Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't we have an undo button again?
01-29-2014, 01:25 PM
RE: Why can't we have an undo button again?
Here's a purported proof of free will, in case anyone might find it helpful for future discussions about accidents vs. mistakes: http://home.sprynet.com/~owl1/fwill.htm

[/jokes]

In my opinion, there's not a whole lot to be gained from a debate about whether "try harder not to make mistakes" is a satisfactory answer to "why can't we have an Undo button?" It seems to me that the best thing is for everyone simply to voice their opinion about how much they would like to have a FoW-Limited Undo button and hope that Alex and Adam see the thread and consider it important enough to warrant spending man-hours on implementing it.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2014, 03:52 PM
I fully agree with this, perhaps to make sure it isn't abused there could be a limit to the times used in a turn, or charge 1 wit to undo something. So long as it doesn't affect the FoW it should be fine.
Find all posts by this user
01-29-2014, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 05:35 PM by Juslas.)
I bought iPad mini just for Outwitters. Since I misplayed with iPhone every other day.
But I learned: now misplays with iPhone are rare. Every one hundred turn rare.
I agree FoW not effected undo could save the turn, and there is move / cancel dialog already. Meaning rules aren't as strict as in Chess, where piece you touch needs to be moved.
Playing with phone allows me to take turns when I am on the move. I am addicted - playing with phone is my fix. But iPad is best device for Outwitters - play field view and room for fingers is superior.

iPad mini has other use, too. Great device, especially since household's bigger iPad is used by my wife.
01-29-2014, 10:07 PM (This post was last modified: 01-29-2014 10:08 PM by Mag!cGuy.)
Even though no one asked my opinion, I vote for keeping it as is. Mistakes are never out of control, so, well. And coding something like this might be hard, and it's certainly not worth it.

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
01-29-2014, 11:13 PM
Coding this is definitely not worth the work required. This would require an algorithm that checks to see if an undo should be available or not after every single action you take. I guess this could be done client side, but that exposes it to being more easily hacked and undoing any move you want. The algorithm would need to not only consider immediate FOV but something like bombshell splash damage letting you temporarily see something too.

There are so many things I would prefer time be spent on than this that I think would be easier to implement anyway. New maps? FOW replays? Wit counters on replays? Attack confirmations, and all special confirmations for that matter? Map vetoing/rotating league maps?
01-30-2014, 02:14 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2014 02:14 AM by His_Daddy.)
i would always praying for an undo button in pass and play mode though, making things much easier for mock ups.
01-30-2014, 02:16 AM
(01-30-2014 02:14 AM)His_Daddy Wrote:  i would always praying for an undo button in pass and play mode though, making things much easier for mock ups.

YES!

01-30-2014, 02:21 AM
(01-30-2014 02:14 AM)His_Daddy Wrote:  i would always praying for an undo button in pass and play mode though, making things much easier for mock ups.

+ 9000

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

01-30-2014, 02:26 AM
(01-30-2014 02:21 AM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  

+ 9000

Means that the total for this is OVER 9000!!!

01-30-2014, 02:27 AM
A free move mode would be great to create mockups so you wouldn't have to spawn units, instead you could just place them down on the map.