Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a Bug? : I was enrolled to two leagues simultaneously
09-05-2014, 12:56 PM
RE: a Bug? : I was enrolled to two leagues simultaneously
(09-05-2014 11:15 AM)The Great Habudabi Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 10:11 AM)Flarp55 Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 02:21 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 09:22 AM)Flarp55 Wrote:  I think the ranking system needs to be totally redone.

What are the issues you see with it?
There's the division vs hidden ranking problem as well.

There's nothing wrong with this. Those that are the best deserve to be recognized in the top 200 list regardless of whether they play a large volume of games, and those that play a large volume of games but aren't the best deserve recognition for their efforts in the form of division ranking.

There should be some sort of minimum activity requirement for the top 200 list, since a lot of the top players almost never play league games anymore, probably because they are afraid to lose and drop in the rankings.
This would also solve the matchmaking problem for the top 20 or so players. Maybe you would not be getting matched against clever league players if any other top players actually still played.

GC: -PasswordisTaco-
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2014, 03:01 PM (This post was last modified: 09-05-2014 03:03 PM by Flarp55.)
(09-05-2014 12:37 PM)awpertunity Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 10:11 AM)Flarp55 Wrote:  
(09-05-2014 02:21 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 09:22 AM)Flarp55 Wrote:  I think the ranking system needs to be totally redone.

What are the issues you see with it?

Well, promotion after loss/demotion after win should clearly never happen. If someone were doing well/badly enough to be promoted/demoted, they should have been promoted/demoted the game before.

That's a very naive way of thinking about it. We have no idea what kind of algorithm they are using so this really doesn't have a basis. There could be two numbers for each player not just the hidden rating but also a confidence in that rating or something. The more you win in a row, the confidence in your placement is decreasing because the game wants to make you go 50-50. When you finally lose a game, the confidence in your actual rating can go up, causing it to actually place you in the division above, because it was unsure of the skill rating it had before before.

Does that mean that if you (hypothetically) won every single game, then it would be justified to never promote you?

I'd argue that an algorithm based on "confidence" like that would be a bad algorithm precisely because it causes loss-promotions and win-demotions.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

[Image: sig.png]
09-05-2014, 06:41 PM
I don't see the problem in being promoted after a loss or being demoted after a win as long as your hidden ranking says you deserve it. What matters is the finality, not the mean Rolleyes

And I don't see alex programming a new algorithm just for the promotion system to be slighty more logical, to be honest.

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

09-06-2014, 01:37 AM
And besides, perhaps the person got bumped from that league, and so whichever game was finished next for you, you would get promoted because of that other person's loss, you automatically are in the next league, you just had to finish a game for it to tell you that you got promoted. And it just happens that you lost that game you got promoted on.

It's not that hard to believe. Just realize there are more players than you getting promoted/demoted. There are a lot more players than there are on the forums.

GC: TheGreatAnt
09-06-2014, 03:31 AM (This post was last modified: 09-06-2014 03:32 AM by onealexleft.)
(09-05-2014 12:56 PM)ggggggggkkkkkk Wrote:  There should be some sort of minimum activity requirement for the top 200 list, since a lot of the top players almost never play league games anymore, probably because they are afraid to lose and drop in the rankings.
This would also solve the matchmaking problem for the top 20 or so players. Maybe you would not be getting matched against clever league players if any other top players actually still played.

I may look into the minimum activity requirement for top 200 so that it's more reflective of the 'current' top players, rather than those that simply login and play a custom game or two once every couple weeks.

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan
09-06-2014, 03:07 PM
(09-06-2014 01:37 AM)TheGreatAnt Wrote:  And besides, perhaps the person got bumped from that league, and so whichever game was finished next for you, you would get promoted because of that other person's loss, you automatically are in the next league, you just had to finish a game for it to tell you that you got promoted. And it just happens that you lost that game you got promoted on.

It's not that hard to believe. Just realize there are more players than you getting promoted/demoted. There are a lot more players than there are on the forums.

Oh right. I forgot about that. Opening slots. oops

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat