Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Rising in the Rankings
05-30-2014, 07:32 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014 09:19 AM by SuperDonkey.)
Rising in the Rankings
In case you're interested in overt vs. hidden rankings, getting promoted/demoted, reaching SuperTitan, and other such things...

Up until now, I don't think it's been possible to observe the entire "life cycle" of a SuperTitan. However, I've created a top-tier ST [edited at flarp55's request...]. In any case, you can now go to OSN and observe several accounts reach SuperTitan and then either fall off again (in the case of TheWrathOfNikademus and PlutosMenagerie) or not (in the case of WeJusPlayin and ImperialProbeDroid). Plus, in some cases, you can also observe the entire history of everyone who these accounts have played against. I'm also interested in where they'll end up in the top 100, which is based on the so-called hidden ranking. Just how far behind LER4T are we? Does winning 50-something games in a row against SuperTitans even get you close?

Incidentally, this also points up some problems with the matching system :) It's quite possible to take advantage of it in multiple ways. I would recommend the following fixes:
--If you are creating the first game in the queue (i.e. there are no games available around your ranking), you should be assigned to second player 50% of the time. Granted, getting second player means you can't move immediately, but that seems a minor problem. I've noticed some people like to queue up a ton of first-player games, which explains why I always got second player when I was playing less than 1 game per week.
--Create a small penalty to ranking for quitting [edited at flarp55's request...].
--Cap the number of league games you can play at one time against a given opponent.

And my apologies to amoffett11, whom I bumped; but I'm guessing WeJusPlayin isn't a permanent fixture there.

--SD
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2014, 10:40 PM
RE: Rising in the Rankings
You fabricated STs?!?! I'm so impressed I ain't even mad.

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'
05-30-2014, 10:51 PM
I was little annoyed with this post, and that was even before I got to the end.

It might just be me, but this seems a little unethical/unsportsmanlike. I don't get it; you've gamed the system in order to show that it can be gamed? What's really happening is that you're bumping down people in the division, and later in the top 200, who have earned their spot.

Does anyone actually care if all these wins allow you to pass LER4T? No, because if you actually do pass him, it will be a shame that he's knocked off because of this.

The more I think about this, I consider this to be cheating, nothing more and nothing less. Looking at OSN, you haven't even beaten one real person. The fact that you've come on here and explained that you did all this for educational purposes or whatever changes nothing; this is cheating. Yes, this was possible before. But in almost 2 years of this game, no one has done it, because the rest of the Outwitters community has respect for this game.

I hope that either

A) you game these accounts right back down. I was thinking that you could just start a bunch of games against actual other people and then just give them up, but then you're gaming other players up and that just creates more problems

B) all these accounts just get deleted.

GC name: amoffett11
1v1 Super-Titan
2v2 with .Memories. and 2v2 random Master League

Until you stalk and overrun you can't devour anyone
05-30-2014, 11:13 PM
I believe this was an experiment to A) discover what it takes to move up and B) find issues in the current system.

I don't think he intends to leave those accounts where they are.

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'
05-30-2014, 11:15 PM
I wouldn't agree of the method went about conducting this experiment. I think collecting data from multiple people like phineas did would have served the purpose, even if it was less accurate and/or took much longer.

Doowhat? Doodat? Okey:3

1v1 Super-Titan - Peak #32 // Current #56 as AlliDooisRush
2v2 - w/jesusfuentesh #7
2v2 Master League - w/baustin #17 // w/Juslas #85 // Randoms #38
05-30-2014, 11:22 PM
If all he wanted to do was discover what it takes to move up, other people have already done that with alternate accounts that they actually played with.

http://www.onemanleft.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2207

Also, matchmaking issues have already been discussed, with nothing new that you've pointed out.

There was really no point in gaming the system like you did other than to mess with the experiences of others.

[Image: sig.png]
05-31-2014, 12:49 AM
Yeah this is clearly cheating. Accounts should be deleted. Many of us at all ranks are just scrapping to hold on to ST or Masters or Gifted division. To get highly ranked without beating anyone is clearly cheating.

05-31-2014, 12:50 AM
Lol so basically you got an account to ST playing only ur other accounts?
But didn't thay have to play random players to get the points to feed ur account you were playing with ur self? (Pun intended laugh it's ok to laugh!)
Or am I missing somthing?

Wouldn't it be far easier to just play the random players than to make 5+accounts to feed 1?

I went on and 18-game winning streak from unranked on my iPod just playing at work and it busted top 200 last week I'm willing to bet with that info if some one can go 54ish games give or take a few without losing in random thay can easily bust ST mabe even top 20

I would love to see a top 10-20 player make an alt then bring it to ST undefeated i couldn't do it Sad
And it wouldn't be an easy task (without having multi-accounts like you did) the some of the upper gifted and master players play like there super titans haha

The info I want to know I guess in my babbling is
Say I have 2 accounts
One account was my 1st account and I went from fluffy to masters with we had good times i won i lost it has about a 30-40% lose rate or w/e say I tanked my rating on this account to fluffy so I could join a fluffy tournament then after the tournament I won 18games in a row would this account get shot to top 200 like a new account would if it played the exact same ppl? Or is there an Elo rating system that would make me grind 30-40 or even 50+ games to climb back simply cuz I have a higher lose % than a new account would ?

You can rip the wings and the horn off a Mobi and try to force it to be a normal whale..But deep down the the Mobi will always be a mobi and you can never hide the scabs Never let anyone try to force you to change!
05-31-2014, 01:25 AM
(05-30-2014 10:51 PM)amoffett11 Wrote:  I was little annoyed with this post, and that was even before I got to the end.

It might just be me, but this seems a little unethical/unsportsmanlike. I don't get it; you've gamed the system in order to show that it can be gamed? What's really happening is that you're bumping down people in the division, and later in the top 200, who have earned their spot.

Does anyone actually care if all these wins allow you to pass LER4T? No, because if you actually do pass him, it will be a shame that he's knocked off because of this.

The more I think about this, I consider this to be cheating, nothing more and nothing less. Looking at OSN, you haven't even beaten one real person. The fact that you've come on here and explained that you did all this for educational purposes or whatever changes nothing; this is cheating. Yes, this was possible before. But in almost 2 years of this game, no one has done it, because the rest of the Outwitters community has respect for this game.

I hope that either

A) you game these accounts right back down. I was thinking that you could just start a bunch of games against actual other people and then just give them up, but then you're gaming other players up and that just creates more problems

B) all these accounts just get deleted.

I think that the point of this wasn't to actually go high in the rankings, but to show that it can be done. It can sometimes take an incident like this to really cause this. It's kind of like incidents when hackers release a bunch of information to show weaknesses in systems. Maybe the matchup system will really be changed now. Everyone knew the system could be gamed, but it took something like this to show just how big the flaw is. I'm sure he intends to delete these accounts. If not, then it really would be unsportsmanlike. A&A should delete these accounts to prevent further bumping, but I think the record on OSN should stay.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

05-31-2014, 01:41 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 01:49 AM by [PETA] Cor13:4.)
I don't know, I kinda find it annoying that these games will also throw off the OSN statistics. Now that we have all the games recorded we were able to start doing some good analysis, but suddenly he inserts dozens of fake games that will throw off every statistic.

He doesn't have to derank his accounts if he wants them to drop off the list. All he has to do is cancel any games he has going and take no turns for a week or two and they will drop off automatically from the list.

"Love is patient, love is kind....It does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1st Corinthians 13:4