Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Some unexpected ladder shifts may happen over the next few days
07-16-2012, 01:07 AM
RE: Some unexpected ladder shifts may happen over the next few days
(07-16-2012 12:50 AM)RockinBabyRo Wrote:  Demotion or loss of rank on a win is unacceptable - no matter how misplaced the combatant is.

Perhaps you can placate the masses by having a "season" that will end sometime in the future and, with your polished new algorithm, have everyone redo their placement. (And maybe the league winners will get some token for their awesomeness, like a small flag on all their future bases ... or a "lifetime wins" category, or something... you know what I mean.)

I suggest this because in a single loss, I fell from mid-Master to low-Clever (70th). Now, I don't mind having to battle my way back up to where I truly belong, but at this rate of increase (~10 places per win), I could save myself 20+ games by just creating a new GC userID ... and that's *if* I don't lose.......Undecided

I hear your point and can sympathise with you, however this had to be done in order to grant every user appropriate experience: You usually get paired to people among your league because people from your league are suspected to have approximately the same skill rating as you do.
With weaker people around the higher leagues, it gets especially frustrating both for you and them; you don't have much fun playing somebody into the ground within 10 turns and neither do they get a feeling of accomplishment from that.

If bad people got paired to bad people, only one of them would get demoted afterwards (only the one to lose). If bad people got paired to people doing their placements, they would probably win and not get demoted as well. All that would cause these people to stick around even longer.

I've seen that demotion behavior after a win before and found it highly confusing as well, rather considered it a bug than intended behavior. Anyway I'll still defend OML's solution as it's probably the quickest. They could have put all people to make 1 placement match once again but that would have annoyed a lot of guys I think.

A post on why getting demoted upon winning (or promoted upon losing) isn't rubbish

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some unexpected ladder shifts may happen over the next few days - Harti - 07-16-2012 01:07 AM