponent's view- starting with spawn and stretching to the weakpoints. Then I build up an army behind it, making constant scouting / rushing bouts with a few soldiers and scouts. This is to be fair, and to see more than 3 hexes away. It's also a good way to make 2 armies and strike two spots at the same time- a tricky situation, as it can cripple the opponent's wit funding, if not unit spawn rate. It can look turtlish because of the soldier screen, but I don't prefer turtling because I get paranoid about the enemy being behind the shadows. Blush
08-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Oh wow this thread is older than my forum membership. Not many of those.

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'
09-22-2014, 08:42 PM
(08-29-2014 02:39 PM)Demon Wrote:  Oh wow this thread is older than my forum membership. Not many of those.

True that.

I think there should be a distinction between building forces and turtles. On SFI you can spend the first 8 turns building forces, which is about as much as you need for a decisive push to your adv.

Up for Friendliez! Gifted League GCID: braytos
[Image: sig.png]