Poll: Should OML publish hidden rankings?
Yes, publicize
No, don't publicize
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Publicize hidden rankings
02-13-2014, 06:55 AM
RE: Publicize hidden rankings
I personally would love to see the hidden rankings. It would tell people how close they were to each other.

For example, maybe when LER4T was 2nd he would have liked to see how much he went up each game he won so that he could get excited once he saw himself getting close to #1.

"Love is patient, love is kind....It does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1st Corinthians 13:4
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-2014, 07:14 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 07:15 AM by awpertunity.)
I'm at 92. my brother has 411....

(02-13-2014 06:55 AM)[PETA] Cor13:4 Wrote:  I personally would love to see the hidden rankings. It would tell people how close they were to each other.

For example, maybe when LER4T was 2nd he would have liked to see how much he went up each game he won so that he could get excited once he saw himself getting close to #1.

oh we still talking about this?

lol, yeah for high ranks it's not a big deal so maybe showing it for top 200 would be okay. the point is for the public to not be able to see their ratings
02-13-2014, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 07:30 AM by His_Daddy.)
(02-13-2014 06:55 AM)[PETA] Cor13:4 Wrote:  I personally would love to see the hidden rankings. It would tell people how close they were to each other.

you'll regret after seeing ler4t's score Big Grin

GO BACK TO THE TOPIC. I just found this website:
http://flapmmo.com/
so people can play flappy birds together. It makes you feel better seeing so many ppl fail at the same time with you.
02-13-2014, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 07:32 AM by Setorines.)
Or even esclair. (Rank 200) for most people in the gifted league.
02-13-2014, 07:36 AM
(02-13-2014 07:22 AM)His_Daddy Wrote:  GO BACK TO THE TOPIC. I just found this website:
http://flapmmo.com/
so people can play flappy birds together. It makes you feel better seeing so many ppl fail at the same time with you.

ok, so i just added a signature, so hopefully my additional comment won't be mistaken.

Fluffy League
02-13-2014, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 07:41 PM by Mag!cGuy.)
Why wouldn't something like this work: you can choose in the settings if:

_ you want to display your hidden rating skill to yourself/yourself + everyone.

And

_ you want to see the rating skill of the ones who display it.

This way, everyone would have what he wants, everyone would be happy Tongue That's why I don't understand your comment awp ^^

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
02-14-2014, 03:18 AM
http://terrycavanaghgames.com/maverickbird/

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-14-2014, 05:47 AM
For me it is a clear yes!
If in doubt make it an option and charge .99 for it to show up.

48 on flappy bird Smile chasing lawtais score....
By the way think about incorporating unintrusive ads like in flappy bird for the players who havent purchased anything to make your math work again on the revenue side

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.
02-15-2014, 04:32 AM
I didn't vote either way because I think there is a problem with the way the system is at present, but also do not favor the proposed solution.

Summary: Treat divisions as mini top 200 lists. That is, rank players within a division by their hidden skill instead of by the unintuitive point system.

The Problems
1. Simply showing overall ranking based on real skill is potentially discouraging for people who are far from the top. Fluctuating between rank 6000-7000 for instance. I believe OML stated this as part of their reasoning for not showing overall rank and it is also an opinion expressed by many others (Outwitters players like awpertunity for instance, but also companies like Riot and Blizzard).
2. The division point system is extremely misleading and a large source of confusion. Division points say next to nothing about relative skill and subsequently a player's rank in their division doesn't say much about when that player will be promoted or demoted. It is unintuitive that a player at the top of a division could be worse than a player in the middle of a division, yet this is currently the case. Aside from being confusing, it also means that players outside of the top 200 have a hard time judging their skill level. League gives a rough estimate, but outside of Master, leagues are quite large and there is a massive difference between players at the top of Gifted and the bottom of Gifted. Presently it is hard for players Fluffy-Gifted to really assess their skill within their leagues for the most part.

Proposed Solution
Rather than completely scrapping the current system and going to ELO, I suggest a compromise.
1. Scrap the point system. It serves no meaningful purpose. It does not reflect skill and results in confusion.
2. Rank players in a division by their hidden skill (the same way that the top 200 is rated).

This way we have the best of both worlds. Players in lower leagues now have a meaningful idea of how they are progressing. As they move up in their division it means that their hidden skill (true measure of skill instead of points) is increasing. When players are at the top of their division, they really are nearer to promotion than players beneath them and vice versa. This way players can have a good idea of their relative skill and progress even if they are out of the top 200. At the same time, this avoids the problem of players being rank 6000/7000/8000 etc because they are instead still grouped in 100 member divisions.

Ranks in the divisions would be meaningful because they are based on true skill (hidden rating), but players also won't be discouraged by being ranked in the thousands as they only see their position relative to the other 99 members in their division.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
02-15-2014, 05:01 AM
(02-15-2014 04:32 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  I didn't vote either way because I think there is a problem with the way the system is at present, but also do not favor the proposed solution.

Summary: Treat divisions as mini top 200 lists. That is, rank players within a division by their hidden skill instead of by the unintuitive point system.

The Problems
1. Simply showing overall ranking based on real skill is potentially discouraging for people who are far from the top. Fluctuating between rank 6000-7000 for instance. I believe OML stated this as part of their reasoning for not showing overall rank and it is also an opinion expressed by many others (Outwitters players like awpertunity for instance, but also companies like Riot and Blizzard).
2. The division point system is extremely misleading and a large source of confusion. Division points say next to nothing about relative skill and subsequently a player's rank in their division doesn't say much about when that player will be promoted or demoted. It is unintuitive that a player at the top of a division could be worse than a player in the middle of a division, yet this is currently the case. Aside from being confusing, it also means that players outside of the top 200 have a hard time judging their skill level. League gives a rough estimate, but outside of Master, leagues are quite large and there is a massive difference between players at the top of Gifted and the bottom of Gifted. Presently it is hard for players Fluffy-Gifted to really assess their skill within their leagues for the most part.

Proposed Solution
Rather than completely scrapping the current system and going to ELO, I suggest a compromise.
1. Scrap the point system. It serves no meaningful purpose. It does not reflect skill and results in confusion.
2. Rank players in a division by their hidden skill (the same way that the top 200 is rated).

This way we have the best of both worlds. Players in lower leagues now have a meaningful idea of how they are progressing. As they move up in their division it means that their hidden skill (true measure of skill instead of points) is increasing. When players are at the top of their division, they really are nearer to promotion than players beneath them and vice versa. This way players can have a good idea of their relative skill and progress even if they are out of the top 200. At the same time, this avoids the problem of players being rank 6000/7000/8000 etc because they are instead still grouped in 100 member divisions.

Ranks in the divisions would be meaningful because they are based on true skill (hidden rating), but players also won't be discouraged by being ranked in the thousands as they only see their position relative to the other 99 members in their division.

I like this approach. I completely agree that the points serve no noticeable purpose other than to place you in a semi-fake ranking in your division. They also confuse me when I lose to someone and they get 18 pts and I lose 5, and then I beat someone of "similar" rank to the person I lost to and I get 12 and they lose 10..? Makes no sense. Maybe do a pilot of the idea above by doing it first with just the STs (only one divison to worry about). Right now because of the Top 200, we know their relative skill, but they might like to see just how close in skill they actually are to each other, and not just a relative ranking. I don't think knowing this information will poison the game in any real way. I'm just not sure I buy all the negative consequences that people say will result from knowing. Lots of people playing in Fluffy, Clever, and even some Gifteds I would guess are not even aware of the hidden skill pts, and probably already treat the fake division points the way anyone would treat the hidden points if they were unhidden anyway. I just don't think anything catastrophic or even bad would result from knowing your hidden point value in your League (so you can see precisely where you are in Gifted or Masters for instance), and the benefits of removing a significant source of confusion would outweigh those negatives. Would also negate the need to come up with an endless supply of randomly generated oddball names for divisions (although I would miss the Laughing Skunks and Angry Bisons a little).

-DuMonster-
(also plays as DuMontster)