Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How to become good at Outwitters and Life part 1
06-09-2014, 09:40 AM
RE: How to become good at Outwitters and Life part 1
(06-09-2014 08:35 AM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 07:41 AM)Alvendor Wrote:  
(06-09-2014 07:01 AM)HuskyPete Wrote:  Nice start!! Very well done. I have made the comment of this becoming work many times myself. It makes absolute 100% sense!!

Thanks, yeah I like much about Outwitters, but the part of concentrating really hard on a move is not really enjoyable in itself. Maybe similar to long distance running or something: a constant pain but feels good when your done!

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy the process of thinking hard about a move. I play outwitters just for fun.

I enjoy thinking about moves too. Otherwise I'm sure I wouldn't play. I guess I am thinking of highest level play and counting wits. This can be like a second job.

[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2014, 09:55 AM
How much thinking is there when you're just turtling! Tongue

06-09-2014, 10:57 AM
Nice guide Alvendor. I especially like the part about rank.

Once a Wolfpack, always a Wolfpack
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-09-2014, 11:15 AM
(06-09-2014 09:55 AM)lawtai Wrote:  How much thinking is there when you're just turtling! Tongue

yeah, i posted that with mainly the mindful massacre tourney in mind. that one made me think a lot. remember my game with you?

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

06-10-2014, 12:59 AM
This is really cool. I'm definitely keeping an eye out for future parts, as my game is fairly mediocre.

I totally understand the 2v2 thing as well. There are things like turn order, your partner's unit/wit count, 2-race strategies that you don't see in 1v1. It's kind of weird because I'm much better at 2v2 than 1v1 haha.

Keep up the good work!

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'
06-10-2014, 05:26 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2014 05:32 AM by Alvendor.)
(06-09-2014 08:26 AM)Necrocat219 Wrote:  This sounds like its going to turn out really good, and I don't do quite a few of the things listed here like I don't reflect on why I lost enough (or more how to prevent those losses in future) and I'm a bit too result orientated at the moment. Maybe that's why burnouts seem to happen. Looking forward to future parts!

You still seem pretty process oriented to me. I'm thinking about the post you made about gaming the ranking system as a distraction and the wit efficiency thread

(06-09-2014 08:35 AM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy the process of thinking hard about a move. I play outwitters just for fun.

I envy you! I really enjoy when a set of moves I've planned works out, when I'm learning new things, and just winning is also a nice =)

But concentrating hard on one specific move against a great opponent... well I can't say it is a pleasant feeling in itself for me

Soldier spam FTW
06-10-2014, 06:31 AM
(06-10-2014 05:26 AM)Alvendor Wrote:  But concentrating hard on one specific move against a great opponent... well I can't say it is a pleasant feeling in itself for me
so touching. every click of "done" is such a big relief.

Fluffy League
06-10-2014, 08:21 PM
(06-10-2014 06:31 AM)His_Daddy Wrote:  
(06-10-2014 05:26 AM)Alvendor Wrote:  But concentrating hard on one specific move against a great opponent... well I can't say it is a pleasant feeling in itself for me
so touching. every click of "done" is such a big relief.

+1 from me, the game loses its charm at the highest level. Thinking about a move for 12 hours+ is a big investment.

Another thing matching against a lot of the same opponents makes the game stale, I wish the matching system had a wider range for matching players.

Great article Alvendor! I enjoyed it and it will help anyone who takes it to heart :-)

I hope there's Outwitters2 in the future.
06-11-2014, 11:18 PM
(06-10-2014 08:21 PM)blckace Wrote:  Another thing matching against a lot of the same opponents makes the game stale, I wish the matching system had a wider range for matching players.

I'd second this - I would guess that this is likely a server-side change to code - not sure if that makes it easier to do (perhaps ??)

Having a wider range in the matching would really help to keep things fresh.

For players moving up the chance to match against higher ranked people - I still remember the buzz I felt when I got matched against my first ST.

For those near the top the chance to play against a variety of new players with different ideas and variations to their games

Super-Titan Top 200: #5
GCID: ===Torbreck===
King of the Hill
06-12-2014, 08:32 PM
Thanks, yeah I see what you mean. Mmm I am, I remember I was very in my first year of playing and slowly getting better. I think now though that's worn off a little. Although I've definitely learnt stuff in the last few months that are vital (like the three main races are all very viable, not just adorables) and kinda army management, getting the turn to attack right, it's slowed a lot.

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?