Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.75 Average
Some unexpected ladder shifts may happen over the next few days
07-17-2012, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2012 06:19 PM by calmon.)
RE: Some unexpected ladder shifts may happen over the next few days
I just got promoted to titan league which is a great Smile

The strange thing is that I went streight from 1st rank master league to 1st rank titan league, still have the >600 points from master league and my titan division is filled with people having far less than 100 points, even one with 0 points.

Is this normal? I know there is no direct correlation between points and promotion but I still wonder.

Edit: Meanwhile I'm 4th because other players ump in. But still from 7th rank on players under 200 points. Here my updated division:

http://www.onemanleft.com/forums/showthr...93#pid4193
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-17-2012, 09:48 AM
Promoted to masters!
07-17-2012, 10:06 AM
(07-17-2012 09:55 AM)mkaen Wrote:  
(07-17-2012 08:45 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  This ladder shift affected about 3% of the player population (even less because I was only focusing on 1v1). Of that 3%, there is the possibility of a small subset being on the borderline of "needing a reset vs in the clear" skill-rating wise that might've fell on the wrong side of that. Sorry to those people effected.

Thanks for the update.

So double-demotions for people with 95% win rate in ST were intended?

95% win rate (5 from a wonky placement series prior to our fix) with less than 20 games played doesn't qualify one for ST. This fix effected a lot of the top tier rungs, so keep in mind you may have been playing someone else who *also* had a broken skill-rating, not necessarily a 'true' ST league player.
07-22-2012, 01:37 AM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 02:45 AM by CombatEX.)
(07-17-2012 05:28 AM)Harti Wrote:  From my point of view it really does _NOT_ matter if it's

1) your league stats getting reset, you have to do 1 placement match (and get placed in a much lower league afterwards if you were in the wrong place before)

or

2) keep going, you will probably get demoted if you're in the wrong place.
/edit: 2b) keep going, you will probably get demoted when you lose your next game. Only one league down but mind you, the next game you lose will demote you, too! (seriously?)

These aren't the two solutions. I don't believe solution 1 is the fix, rather My preferred solution was simply a variation of 2 which was simply not to demote upon a win. That way if you have a 19-2 record and then don't lose, you'll stay in your current league (which makes sense since you aren't losing in that league in the first place).

(07-17-2012 05:28 AM)Harti Wrote:  Again, Gifted League shall be the highest you can get through your placements, which is why it's named "gifted" after all. Take it you're a natural in this game and feel honored.
How can you "master" a game you just started playing? Makes absolutely no sense!

I do agree with this. It's like how you can't place directly into Masters in SC2. However, for players who already placed in Masters, and have gone 7-0/8-0 etc against their fellow Masters players, it doesn't make sense for them to get demoted. Yes, you can say it's possible it's a fluke, but they've already made huge progress towards proving themselves (and honestly? 7-0 fluke? Unlikely). At least wait until they lose a game to reconsider their placement (Though I'd still find 9-1 against Masters getting demoted to Gifted to be nonsensical). Yea, I know that you had to go through a lot more, especially with the original reset after you had played tons of games. However, the questions isn't should people just have to put up with the solution despite its flaws (like you had to last time), but rather, is the solution flawed?

(07-17-2012 05:28 AM)Harti Wrote:  So please calm down, face reality (i.e. the fact that you can't be considered a master at a game you just went 19-2 in), convert your anger and hatred into motivation and begin to climb your way up. :O

For one, I wasn't angry at all when I wrote my original message because
1. I didn't have a 19-2 record. That was theoretical based on the posts I've seen from other people.
2. My original post was simply constructive criticism of what I felt was a flaw in the way things were handled. For you to assume I was angry was plain wrong =/ I just didn't think that's how the league fix should work.
3. At the time the problem didn't even apply to me so I most certainly had nothing to be angry about and hatred? Really? Hatred? What? I hate OML because some people I don't even know have had their rating lowered in a game? LOL 'ㅅ'a

But yea, now that it's happened to me (just got demoted with a 15-1 record, loss was against a Super-Titan). I am annoyed since it means I'm going to have to play more easy (boring) games against low ranked players... Keyword though is *annoyed* which is very different from being 'angry' or 'hateful'. Do I think things should have been handled differently in this case and in the future? Yes. Is it the end of the world if they aren't? No. Since there is no inflection on the internet I'd advise you not to make assumptions in the future. =/

Anyway... time to go crush those poor Gifted, Clever, and Unranked players I queued against ^^

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
07-25-2012, 02:07 AM
I am not sure of the science either but I will mention that I agree with Harti and one should earn their way into the Super Titan. I am probably not the norm but I was placed into Super Titan after going 5 and 0 on my matches. Since then, the game has been fun but 95% of my games are all against the same 4 great players (FrostHate, Appocolypse something, Sir and Harti). I will lose 10 games to every 1 win and although I am learning a heck of a lot from them, ideally a good match making system would give you fresh opponents get you a 50/50 record. Obviously when you are the best or the worst player than 50/50 isn't possible but the majority of players should hope to fall in that range. Winning every game or losing every game isn't that much fun.

Aside from that, I want to thank the creators for the game, I really do enjoy it. My favorite casual turn based strategy game was Commanders: Attack of the Genos (which was only on XBox Live and no one plays it anymore). I was hoping it would get ported to the iPad but there are no plans for that - this game however has some of the same aspects and thinking behind it.